The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by cycahm
Are you guys revising for crooks and curley's wife at all since they've came out already?

nahh
Original post by ryanb97
wow thats exactly the stuff i wanted to talk about

a good one i like to use is when talking about the conch as a vesal for legitimate authority and symbolic representation of Democratic power
and also the proverb, that man has an innate universal illness which leads it to destruction and brutal endeavours

also i try to link in the fact that jack told the choir to wear black hats and black coats therefore mimicking what a judge would wear inthose times when sentancing someone to death - foreshadowing him as a link to death

oh and the fact that jack is linked to allthe deaths in the novel:
littlun with the birth mark - fire
simon who fainted a lot
piggy with his glasses

through this one could say that golding uses jack as a figurative representation of Hitler, as the only people jack killed had physical defects - just as hitler wanted to get rid of those with physical defects

hope those help

have you got anymore because i thought the encapsulation of the island thing was really really good!!!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

ryan

your ideas are really good!
The only one I can remember off the top of my head is that Jack, being a red-head and wearing a black cap could signify how he's inherently evil because red is the colour of the devil. The cap is there to symbolise his power, but also to shield him against the sun and as the sun could represent God in some religions, it shows that he's separating himself from God with more evil (the cap is black) which foreshadows how Jack is a symbol of evil in mankind....that's all I've got now XD If I remember anymore I'll tell you lol
your ideas are good too though - definitely try and shoe horn the judgement thing and Hitler/dictatorship in especially as Golding was a soldier in the war and he wrote the novel just after WW2 I think, so good contextual links there....
Original post by chatty
Yes please. Thanks.

Pm me your email address and I will send them if I have time :smile:
Does anyone know the what the percentage of the coursework was for English Lit? I heard it was 25% but I'm not sure. Also, is it possible to get an A or A* if the coursework grade was full marks but poetry grade was a B?
Original post by ChickenTeryaki
Does anyone know the what the percentage of the coursework was for English Lit? I heard it was 25% but I'm not sure. Also, is it possible to get an A or A* if the coursework grade was full marks but poetry grade was a B?

you can definitely get an A, but I think the A* depends on what grade you get in the next exam....good luck - hope you get that A/A* xD
I desperately need help on comparing the relationships cluster poems to each other. Anyone got any notes I can use?
Original post by lilacwanda28
you can definitely get an A, but I think the A* depends on what grade you get in the next exam....good luck - hope you get that A/A* xD
Haha, thanks and I hope so too. Good luck in your own exams. :biggrin:
Original post by sarah_maqbool
I desperately need help on comparing the relationships cluster poems to each other. Anyone got any notes I can use?

In haven't got any notes left (I don't remember where I put them) but if you want help, name a few poems and I'll help if I can xD

Yes, you can still get an A*! I got a B in my poetry exam but lost only 1 UMS mark in my controlled assessment...Do you know either your Raw or UMS mark for poetry? :smile:
For Of Mice and Men, could they ask about Carlson or is he too much of a minor character?
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Yes, you can still get an A*! I got a B in my poetry exam but lost only 1 UMS mark in my controlled assessment...Do you know either your Raw or UMS mark for poetry? :smile:
I hope so, I guess it all depends on grade boundaries and this exam. I can't remember exactly what it was but I know it was 6 marks away from an A which is what it slightly worrying me.
For Of Mice and Men, could they ask about Carlson or is he too much of a minor character?

I think if they're going to ask about Carlson it'll be with a few of the other characters too, like what is the significance of the ranch hands Carlson, Whit and Slim - or something like that. TBH I don't think they'll ask about him...
I hope so, I guess it all depends on grade boundaries and this exam. I can't remember exactly what it was but I know it was 6 marks away from an A which is what it slightly worrying me.

Well, if you got 50/50 UMS in your controlled assessment and then if you were 6 UMS marks off an A, so you got 50/70 UMS (56 was an A), then you would have got 100 UMS marks in total. To get an A*, you would need 180/200 UMS marks so you would need full UMS marks to get an A* overall- last year, that would have equated to losing a maximum of 9 marks in your exam :wink:

(I've used this the tool on the AQA website to work this out)
Original post by Instinct01
Hello Mr Derby’,

Funny how you talk about the English Language specification when you have offered English Literature help on this thread dedicated to English Literature. Definitely a teacher who knows what they're doing, right? Wrong!

Hah! Your excuse of not using commas properly because you wrote at “such a high speed” is fairly pathetic. You’re not the only one who types quickly and even so, how do you inadvertently place commas in the wrong place by doing so? But that excuse is redundant given the fact you made the same mistake many, many times in your reply, which you would surely have scrutinised for errors so as not to undermine your cocky and patronising tone. Within this quote below there are numerous examples of the incorrect usage of commas:

“However, I wrote that post at such a high speed, so that I could reply quickly, that I didn't take into consideration the accuracy of my writing. I never planned for my, unaccurate, comment to become the 'talk-of-the-thread.'”

For example, ignoring the fact that 'unaccurate' is not even a word there should be no comma placed before it.

Hence, since my teacher can actually use commas correctly and understands the difference between unaccurate and inaccurate, I guess it’s safe to say that there is a “point of comparison” between the two of you she’s a teacher and you’re a pathetic troll or student seeking to steal others’ ideas through manipulative methodologies.

Instinct01

Edit: Oh yeah - this too:

...the exam is on Monday. When are you planning on doing these 'internal mock assessments'? :wink:

Hi again,

Notice that on the keyboard the 'I' is next to the 'u.' It was a typing error! Also, a comma should be placed between the word "inaccurate" because I am adding additional information.

You can believe what ever you wish to believe, but I am not going to stop helping other students, that would like to recieve help from me.

I'm sorry for writing "English Language," instead of English Literature.

The January 2013 mock assessments are being used in my school, for Year 10, in July.

If you don't believe that I'm a teacher, then please feel free to contact the school that I work for. If you would like to contact them, then message me - I will happily give you their details.

Mr Derby.
I think if they're going to ask about Carlson it'll be with a few of the other characters too, like what is the significance of the ranch hands Carlson, Whit and Slim - or something like that. TBH I don't think they'll ask about him...

So do you think I should focus my time on revising Slim/Curley/Natural World for the section B part of the exam? :smile:
So do you think I should focus my time on revising Slim/Curley/Natural World for the section B part of the exam? :smile:

I think so. I love talking about the natural world - have you considered the water snake at the start and end of the novella - gets his food at the end - cyclical nature of the life of ranch hands? I love that part xD *geek for life* :cool:
I think so. I love talking about the natural world - have you considered the water snake at the start and end of the novella - gets his food at the end - cyclical nature of the life of ranch hands? I love that part xD *geek for life* :cool:

I love that part. Also the dark heron plucking the snake from its head or something.
I hope the context part is similar to this.
Original post by cleveradam
I love that part. Also the dark heron plucking the snake from its head or something.
I hope the context part is similar to this.

yeah - it really upset me last year when I couldn't find space to put that into my essay :frown:
Original post by teacherforall
Hi again,

Notice that on the keyboard the 'I' is next to the 'u.' It was a typing error! Also, a comma should be placed between the word "inaccurate" because I am adding additional information.

You can believe what ever you wish to believe, but I am not going to stop helping other students, that would like to recieve help from me.

I'm sorry for writing "English Language," instead of English Literature.

The January 2013 mock assessments are being used in my school, for Year 10, in July.

If you don't believe that I'm a teacher, then please feel free to contact the school that I work for. If you would like to contact them, then message me - I will happily give you their details.

Mr Derby.

Haha typing error, yeah right... more like you thought 'unaccurate' was actually a word. And no, putting the comma before 'unaccurate' was wrong - just as it is here:

I am not going to stop helping other students, that would like to recieve help from me.

It's receive and not recieve - and why don't you use the summer exams for the year 10s instead of the January ones, which you probably should have used already.
Well, if you got 50/50 UMS in your controlled assessment and then if you were 6 UMS marks off an A, so you got 50/70 UMS (56 was an A), then you would have got 100 UMS marks in total. To get an A*, you would need 180/200 UMS marks so you would need full UMS marks to get an A* overall- last year, that would have equated to losing a maximum of 9 marks in your exam :wink:

(I've used this the tool on the AQA website to work this out)

9 marks!! :eek: Better than I thought, I mean it's possible I guess but it's still going to be really hard. Plus, I haven't even been focusing on English because of Chemistry (don't even get me started on that) since they're on the same day for me. Anyway, thanks for the calculations haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending