The Student Room Group

Changing subjects?!

So I have picked my subjects for next year and they are :
higher biology, higher chemistry, int2 info systems, int2 maths and int2 hospitality.
i was ment to be taking 4 highers but due to my crap prelim results I could only take two.
now that I have done the majority of my exams and I rethinking what to take next year.
I was thinking of swapping int2 hospitality for higher geography, but I have never done geography before! Is it quite easy to pick up? Have you even crashed geography and what is it like? I would really like to get higher geog this year as I want to do chemistry at university and will need three highers this year and another 2 next year along with an advanced higher or two highers this year and 3 next year and an advanced higher. (That's what my school said!)

Also, people in my year have been allowed to drop pe in 5th and use it as a study period, would it make it any easier if I had another period of geography when I should have pe? Also is it really compulsory to do PE in 5th because I cannot find an answer anywhere!
You could easily skip out Int2 Info Systems, it's really straightforward and you could go on to do Higher instead, that's another option.
Reply 2
Original post by Bromaldehyde
You could easily skip out Int2 Info Systems, it's really straightforward and you could go on to do Higher instead, that's another option.

Well my computing teacher did say that if I achieved a 1 in standard grade computing studies than she will give me the choice of either staying at Int2 or going up to higher. So I suppose it could work but depends on my results!
For Geography, it's basically just SG but a bit extra. It's quite a good subject if you're already good at it, but as you'd be crashing it, it might be harder. I know a girl who is crashing Geography next year ( she wants to do marine biology) and the head of Geography has been helping her once a week during a PE period to get her used to some of the stuff that is in the higher course. The best thing to do is speak to the teacher who will be taking the higher class, as they will have the best opinion whether or not its possible to crash it.
I think it is compulsory to take PE, but it may not be in your school so you could ask your year head.
Geography is really quite easy, I crashed it this year, the odd thing is a bit confusing but it's an easy crash higher. I don't think pe is compulsory purely because at my school after 4th year there was no core pe, and the only people who did pe are the ones who took higher pe.
Reply 5
My friends didn't do geography at GCSE but did at A-Level and one got an A and one a B so I'd say it's pretty easy to pick up on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Higher geography is basically memorising... if you've got a good memory I'd recommend taking it. Plus if you have any difficulties you could always ask people on here :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by CSM1996
Higher geography is basically memorising... if you've got a good memory I'd recommend taking it. Plus if you have any difficulties you could always ask people on here :smile:

How easy is it to get a A or a B? It's purely because I need atleast 3 B's this year for university.
Reply 8
Original post by alfalimaindia
Geography is really quite easy, I crashed it this year, the odd thing is a bit confusing but it's an easy crash higher. I don't think pe is compulsory purely because at my school after 4th year there was no core pe, and the only people who did pe are the ones who took higher pe.

Did you find that you were behind the rest of the class when you first started the course? Is the questions basically in the same context, but worded differently? Because I know they are like that in RMPS.
Original post by shaneh97
Did you find that you were behind the rest of the class when you first started the course? Is the questions basically in the same context, but worded differently? Because I know they are like that in RMPS.

Nope, what do you mean by the questions in the same context but worded differently?
Reply 10
Original post by alfalimaindia
Nope, what do you mean by the questions in the same context but worded differently?

Like the questions that are in the exams and NABs are basically about the same things, but each year they come up they are worded differently?
fr example in re they may ask you "what are the benefits of taw hid" then they could ask another year " would all Muslims agree that the benefits of taw hid out weigh the disadvantages". There both the same question but worded differently.
Like the questions that are in the exams and NABs are basically about the same things, but each year they come up they are worded differently?
fr example in re they may ask you "what are the benefits of taw hid" then they could ask another year " would all Muslims agree that the benefits of taw hid out weigh the disadvantages". There both the same question but worded differently.

I think so, like all subjects they reuse the questions every so often.
Reply 12
How easy is it to get a A or a B? It's purely because I need atleast 3 B's this year for university.

Well depends on how good your memory is. I am sitting it this year but in the prelim I got 95% (God knows how) but I just memorised stuff :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending