The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Why's it so bloody grey outside? Supposed to be the middle of May, lighter evenings, warmer days, blast all of winters coldness away!

Instead it feels like winter is perpetual and the gloom will never end! :sad:
Original post by lethean girl
No such luck, I'm afraid. Just one short supervised walk, and, depending on which nurses are on duty, sometimes I'm judged too much of a risk for that. ;;

That's a shame. Have you been in hospital long? I know how frustrating it is not being allowed out :hugs: I hope you get some leave soon.
Reply 762
Original post by PonchoKid
need my brain to switch off now be going in circles!

:lovehug:

Original post by -FireFlies-
Haha just checking :ninja:

Ah okay well I now have you on skype so if ya wanna talk feel free to :tongue:

Yeah I will in a bit, dunno what to say though :ninja:

Original post by fire2burn
Why's it so bloody grey outside? Supposed to be the middle of May, lighter evenings, warmer days, blast all of winters coldness away!

Instead it feels like winter is perpetual and the gloom will never end! :sad:

Exactly :sad:. Last thing you want is to have to wear thermals and a jacket in May :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 763
Original post by -FireFlies-

Hahaha if they do, they'll have me to answer to :judge::tongue:... haha you'll find someone one day, then you'll be the one whose all lovey dovey at the beach :wink:. Chilling out is good :yep: I was knackered last night.. ended up sleeping at half 1, didn't up till like 1pm :facepalm:

Yep that's the way forward :biggrin:.. Read the dentist went well so that's good :smile: So you can now just chillax! Haha okay maybe not empty it, but still, go out and enjoy yourself :tongue:

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned (or something like that) :wink: She can come into my life at any point :biggrin: Haha, i'll rub it in and everything too :wink: Okay I wouldn't, but i'd tell you and helpfully you'd be proud of your lil bro like I would if it happens to my big sis :biggrin: Especially after 3 dayum hard weeks it is :yep: Standard late night late wake-up then haha, I hope you have better sleep tonight though :hugs:

My teeth are apparently really clean which is great obviously :tongue: I have some coursework to do but they won't take that long at all :smile: On Sunday, i'm doing my retail therapy so i'll enjoy that haha :h:

I hope you're having/had a boss day :smile:

Reply 764
Original post by Delain
Thank you. :hugs: My mum said she's quite chirpy atm and they've made her as comfy as possible so that's something at least. I'm quite tired as I've stayed up all night to make sure I don't miss going to see her. I'm feeling more positive as I found a really great job I'd love to do and I feel I'd be good at so I applied for that. It's working as a library assistant and it's my dream to work in a library so fingers crossed.

I'm so glad things seem a bit more positive and your nan is chirpy :hugs: That job sounds wonderful for you! Good luck, it would be great if you could get it at a time like this :hugs: Hope you manage some sleep too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 765
I got good news today because student finance have accepted my compelling personal reasons (depression) as the reason i suspended my last course, and they're giving me all 3 years funding :groovy: to start a new one (psychology) so im really pleased. Im only meant to have 2 years funding left but i literally begged them to give me another year in my letter and it worked!!

Yeah so that made my day.:smile:

Buuuut im back to being sad again now.:frown: I dont know if i'll ever escape this
Reply 766
Original post by IDukem
I can't help but feel that, especially when I feel it a lot in real life. But thank you! :hugs:

How can one be too nice? :tongue: It's not me being nice, it's me stating the obvious really and it just so happens to be nice :h: No worries hun, we all care for you and wish you all well :hugs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finished my dental appointment and my teeth are fine :biggrin: Bring on the weekend :biggrin:

Thanks again. It's just a bit difficult to understand why people would want to be nice to me for some reason. Glad the dentist went well! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eddie4921
I got good news today because student finance have accepted my compelling personal reasons (depression) as the reason i suspended my last course, and they're giving me all 3 years funding :groovy: to start a new one (psychology) so im really pleased. Im only meant to have 2 years funding left but i literally begged them to give me another year in my letter and it worked!!

Yeah so that made my day.:smile:

Buuuut im back to being sad again now.:frown: I dont know if i'll ever escape this

Glad to hear you managed to sort out student finance. Can be a nightmare at the best of times!

:hugs:
Original post by bullettheory
That's a shame. Have you been in hospital long? I know how frustrating it is not being allowed out :hugs: I hope you get some leave soon.

It's coming up on nine months now. How long are you usually in, out of interest?
Reply 769
Original post by 08batee
Thanks again. It's just a bit difficult to understand why people would want to be nice to me for some reason. Glad the dentist went well! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand this because I feel the same at times too. During the period of November 2012 - early March 2013, I felt like people who were trying to be nice to me are doing it for something to gain/taking advantage of me. Yet I felt so low that I welcomed it because I liked having some attention and perhaps had the false hope of them sticking with me in the long run. When people compliment me on this thread, I do take it into account and it does make me happier and raises my spirits because I know that people here will try and help me in one way or another. People like you, Fireflies, Sarah' and everyone else on this thread does provide some hope that a lot of the people in real life are helpful and kind like you guys. So when people are being kind to me on here, it makes me lower my guard a bit in real life and welcome people being kind in real life.
we're all different though and it does take longer for people to warm up to people being kind to them :smile:

I know it'll be hard to take in, but honestly Batee you are kind, you are compassionate, you are helpful etc. I know i'm some internet dude from the...internet :tongue: But from what I can gather is someone who has warm and pure personality. You may not think that way now, but hopefully one day you will :h:

Is anyone else applying for DLA (it still exists as DLA in my area) on mental health grounds? What should I expect if they ask for an assessment?
i have physical and mental health problems, am on a ridiculous amount of meds and desperatley trying to get through my a levels with no support, thankfully almost done and DSA help set up for uni, my only worry now is that i dont drink and cant stay up late or even go out for a soft drink during freshers because of my physical health problems. anyone else had this issue? how did it go?
Original post by lethean girl
Is anyone else applying for DLA (it still exists as DLA in my area) on mental health grounds? What should I expect if they ask for an assessment?

my mother (who i care for) has and i also have the same problems but dont consider myself bad enough to need DLA just yet. ive sat in a tribunal and heard them say things like 'WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING YOUR MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES'
if i were you i would be in touch with social services to help you fill out the form and if they say no (which they are to most people) make sure you appeal and go to the tribunal with representation which you can also get through social services. good luck!
Original post by superwolf
:five: Still number 1!

Hope you feel less lonely soon, and I'm here to offer my crappy advice whenever I can. :tongue:

:biggrin: I copy and paste all my MHSS quotes too, too precious to lose. :tongue:

:hugs: Anything in particular that keeps getting to you?

:lol: When I did it I just held the pan at arm's length til it went out (took ages), and went round opening all the doors and windows. :tongue:

:jumphug: Always remember that you are awesome!

That's great that they're considering it, keeping my fingers crossed for you. :crossedf:

:lazy:

Glad the exam went well. :smile:

Good luck with the new drug, and with getting a new psychiatrist. :smile:

:hugs: Brains are funny things, remember that you're not at all a bad person. And I really hope you will find happiness soon.

I guess just take them and then go to bed within a certain time then? Sucks that they have that effect, but it could be a lot worse - you don't feel like that during the day at least, and it's definitely better than full-blown psychosis, which would have an even bigger effect on you. :console:

I'm ok, have decided to bribe myself into doing work. :tongue: If I do either 10 minutes a day or two hours in total of studying by the end of the week then I get to buy a book on making your own sweeties. :biggrin: I've also bought a sugar thermometer and am gonna have a go at scientifically making honeycomb! :drool:

:frown: Hope things get sorted for you soon.

I dunno about straight lines, I definitely wobble all over the place. :tongue: Have you found anything in the past that can keep you on an up, like seeing people more, eating better or getting exercise?

Awwr you totally deserve getting help. :hugs: Would you feel ok about maybe getting one of your friends with problems to go to the doctor's with you? Having someone know about what's going on and go with you for moral support might really help you. :smile: And it does sound like you could really benefit from professional help, it's a good sign that you're so aware of what your problems are, and that you do want to get better.

You got any hobbies? I did a fair bit of knitting in hospital - ended up unravelling it all later cos it was crap, but it still gave me something to do. :tongue:

:hugs: Sorry your mum's having such a hard time of it - I take it you've talked to her about what you think she should do? Try and make sure she realises you only want to support her and help her out, and that you're not having a go at her - sometimes people can get a bit defensive about not wanting help and trying to be as independent as possible, but it does sound like she could do with some extra help.

Well you're not. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I know it's confusing and scary what your mind's going through at the moment, but trust me this really is a good thing. You can make it through this, and the news you've got is a definite step forward. :smile:

:hugs: Glad you got somewhere with it - I'll have to come sample your coffee sometime! Hope you can give yourself a bit of rest now.

Maybe it would help to talk to someone who's already had kids about your options - didn't you say you/your boyfriend had a friend with young kids? She might be able to reassure you about what it'll be like, and go through the pros and cons of the different options. Remember you don't have to cope with this all on your own, you've got your boyfriend, professionals, friends and us. :smile:

How did the CMHT appointment go? :smile:

I'm doing alright, feeling really lazy in comparison to all my flatmates though.

Hope the job turns out ok. :smile: And yeah, sounds like stress could be the cause for your feeling sick, the same thing's happened to me before too. Remember to take things easy, and not to worry too much about the future, things tend to work themselves out in the end.

That doesn't sound entirely healthy - are you getting any help for it? If something's interfering with your life to that extent then it's worth getting help to try and sort it.

:hugs: Sorry you feel so trapped, but there's a way out of practically every situation. Dunno if you'll feel like sharing, but if you tell people about your situation then they might come up with some ideas about changing it or at least making it more bearable.

Hey Eddie, welcome to the society. :smile:

I'm glad to hear you do have a friend who's supportive about your gender issues - maybe you could take her to the doctor's with you when the time comes that you want to tell him about it? And it's also good that your antidepressants have started working - mines have been an absolute lifesaver at times.

What course is it you're doing? Second year isn't too late to switch to something else you know, if there's another course you think you'd enjoy more.

Woo, well done! :biggrin:

:hugs: Hope you feel better now.

Hi. :smile:

Depression can feel different for different people, or even change from episode to episode within the same person. Some of the ways it can manifest itself: physical pain (it actually hurts to do simple things like get out of bed, eat etc.), lethargy, loss of interest in hobbies/friends etc. Low self-esteem and anxiety also go along with depression a lot of the time, and even guilt about feeling this way, or suspecting that you're not really ill at all. It can feel like you're completely cut off from the world, that nothing you do has an effect on anything, and that nobody would care if you just disappeared.

If it was me, I'd try writing your brother a note, saying how much you care about him but that you're not sure how to show it/what he wants from the people around him (of course he might not know this himself). Just tell him you're there for him, and keep reaching out to him every once in a while to do stuff in real life - even if he keeps saying no, he'll probably prefer that to thinking you've forgotten about him.

:hugs: Don't feel guilty, you've not done anything wrong - thoughts aren't actions.

What kind of dog you got?

:hugs: Hope you get to see her.

:console: I've done the same myself at uni. Try not to feel too bad, it happens to the best of us that things just get too much to hide.

That's great! :biggrin:

:hugs: You're not a freak, you're awesome.

I just finished watching the whole of Buffy :five: - now onto Firefly, and Dollhouse is next.

Well done. :smile:

Welcome back. :smile:

:hugs: You'll never be deliberately ignored on here.

Hey, glad to see you back! :jumphug: Hope you're not doing too badly despite trickiness. Personally I've been better, but then I've also been a hell of a lot worse. :tongue:

Sounds like a great day, and well done for having some lunch. :smile:

It's mainly just to do with talking to my university department about the course and them informing me there is no way to switch, so I'll have to tough it out another 2/3 years the consider doing Medicine or whatever afterwards. I'm so miserable though I don't know how I'll get through the next 2 months, never mind years :frown:

Also I found out yesterday my friend that I used to volunteer with on a regular basis and knew as a child who has been ill for a year or so, is terminal :frown: Horrible horrible news
Reply 774
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Glad to hear you managed to sort out student finance. Can be a nightmare at the best of times!

thank you :clap2: haha yes it drives me crazy :cry2:
Reply 775
I really hate my housemate, she's far too freaking nice. I hate wanting to die all the time and I hate people having to look after me when it isn't their responsibility. And I really hate drunk, smoking men who don't understand the meaning of the phrase 'leave us alone' And I really really hate ptsd and I hate flashbacks and flashbacks in public and being so out of control and I hate my brain and how incapable I am and how weak and how much of a victim I still am.
Is there something seriously wrong with me if i love the abuser i call my boyfriend?
Original post by Sultana
I really hate my housemate, she's far too freaking nice. I hate wanting to die all the time and I hate people having to look after me when it isn't their responsibility. And I really hate drunk, smoking men who don't understand the meaning of the phrase 'leave us alone' And I really really hate ptsd and I hate flashbacks and flashbacks in public and being so out of control and I hate my brain and how incapable I am and how weak and how much of a victim I still am.

Sometimes i get suspicious of people who are too nice. I think they're plotting against me, that's why they're being nice to me....
Original post by bullettheory
My name is sjlbruce - add me if you like :smile: Also anyone else, add me too if you like :smile:

Will do cheers :smile: Internet is being a bitch right now though :facepalm:

Original post by Deyesy
The good ole' days :moon: I've got such a soft spot for Grantly :redface:

Oh and my Skype is 'deyesy' :smile:

I know :daydream: I've only watched half the episode - net keeps going haywire.. but it's sooo sad :cry2: I used to not be able to stand him... but he's such a softie! (even if he doesn't show it haha)

Original post by avhhs

Yeah I will in a bit, dunno what to say though :ninja:

Anything haha :L

Original post by IDukem
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned (or something like that) :wink: She can come into my life at any point :biggrin: Haha, i'll rub it in and everything too :wink: Okay I wouldn't, but i'd tell you and helpfully you'd be proud of your lil bro like I would if it happens to my big sis :biggrin: Especially after 3 dayum hard weeks it is :yep: Standard late night late wake-up then haha, I hope you have better sleep tonight though :hugs:

My teeth are apparently really clean which is great obviously :tongue: I have some coursework to do but they won't take that long at all :smile: On Sunday, i'm doing my retail therapy so i'll enjoy that haha :h:

I hope you're having/had a boss day :smile:

Hahaha... you rub it in, and I'll... and I'll... I dunno what I'll do but it won't be pleasant haha :L... I'm only joking :tongue: I would indeed be proud and happy that you'd have found someone :biggrin: :yep: mind you that's my sleep pattern as always haha so hey ho, but it's annoying when I'm up half the night and no one else is awake :frown:

That's good then :biggrin: <--- nice shiny teeth like this dude here :tongue: Hope you have a fun Sunday :h:

Ehhhhhhhhh 50/50 haha.

Reply 779
Had a semi bearable day. Felt low and a little hopeless here and there, but no proper flashbacks, no voices or hallucinations, sort of lay around feeling peacefully depressed I guess. It's sad that I call this a good day though tbh. Can definitely feel my mood dropping a lot over the last hour or so though.Ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest