The Student Room Group

GDL exams are making me want to tear my hair out

I don't know if anyone has been in the same position as me, although the likelihood is yes. I'm in the middle of doing GDL exams and I'm finding that my self-belief is really taking a hit. Although I may have one, possibly two, good questions in an exam, there's at least one (and has been two) question(s) which I've been unable to complete in the allotted time.

Obviously there's a lot riding on the GDL viz. the future but I wondered if anyone has been, or is, in the same position and can offer any advice, comfort, or hope? I've never been in the position where I haven't finished exam questions and it's making me believe that I'm going to fail regardless of my application etc.

Help....
Reply 1
1. Write less; or
2. Write faster.
Original post by hpsauce
I don't know if anyone has been in the same position as me, although the likelihood is yes. I'm in the middle of doing GDL exams and I'm finding that my self-belief is really taking a hit. Although I may have one, possibly two, good questions in an exam, there's at least one (and has been two) question(s) which I've been unable to complete in the allotted time.

Obviously there's a lot riding on the GDL viz. the future but I wondered if anyone has been, or is, in the same position and can offer any advice, comfort, or hope? I've never been in the position where I haven't finished exam questions and it's making me believe that I'm going to fail regardless of my application etc.

Help....

I was the same last year and ended up with a high commendation. It was disappointing in one respect, but not as bad as expected.

I still have no idea how they expect you to get everything down in sufficient detail in the time allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I completed the GDL last year. If you find time is an issue in the exams, a tip I would give you is to read the first question, if you can answer it just go for it. Then after that move on to the second, answer that if you can etc. Don't waste time reading all six to decide which to do. Only go to a later question if you can't do the one you have just read. The length of questions is a real issue for some exams, particularly for contract and crime - you could spend a good 30-40 minutes analysing them if you're not careful.

The easiest of the exams I would say are public law and EU.

I just practiced old exam papers over and over and found this was the easiest way to get the information in there and practice writing at the speed required.

Hope this helps a little.
Reply 4
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I was the same last year and ended up with a high commendation. It was disappointing in one respect, but not as bad as expected.

Well, that is comforting! Did you know others who were in a similar position?

Do you remember roughly speaking how far you would get through a question? I ask because on a couple of occasions I've found that I've had to stop my answer either just over half way through or around the 3/4 mark, with claims still left to analyse? I was especially guilty of this in Tort with gen neg and employers' liability.

I guess it's better to do a couple of claims well rather than rush to finish and do them all poorly!
Reply 5
I did the GDL a few years ago and had always struggled with timing issues in the past. I found the best thing to do was spend 15 mins planning my answers to questions - 5 mins on each. Get a structure together and then you'll know what is and is not necessary. Allot yourself time for each question and stick to it. That way you will have at least attempted to get an answer on the page for each question.

I was also told that if time ran out - bullet point. Get your key cases points and cases down - the fluff in the middle isn't too important. The only thing I would say about bullet points is that it may be a good idea to check this with your course leader - NLS were fine with it when I did it but I don't want to be responsible if your law school isn't ok with it!

Good luck!t

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending