The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE Spanish Reading & Listening (Friday May 17th)

Scroll to see replies

listening was impossinble. anyone know what the grade boundaries might be for it?
Reply 21
Original post by Hazwaz7
Well, I got an A* (full marks) in all coursework, and as long as that doesn't change during moderation, I need to have got a mid-B in both of today's exams for an overall A*

It's difficult to say how many raw marks a 'mid-B' might be, because obviously the boundaries change.

Okay, that makes sence, but if I have full marks on my coursework, an A* in my reading and a C in my listening, what would the grade be then?
Original post by Anna_1997
Okay, that makes sence, but if I have full marks on my coursework, an A* in my reading and a C in my listening, what would the grade be then?

If it's a high A* and a high C, then an overall A*.
If it's a low A* and a low C, then an overall A (incredibly close to an A*).
What overall grade would i get, if i have B's in Speaking and Writing, But an A and A High A* in reading and listening??
Original post by ShelleyStudent
What overall grade would i get, if i have B's in Speaking and Writing, But an A and A High A* in reading and listening??

An A or a B, it depends on the exact marks. It's exactly on the borderline!
Original post by Hazwaz7
An A or a B, it depends on the exact marks. It's exactly on the borderline!

Would it not be a mid A? As i'm pretty sure i got like 97% in my reading paper!
also, could anyone make a unofficial mark scheme for listening and/or reading? it would be greatly appreciated
Lets share some answers for the listening guys!
Original post by Hazwaz7
I'd love to be fluent as well!

At our school, grammar is a really big focus and therefore we all are really good at it to be honest. One time, the spanish teacher from college visited my school to moderate some work, and she ended up observing one of my Spanish lessons as well. She walked around the class and spoke to us in Spanish, and she applauded us on how accurate our grammar was and how much that will help us if we continue spanish at college :biggrin:
If I were you, I'd try to learn as many tense conjugations as my brain would hold. This would probably make your life a bit easier next year :smile: What other subjects are you doing at college?

I wish we had a different place to do our listening exam in, but there is literally no other space available... My school is really quite small :frown:

I haven't watched any telenovelas per se, but I've seen a couple of episodes on youtube of The Simpsons/Friends/Scrubs which have been dubbed in Spanish and, although I don't understand everything, it has really helped me 'tune in' to Spanish much better which has definitely improved my listening skills. I also tend to listen to spanish songs or spanish covers of English songs on YouTube and I prefer it when the lyrics are given in the video because this helps me identify words and recognise their pronunciation :smile:

I fortunately got full marks in all my controlled assessments for Spanish (woop!), so that will really help to boost my grade if I end up not doing so well in the exams. However, I'm very concerned about whether my controlled assessment scores will be lowered following their moderation, because last year a guy who was super good at spanish ended up with his writing assessments being lowered from full marks to a D. My teacher appealed but WJEC didn't respond with a full explanation for this and refused to re-moderate it... Now, my teacher is beginning to wonder whether, with WJEC, there is such a thing as a 'too good' controlled assessment. I reaaaally hope I don't experience a repeat of that guy's situation!

Omg the exams are tomorrow! I'm sooooooo nervous. I know that I know plenty of vocab etc, but I'm 100% sure that the vocab that comes up in the exams will the vocab that I don't know. Asvhghkb.

Yeah a few people who've already done it also said I should do as much grammar as possible. I think I will in the holidays - along with the huge list of things I want to do when I'm done with these exams!
In college I'm also going to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths. What about you?
Last year in our school they gave close to everyone one or two marks more! The fact that the controlled assessments are quite easy to get good marks in (if you learn everything) means they are mean in the exams. I guess they sorta have to be otherwise everyone would have A* and they don't like that!

How did you find the exam? I know I got six or so wrong in the listening - e.g. when the flat would be ready but I still think it's okay because everyone found it so hard. But the reading was obviously better - I think I only got 3 wrong there. Either way I think I'm okay. Yay!
Original post by ShelleyStudent
Would it not be a mid A? As i'm pretty sure i got like 97% in my reading paper!

Going from last year's grade boundaries, without knowing exactly your marks, I would say that it could be anywhere from a high B to a low A.
Original post by blue.racoon59
Yeah a few people who've already done it also said I should do as much grammar as possible. I think I will in the holidays - along with the huge list of things I want to do when I'm done with these exams!
In college I'm also going to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths. What about you?
Last year in our school they gave close to everyone one or two marks more! The fact that the controlled assessments are quite easy to get good marks in (if you learn everything) means they are mean in the exams. I guess they sorta have to be otherwise everyone would have A* and they don't like that!

How did you find the exam? I know I got six or so wrong in the listening - e.g. when the flat would be ready but I still think it's okay because everyone found it so hard. But the reading was obviously better - I think I only got 3 wrong there. Either way I think I'm okay. Yay!

As well as Spanish, I'm planning on doing geology, biology and chemistry... But I might end up changing my choices after results day! :tongue:

In the reading, I reckon I've got between 34 and 40 marks... So probably an A, maybe an A*.

In the listening, quite a few of my answers were guesses and therefore I'd say that I'll probably get a B, maybe an A. I'm unsure really! We're going through the papers next week in class so I guess I'll be able to estimate my results better after that.
The vocab in both the reading and the listening was very simple, but in the listening I just couldn't make out many of the words that were being said! Some of the voices were horrible :frown:
Original post by LookIts_Liam
Lets share some answers for the listening guys!

Ok Q1 a) late b) gym c) has lunch ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bluffroom
I though it was unreal how easy that was I think I dropped maybe 4 on the listening and a few on the reading.

I am guessing the UMS will be high for an A* but i doubt that you would need any more than a 32 for an A* - unless they are gonna pass that barrier for the first time.

I was surprised at how lovely the listenign was compared to the french

Well I don't do French, so I can't compare it to that. But I don't really feel confident about my listening answers :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hazwaz7
As well as Spanish, I'm planning on doing geology, biology and chemistry... But I might end up changing my choices after results day! :tongue:

In the reading, I reckon I've got between 34 and 40 marks... So probably an A, maybe an A*.

In the listening, quite a few of my answers were guesses and therefore I'd say that I'll probably get a B, maybe an A. I'm unsure really! We're going through the papers next week in class so I guess I'll be able to estimate my results better after that.
The vocab in both the reading and the listening was very simple, but in the listening I just couldn't make out many of the words that were being said! Some of the voices were horrible :frown:

Is geology the study of rocks and formation? I really hope that won't be the case! Is this because you reckon you haven't/won't hit the grades you need to get for the subjects?

I think I had a low A (depending on boundary) in listening and an A* in the reading. I'm happy. :smile:

I didn't think the voices were too bad. Our teacher gave us the WJEC booklet for all the vocab that had ever came up and I'm so glad he did! Because of that I got the 'propina' answer and that 'almuerzo' was lunch (I know it's simple vocab but I didn't know it before this year). Thank God.

By the way, yesterday night I did listen to some AQA ones and wow - it is way harder. I tried the foundation and foundation/higher and they were so easy. And then when you get to higher BAM they suddenly make it 100x harder.

Poor people not doing WJEC - reading the forums AQA and OCR seems harder.
What did you guys put for the film question in the listening - thriller or action? It was 'aventura' which means adventure and could be either - bit ambiguous i think! Also, in the reading, for the book question, for the question that said 'what would you read if you wanted a thriller?' Did you put sci fi or police stories? Again, ambiguous!
Original post by mathsfreak8162
Ok Q1 a) late b) gym c) has lunch ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they're all right, I didn't get the lunch one though :frown: for the flat question did you get a) close to everything, central b) oven, dishwasher c) summer?
Yeah they're all right, I didn't get the lunch one though :frown: for the flat question did you get a) close to everything, central b) oven, dishwasher c) summer?

Ahh no:frown: a lot of people missed the lunch tbf it wasn't very clear and yeah I got all them but put washing machine was going to put oven as well damn!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you guys put for the film question in the listening - thriller or action? It was 'aventura' which means adventure and could be either - bit ambiguous i think! Also, in the reading, for the book question, for the question that said 'what would you read if you wanted a thriller?' Did you put sci fi or police stories? Again, ambiguous!

Me and my friends were saying how unfair this was I put action film and police stories but quite a lot of people put the opposite!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did paco's parents want to go on a Mediterranean cruise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending