The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 May 21st 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ismu_aboo
Do you think spearman's rank will come up in question 1? And do they give the formula's

Posted from TSR Mobile

They give spearmans rank formula

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Melissajwilson
Draw a rough diagram under your answer of the graph with a line of best fit, showing what it looked like, and circle an anomaly. You shouldn't have mentioned spearmans rank, that's data analysis. Talk about what kind of correlation was present and what the trend was, talk about how many plots you put on the graph, and how you angled your line of best fit (through the mean average of both sets of data angled to pass through as many plots as possible) hope I helped

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so muchh!! I understand now :biggrin:
Original post by ismu_aboo
Do you think spearman's rank will come up in question 1? And do they give the formula's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last time spearman's rank came up was in January 2011 so there's a good chance it will. Yeah I think they always give the formulas. It's a bit complicated to remember! :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
I really need help with G2, I have my exam coming up (may 21st) and my teacher is useless! Can anyone give me any tips on whats most important to focus on? We're doing Extreme weather and Re-branding Places. Thank you so much!
They give spearmans rank formula

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by polka dots :)
Thank you so muchh!! I understand now :biggrin:

What other stuff should we be aware of :s-smilie: Do we only need to know about our methods and our data presentation? Like how did you know about what to write and include Melissa? :biggrin:

Thanks.
Original post by Blueray2
What other stuff should we be aware of :s-smilie: Do we only need to know about our methods and our data presentation? Like how did you know about what to write and include Melissa? :biggrin:

Thanks.

I have a really good teacher I guess! Do you want to know about fieldwork or the skills section? Can tell you everything you need to know for these two

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a really good teacher I guess! Do you want to know about fieldwork or the skills section? Can tell you everything you need to know for these two

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh both please :smile:

Okay

For the fieldwork section you should know the following things about your study:

- the aim of your study
- your hypothesis
- the theory you based your study on

- the exact location of your study
- why you chose that location
- the sampling technique you used ie. systematic, pragmatic

- the method you used to collect your data
- problems with your method
- justification of your method
- how you could improve your method

- the background sources you used throughout your study, ie. weather forecasts, textbooks for your theory
- risks during your study and how you delt with them ie. injury, hypothermia, depends on what you had to undergo to get your data

-how you presented your data
- justification of your method of presentation

- how you analysed your presented data ( in most cases, spearmans rank)
- advantages of this analysis
- disadvantages of tis analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the skills section you should be aware of these methods of data presentation and its good to have an idea of how to use them

Flow line maps
Desire line maps
Trip line maps
Chloropleth maps
Isoline maps
Dot maps
Bar and line graphs
Scatter graphs
Pie charts
Triangular graphs
Kite diagrams
Radial diagrams
Logarithmic scale graphs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay

For the fieldwork section you should know the following things about your study:

- the aim of your study
- your hypothesis
- the theory you based your study on

- the exact location of your study
- why you chose that location
- the sampling technique you used ie. systematic, pragmatic

- the method you used to collect your data
- problems with your method
- justification of your method
- how you could improve your method

- the background sources you used throughout your study, ie. weather forecasts, textbooks for your theory
- risks during your study and how you delt with them ie. injury, hypothermia, depends on what you had to undergo to get your data

-how you presented your data
- justification of your method of presentation

- how you analysed your presented data ( in most cases, spearmans rank)
- advantages of this analysis
- disadvantages of tis analysis

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the skills section you should be aware of these methods of data presentation and its good to have an idea of how to use them

Flow line maps
Desire line maps
Trip line maps
Chloropleth maps
Isoline maps
Dot maps
Bar and line graphs
Scatter graphs
Pie charts
Triangular graphs
Kite diagrams
Radial diagrams
Logarithmic scale graphs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow and is that it? :biggrin: Haha thanks, i'll be sure to learn that tomorrow! Btw +1 rep :wink:
Wow and is that it? :biggrin: Haha thanks, i'll be sure to learn that tomorrow! Btw +1 rep :wink:

Yeah that's pretty much it! When you answer the fieldwork questions you need to go into LOTS of detail, they want to see that you've actually done the fieldwork yourself, not just read it from a textbook! Include sketches where possible, and remember your spearmans rank number if you used it, and remember to say how you compared it to a table of significance.

Thanks for the rep!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
It's sooo long memorising the Fieldwork stuff! I think the stats part will be pretty easy though!
Reply 32
hey guys!!!!....im doing the crowded coasts..........how do i revise?????
Reply 33
do you think it will be a human or physical paper?
Reply 34
Last two papers have been graphical skills, so may be cartographic or stats I predict
Remember they may ask for a field sketch map, so make sure you can draw your study area and its characteristics! (last time they asked was Jan 2011)

If you have model answers prepared for fieldwork..make SURE you READ the command word of the question..many lose marks on ones such as 'Evaluate' where they just explain and don't justify using advantages/disadvantages

Remember the paper is marked by examiners in sections, don't think anyone will read and mark your entire paper, so be crystal clear when answering the questions especially on describing methodology/primary data collection so they would be able to follow your instructions - they want to know that you actually did this fieldwork and didn't copy from a textbook!

My prediction is physical, but sometimes they change it up. Population is more straight forward, rivers can catch you out more easily with a landform e.g. Jan 2010 labelled sketch of a meander. I'd say revise both equally just incase.

Also, ICT in use for fieldwork has not come up alot/at all, along with specific question on piloting techniques..any more questions ask me, I have sat this paper and looked through many mark schemes/past papers

Good luck everyone!!
Original post by Jade10128
Last two papers have been graphical skills, so may be cartographic or stats I predict
Remember they may ask for a field sketch map, so make sure you can draw your study area and its characteristics! (last time they asked was Jan 2011)

If you have model answers prepared for fieldwork..make SURE you READ the command word of the question..many lose marks on ones such as 'Evaluate' where they just explain and don't justify using advantages/disadvantages

Remember the paper is marked by examiners in sections, don't think anyone will read and mark your entire paper, so be crystal clear when answering the questions especially on describing methodology/primary data collection so they would be able to follow your instructions - they want to know that you actually did this fieldwork and didn't copy from a textbook!

My prediction is physical, but sometimes they change it up. Population is more straight forward, rivers can catch you out more easily with a landform e.g. Jan 2010 labelled sketch of a meander. I'd say revise both equally just incase.

Also, ICT in use for fieldwork has not come up alot/at all, along with specific question on piloting techniques..any more questions ask me, I have sat this paper and looked through many mark schemes/past papers

Good luck everyone!!

What are ICT questions :biggrin:
Where can I learn about the graphs etc and how much I need to know for it.
And when you say dont memorise a textbook answer for graphs, why not? Or what do you mean by that? :s-smilie: Surley the textbook is right? :smile:
Thanks!
Reply 36
Thanks for the heads up for what to prepare for. Goodluck to everyone
Reply 37
What are ICT questions :biggrin:
Where can I learn about the graphs etc and how much I need to know for it.
And when you say dont memorise a textbook answer for graphs, why not? Or what do you mean by that? :s-smilie: Surley the textbook is right? :smile:
Thanks!

An example for an ICT question may be 'Describe one application of ICT skills in carrying out your fieldwork and comment on its usefulness' (example from AQA)

I'm not saying don't memorize a textbook answer, but I've always been advised against especially for the skills section as more often than not you have to respond to the resource(s) given.
If you know your fieldwork inside out you should not need to memorize whole answers and you should instead know it well enough to apply it to any question in the exam, as it may be worded differently to what you've practiced and prepared for.
Original post by Jade10128
An example for an ICT question may be 'Describe one application of ICT skills in carrying out your fieldwork and comment on its usefulness' (example from AQA)

I'm not saying don't memorize a textbook answer, but I've always been advised against especially for the skills section as more often than not you have to respond to the resource(s) given.
If you know your fieldwork inside out you should not need to memorize whole answers and you should instead know it well enough to apply it to any question in the exam, as it may be worded differently to what you've practiced and prepared for.

What would the answer to that be? :biggrin:
Reply 39
What would the answer to that be? :biggrin:

I would use excel spreadsheets - using it to input data and then create scatter graphs/comparative bar graphs. Which enabled me to analyse the trends in my data and identify patterns/outliers in my results

Don't quote me on this though, will vary with each fieldwork investigation. If you are unsure go through it with your teacher :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest