The Student Room Group

Feeling a bit stuck in life - would like advice!

I graduated from Nottingham Trent University in July 2012 with a 2.2 in Psychology. About a month after graduation, I got a £17,000 a year basic admin job at a City Council. 10 months on - I'm still doing the same job and feel like there's nowhere to progress. I am interested in pursuing a career in HR Management but at the age of 23 I feel like I lack the experience and skills and I'm not really sure how valuable my degree is. I really do not want to get stuck doing admin jobs all my life! Can anyone with similar experiences offer any advice or support as this would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone?
Original post by ultimate mashup
I graduated from Nottingham Trent University in July 2012 with a 2.2 in Psychology. About a month after graduation, I got a £17,000 a year basic admin job at a City Council. 10 months on - I'm still doing the same job and feel like there's nowhere to progress. I am interested in pursuing a career in HR Management but at the age of 23 I feel like I lack the experience and skills and I'm not really sure how valuable my degree is. I really do not want to get stuck doing admin jobs all my life! Can anyone with similar experiences offer any advice or support as this would be greatly appreciated.

I would think it best to find a path you want.

ie HR Management, you will need to look for development opportunites, perhaps apply to HR graduate schemes such as HuntressGroup, most banks and big corporations also have HR schemes.

Just an idea; if all this fails try to look for other jobs where progression is more viable.
Original post by FranticMind
I would think it best to find a path you want.

ie HR Management, you will need to look for development opportunites, perhaps apply to HR graduate schemes such as HuntressGroup, most banks and big corporations also have HR schemes.

Just an idea; if all this fails try to look for other jobs where progression is more viable.

Thanks mate, I'd definitely be willing to take another low rank job if it was in a sector I would feel happy progressing in, but the job market just seems dead at the moment. Even low rank jobs ask for relevant work experience, I just feel trapped :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending