The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Piguy
I'm thinking of applying for Maths with Physics at Cambridge (avoid possibility of doing chemistry in first year :s-smilie:) then physics at Imperial, Warwick, UCL & Durham...

What's the actual difference between studying Theoretical physics & Maths and physics anyway? I saw UCL give out offers AAB for Theoretical physics, but then Mathematical Physics is A*AA!

Degrees like "Mathematical Physics" or "Theoretical Physics with Mathematics" tend to have some pure-maths content (with proofs), while ordinary Theoretical Physics degrees tend to have more physics-related math content. (However, the details vary from place to place. The IOP provides an overview at myphysicscourse.org .)
Reply 121
I've just been notified that I've been accepted to take part to the Physics Academy research programme at Queen Mary this summer (can't say how happy I am!). Has anyone else applied there?
Reply 122
Original post by ThoPhys
Some places to consider are Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Nottingham, Sheffield, StAndrews, UCL...

Yeah i have looked at Birmingham and Nottingham earlier this week and they both look quite good. I shall research the rest now. Thank you!

Also, do universities take into account how many A-levelsyou do? E.g, if they are looking for A*AA and i get AAAA will i not be accepted?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by IlariaM
I've just been notified that I've been accepted to take part to the Physics Academy research programme at Queen Mary this summer (can't say how happy I am!). Has anyone else applied there?

YES I CHECKED MY EMAIL ABOUT AN HOUR AGO AND SAW IT WMDUCUAVWOCUXBW

Thank god I found someone else! I'm so happy about getting in :biggrin: I'm not quite sure how many places they had or anything but I'm still absolutely chuffed! Do we get to stay in the university?
I've been soooo lucky to get a work experience place at Manchester Uni Astrophysics department, working with and at Jodrell Bank!

I'm so excited! :nutcase:

I've been looking at Cambridge but really don't know whether to apply! I got 11A*s at GCSE and hoping for 3A*s at ALevel (currently doing Maths/Physics/Chemistry AS).

What do you guys think?
Reply 125
Original post by MayGenevieve
I've been soooo lucky to get a work experience place at Manchester Uni Astrophysics department, working with and at Jodrell Bank!

I've been looking at Cambridge but really don't know whether to apply! I got 11A*s at GCSE and hoping for 3A*s at ALevel (currently doing Maths/Physics/Chemistry AS).

What do you guys think?

I don't see why not. :smile:
Although Cambridge NatSci do like to see 3 sciences - and chemistry is a very good one to keep options open, if you're thinking of going down the physics route within natural sciences it may be an idea to get yourself a further maths AS :smile:
Reply 126
Original post by MayGenevieve

What do you guys think?

Applying isn't getting a place but definitely apply your easily good enough, I am and I have only a 'mere' 10a*'s and an A. Get ums to match your GCSE's and there's no reason you couldn't get one! For physics paths they really want you to do further maths if your school or college offers it.

Unfair about work experience! UCL Imperial and Greenwich all rejected me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Original post by Goods
Applying isn't getting a place but definitely apply your easily good enough, I am and I have only a 'mere' 10a*'s and an A. Get ums to match your GCSE's and there's no reason you couldn't get one! For physics paths they really want you to do further maths if your school or college offers it.

Unfair about work experience! UCL Imperial and Greenwich all rejected me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got rejected from the Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, Portsmouth Uni and Southampton.
We're the unlucky ones I guess. :frown:
Original post by excal9
Hey there, what were the interviews like for Oxford and imperial in particular? Were they very academic in nature and also did they expect higher knowledge or just application of knowledge from a different perspective?

I can't say what it's like at Oxford, but at Imperial it was pretty standard stuff. It was entirely academic (the only thing they asked about from my PS was my work experience). There were a couple of questions on Archimedes' Principle, and one Maths question (how many digits does 32794 have, or something similar).

The Cambridge one was harder and needed a bit more higher knowledge, I imagine Oxford will be much the same.
Reply 129
Original post by Abbseh
YES I CHECKED MY EMAIL ABOUT AN HOUR AGO AND SAW IT WMDUCUAVWOCUXBW

Thank god I found someone else! I'm so happy about getting in :biggrin: I'm not quite sure how many places they had or anything but I'm still absolutely chuffed! Do we get to stay in the university?

I actually don't know. They wrote they'll send me full details after receiving my acceptance email, I replied last night but I haven't received any news yet, so I hope we'll find out soon. If you get any information please let me know :smile:
Reply 130
Original post by IlariaM
I actually don't know. They wrote they'll send me full details after receiving my acceptance email, I replied last night but I haven't received any news yet, so I hope we'll find out soon. If you get any information please let me know :smile:

I've yet to apply but I'll do it tonight/tomorrow definitely as I got the go ahead for the time off. Sure, of course :smile: What did your email say?
Reply 131
Original post by Abbseh
I've yet to apply but I'll do it tonight/tomorrow definitely as I got the go ahead for the time off. Sure, of course :smile: What did your email say?

Dear Ilaria,
I am writing to let you know that your application to take part on our Physics Academy programme has been successful.
We were impressed with your application and would like to invite you to join us for a week of practical research activities and academic talks at based at Queen Mary, University of London from the 1st to the 5thof July 2013.

And then it said to reply and they'll give me more information soon.

What about you?
Reply 132
Original post by IlariaM
And then it said to reply and they'll give me more information soon.

What about you?

Snap :biggrin:
Reply 133
Original post by Aleac
Also, do universities take into account how many A-levelsyou do? E.g, if they are looking for A*AA and i get AAAA will i not be accepted?

I was wondering that too :/ most of the offers tend to be just three A levels, I haven't seen anything that will let you drop a grade if you do four so far...also would it matter grade you got on the fourth A level??
Reply 134
Original post by bistonut
I'm a first year Durham physicist, so if you've got any questions I'm happy to answer. I applied for Durham, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield, and considered Theoretical physics, maths and physics, and physics and philosophy, before settling on straight physics, so ask away.

I'm thinking of doing physics and philosophy, was there anything specific which made you change your mind?
Original post by hjonesy
I was wondering that too :/ most of the offers tend to be just three A levels, I haven't seen anything that will let you drop a grade if you do four so far...also would it matter grade you got on the fourth A level??

I went on to do four A2s (Maths, F.maths, Physics and Chem) and all of my offers were based on the first 3. If you meet the offer on the subjects they state then you are in :smile: I don't think many unis let your drop the grade if you are doing 4 as opposed to 3.
Reply 136
Original post by Abbseh
Snap :biggrin:

I'm sorry, what do you mean? (I'm Italian!):colondollar:
Reply 137
Original post by IlariaM
I'm sorry, what do you mean? (I'm Italian!):colondollar:

Snap is like same here :smile: Have you never played snap?! It's such a classic
Reply 138
Original post by Abbseh
Snap is like same here :smile: Have you never played snap?! It's such a classic

Oh, now I see! I've never played that game, but it seems a bit like one that we call "merda" (which means ****) :tongue:
Reply 139
Original post by IlariaM
Oh, now I see! I've never played that game, but it seems a bit like one that we call "merda" (which means ****) :tongue:

It's where you shuffle a card deck and take it in turns to turn a card over from your stack into the middle facing up. If the next person lays a card down that is the same number you have to slap your hand down onto the pile before anyone else while shouting 'snap'. If you get it you get the whole pile and the winner is the only one with cards after people run out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending