The Student Room Group

OCR A2 LAW G153 Criminal Law 1 - June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
In July 2012, the Law Commission published a scoping paper on insanity and automatism and the deadline for responses was October 2012, could anybody please tell me in brief what the response was? My teacher told it us before the special study back in January but I appear to have misplaced it. :frown:
Reply 61
Original post by jool
In July 2012, the Law Commission published a scoping paper on insanity and automatism and the deadline for responses was October 2012, could anybody please tell me in brief what the response was? My teacher told it us before the special study back in January but I appear to have misplaced it. :frown:

I know I did read it but unfortunately could not find it, however I tried searching online and found a few articles that could be of help:

http://www.criminallawandjustice.co.uk/features/Insanity-and-Automatism-%E2%80%93-Response-Law-Commission-%E2%80%93-Part-I
http://www.criminallawandjustice.co.uk/features/Insanity-and-Automatism-%E2%80%93-Response-Law-Commission-%E2%80%93-Part-II
Reply 62

'The full content of this page is available to premium users only.'

Never mind! :frown: Can't see an essay coming up on it anyway as it was the special study, just wanted to be sure but it should be okay.
Reply 63
Original post by jool
'The full content of this page is available to premium users only.'

Never mind! :frown: Can't see an essay coming up on it anyway as it was the special study, just wanted to be sure but it should be okay.

Go to www.google.co.uk and type: Insanity and Automatism- A Response to the Law Commission Part I, then again the same for part II. You should be able to see read it now. :smile:
Is anybody else starting to get really worried now? I feel very unprepared, which is unusual since normally I'm happy with how I'm doing in mocks etc. but I'm only getting half of the marks on each question...

I'm planning on reading a few of the ocr examiner reports, and familiarising myself by writing as many essays as I can (except I don't have a teacher to mark them so I won't know where I'm going right)... Does anybody have any other tips on how to improve on actual essay writing? :redface:
Reply 65
hii.. i'm just as worried as you :frown: a good way to know what the examiners are looking for in answers is to look at mark schemes and use those with revision.. a pattern my teacher has noticed is a liabilities essay ALWAYS comes in so you can cut the odds down by revising your liabilities really well :smile:
Original post by feelinginfinite
Is anybody else starting to get really worried now? I feel very unprepared, which is unusual since normally I'm happy with how I'm doing in mocks etc. but I'm only getting half of the marks on each question...

I'm planning on reading a few of the ocr examiner reports, and familiarising myself by writing as many essays as I can (except I don't have a teacher to mark them so I won't know where I'm going right)... Does anybody have any other tips on how to improve on actual essay writing? :redface:
Reply 66
hello law buddies :biggrin: I'm resitting G154 in June and my teacher predicts an automatism essay is going to come up on sleepwalking .. anyone have any revision notes on sleepwalking cases I can use ?
Reply 67
Original post by fats_12
hello law buddies :biggrin: I'm resitting G154 in June and my teacher predicts an automatism essay is going to come up on sleepwalking .. anyone have any revision notes on sleepwalking cases I can use ?

No notes directly on sleepwalking in particular but I've attached the revision notes I used for January's exam, got around 93% UMS. There's some sleepwalking cases in there somewhere, I also suggest you check up on R v Lowe (2005) as it conflicts with quite a lot of the law. :rolleyes: Hope they help!
Original post by fats_12
hii.. i'm just as worried as you :frown: a good way to know what the examiners are looking for in answers is to look at mark schemes and use those with revision.. a pattern my teacher has noticed is a liabilities essay ALWAYS comes in so you can cut the odds down by revising your liabilities really well :smile:

By a "liabilities essay" do you mean a Q1 essay? And do you mean just on strict liability? Otherwise I'm unsure what you mean :colondollar: but thanks anyway!
Reply 69
Original post by feelinginfinite
By a "liabilities essay" do you mean a Q1 essay? And do you mean just on strict liability? Otherwise I'm unsure what you mean :colondollar: but thanks anyway!

same here a bit confused:confused: i suppose that you perhap meant everything else excepts for the defences????
Reply 70
sorry for not making myself clear.. basically there are a possible 17 essays you can get for Section A (Q1) an omiisons, strict liability, causation, intention, actus reus/mens rea essay always comes up.. so we were told that if we revise those 5 areas propely you sorted on your essay part of the exam..hope that helps :smile:

Original post by khan20
same here a bit confused:confused: i suppose that you perhap meant everything else excepts for the defences????
Original post by khan20

Original post by fats_12
sorry for not making myself clear.. basically there are a possible 17 essays you can get for Section A (Q1) an omiisons, strict liability, causation, intention, actus reus/mens rea essay always comes up.. so we were told that if we revise those 5 areas propely you sorted on your essay part of the exam..hope that helps :smile:

Oh I understand what you mean, thanks for clearing that up :smile: Just thought I'd mention as well (for Khan20 who was also confused) to say that some Q1 essays on years are more specific- so "intention" is "intention for murder"

Also, my teacher said that Q1 essays usually have one on out of the general defences (insanity, automatism, duress, intoxication) - except for in June 2011 when "strict liability + consent" were there instead. And in Jan 2012 when loss of control/Diminished responsibility was there instead.

I've noticed theft and non fatal OAP and manslaughter come up every year so focussing revision on those. Personally, I'm hoping it's for a duress/attempts problem essay + theft scenario + OAP/insanity dilemma board)... has anyones teachers gave them predictions? :tongue:
Reply 72
we were told insanity/automatism definitely wont come up on Q1 as its the special study paper.. however its a possibilty that it may come up on the problem questions and dilemma boards..

for Q1 manslaughter, self defence and SL are veru unlikely to come up as they came up in Jan13.. thankss for the tip on the defences question :smile:

manslaugther might come up in the problem questions we were told today.. if muder and SL comes up i wont be answering them as i'm missing those topics out..big risk

i'm just praying OAPA, causation/ omissions theft comes up :smile:

QUOTE=feelinginfinite;42771405]Oh I understand what you mean, thanks for clearing that up :smile: Just thought I'd mention as well (for Khan20 who was also confused) to say that some Q1 essays on years are more specific- so "intention" is "intention for murder"

Also, my teacher said that Q1 essays usually have one on out of the general defences (insanity, automatism, duress, intoxication) - except for in June 2011 when "strict liability + consent" were there instead. And in Jan 2012 when loss of control/Diminished responsibility was there instead.

I've noticed theft and non fatal OAP and manslaughter come up every year so focussing revision on those. Personally, I'm hoping it's for a duress/attempts problem essay + theft scenario + OAP/insanity dilemma board)... has anyones teachers gave them predictions? :tongue:
Original post by fats_12
we were told insanity/automatism definitely wont come up on Q1 as its the special study paper.. however its a possibilty that it may come up on the problem questions and dilemma boards..

for Q1 manslaughter, self defence and SL are veru unlikely to come up as they came up in Jan13.. thankss for the tip on the defences question :smile:

manslaugther might come up in the problem questions we were told today.. if muder and SL comes up i wont be answering them as i'm missing those topics out..big risk

i'm just praying OAPA, causation/ omissions theft comes up :smile:

I'm guessing that since causation is such a small topic it would have to come up in a scenario with non fatal/manslaughter? and ask if it was the stabbers fault or the hospitals fault (classic Jordan case example with the penicillin :tongue: ). For that reason, I'm going to learn manslaughter since I can't risk it. And I'll learn SL cases briefly but pretty much missing it out I think - I have no idea what sort of questions they'd ask and it's quite a short topic I think (except for a question such as "strict liability is necessary" in which case it's positives and negatives) :colondollar:

Question for you + everyone:
Does anybody happen to have "key point plans" for the essays? (my teacher calls them that) - you know how you're meant to have 8 key facts for each topic (e.g for murder, the 1st key point is to say it's defined in Coke) ? :redface:
Reply 74
Duress may not come up as it has been a special study so intoxication could come up as defence in section 1 with the idea it will be special study for next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Or consent and necessity could come up?? Ahhh everything could come up worst exam hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aaf
Duress may not come up as it has been a special study so intoxication could come up as defence in section 1 with the idea it will be special study for next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by aaf
Or consent and necessity could come up?? Ahhh everything could come up worst exam hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't agree more that it's the worst exam! :tongue: Good thinking about intoxication being a Q1 ready for a special study on it next year! But duress hasn't came up as a special study, has it? So it could be that too :confused: I have the special studies down as:
2013 = insanity + automatism
2012 = attempts
2011 = manslaughter
2010 = non fatal OAP
... Then again it isn't even guaranteed that Q1 would be on something that hasn't been on before as a special :/
Reply 77
Oh my bad then! Thought it had come up already! Would love attempts or duress!!! Section b offences would be perfect as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Im revising this

Essay: Causation duress/intoxication attempts
Problem question: all property all non fatals all murder/manslaughter
Dillema board: insanity n automatism

Learn defenses
Reply 79
How much marks/grade is everyone on at the moment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending