The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OllieGCSEs
Come Sunday evening...
yh you know, at least we've got a few people on so we can get pretty far ahead in the next couple if days :smile:
Original post by madrevision
yh you know, at least we've got a few people on so we can get pretty far ahead in the next couple if days :smile:

Yup, whenever i'm on my laptop TSR is pretty much always on some tab or another haha
Reply 42
I predict that YM will be a 5 marker on this years paper, with maybe a total of 6 marks available for a SUVAT question
I just hope they give less definition questions this year as i do prefer the maths side, i always forget to add 'In a closed system', or 'Equal distance from the pivot' it is quite annoying as are the large 5 markers with writing.

What do you lot think will appear on this paper? and does any one have a file containing every definition needed for AS units?
Original post by Jordn
I predict that YM will be a 5 marker on this years paper, with maybe a total of 6 marks available for a SUVAT question
I just hope they give less definition questions this year as i do prefer the maths side, i always forget to add 'In a closed system', or 'Equal distance from the pivot' it is quite annoying as are the large 5 markers with writing.

What do you lot think will appear on this paper? and does any one have a file containing every definition needed for AS units?

I don't know if this is everything, hope it helps :smile:
Why have I not found this thread before? :s-smilie:
I'm also taking this exam on Monday!
Reply 45

Thanks for that, its memory that does me over during examinations, i know the principles, the methods, how to apply it, but i don't remember the god damn definitions.
Reply 46
Been doing a fair amount of work. Although I'm out of past papers, and there aren't many questions/resources I can find instead, so I feel a bit uneasy. Still, I've managed it every other time, I'm just worried the questions will be very unusual (Like the density of the Earth one in May 2011) and I won't be able to think them through. D:
Original post by JamesJJT
Been doing a fair amount of work. Although I'm out of past papers, and there aren't many questions/resources I can find instead, so I feel a bit uneasy. Still, I've managed it every other time, I'm just worried the questions will be very unusual (Like the density of the Earth one in May 2011) and I won't be able to think them through. D:
oh yh that was a weird question, it's actually pretty easy when you think about it but I got it wrong because I didn't read the question carefully enough. If you've run out of papers check if there's a specification paper on the OCR website or try papers from other exam boards:smile:
Reply 48
hows everybody feeling for monday? its good that we have it in the Pm I always do better when its pm because i have more time to sleep lol -.-
Original post by Joseph-
hows everybody feeling for monday? its good that we have it in the Pm I always do better when its pm because i have more time to sleep lol -.-

What i love about the Mechanics paper is that the calculation questions are essentially an easier version of M1, which I've studied this year, mixed with a bit of logic and common sense, which I'm happy with.

BUT the things that always get me are the explanation questions, i.e. the questions that you can't prepare for. I like to think that i have a good general understanding of all things in the syllabus but i always feel worried because i don't know exactly what to say in order to get 3/3 or 2/2 etc, whereas with definitions and calculations you know what to write in order to gain all the marks.

The paper seems to be about:
40-50% maths
10-15% definitions
20-25% On longer and QoL questions
the remaining 20% or so seems to be just small word questions
e.g. Describe the motion of the car between t = 0 to t = 4

Judging from the 3 past papers I've done.
Original post by OllieGCSEs
What i love about the Mechanics paper is that the calculation questions are essentially an easier version of M1, which I've studied this year, mixed with a bit of logic and common sense, which I'm happy with.

BUT the things that always get me are the explanation questions, i.e. the questions that you can't prepare for. I like to think that i have a good general understanding of all things in the syllabus but i always feel worried because i don't know exactly what to say in order to get 3/3 or 2/2 etc, whereas with definitions and calculations you know what to write in order to gain all the marks.

Yeah I also think its pretty unfair for people who aren't doing further maths/ M1 as now the maths part overlaps a lot with physics mechanics. Now after smooth pulleys and coefficient of friction its like oh SUVAT that's cute.
Doing this paper on Monday too :smile: My predictions for paper:

Car Safety
Vector Triangles
Center Of Gravity experiment (maybe)
Work Done/Power ( Big topic and it didn't show in jan)
Original post by yodawg321
Doing this paper on Monday too :smile: My predictions for paper:

Car Safety
Vector Triangles
Center Of Gravity experiment (maybe)
Work Done/Power ( Big topic and it didn't show in jan)

I agree with these ^_^
Youngs Modulus also! (maybe)
Original post by chloeintheskies
I agree with these ^_^
Youngs Modulus also! (maybe)

Yeah maybe the how to set up YM experiment
Things that shouldn't come up as long questions would be Galileo's experiment / Aristotle's beliefs and trilateration.
Judging from Jan 13 paper
(edited 10 years ago)
I hate doing exams in the afternoon, what do you guys do to prepare for afternoon exams during the morning? (This is my only afternoon exam).

Prediction for this paper:

SUVAT
Trilateration/Galileo's experiment (gut feeling it will come up again)
Car Safety
Youngus Modulus experiment
Pressure/Density

Hoping for a more maths based paper rather than explanations based paper, its so hard to communicate physics in writing :/
Original post by brawlerpit
I hate doing exams in the afternoon, what do you guys do to prepare for afternoon exams during the morning? (This is my only afternoon exam).

Prediction for this paper:

SUVAT
Trilateration/Galileo's experiment (gut feeling it will come up again)
Car Safety
Youngus Modulus experiment
Pressure/Density

Hoping for a more maths based paper rather than explanations based paper, its so hard to communicate physics in writing :/

I'm on study leave but i'm going into school in the morning to prepare. Nothing too much, just quickly recovering anything and then getting my friends to test me to make sure my memory is upto scratch on everything :smile:
Also make sure you have a good dinner - I usually have a sandwich and banana. Don't eat too much though or apparently you brain concerntrates on digesting food and not the exam :biggrin:
Heres one of my famous tips- Understanding the question is half way through to answering the question. once you've written an answer read the question again to make sure you've adressed what the question has asked for. Hopefully this exam will be fine having done most of the past papers they seem pretty good.
Reply 59
Original post by dakenSoren
Things that shouldn't come up as long questions would be Galileo's experiment / Aristotle's beliefs and trilateration.
Judging from Jan 13 paper

my teacher said the same thing:cool:

Latest