The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lebron_23
Does anyone have any idea how all the cashing in business works for maths and further maths? I think I did dreadfully in D1 today, but it won't matter if it goes with my core maths because its really high ums. Can anyone shed some light on that please?

Much appreciated :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know about FM but in Maths (edexcel), all units are worth exactly the same (100 ums) so total is out of 600 of which you need 80% (480) for an A, 70% for a B & so on. :smile:
Reply 1101
Does anyone have any idea how all the cashing in business works for maths and further maths? I think I did dreadfully in D1 today, but it won't matter if it goes with my core maths because its really high ums. Can anyone shed some light on that please?

Much appreciated :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They pick the modules to maximise your grades in both AS levels so don't worry.
Original post by AmirHabeeb
They pick the modules to maximise your grades in both AS levels so don't worry.

Ah, thank you. I was worried because I heard someone say that they always put your highest applied in with core maths. If that's not the case then I should be fine. Again, thank you for clearing that up. I think I can stop worrying now..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1103
urgh ok what does 58.1 mean though
Reply 1104
Original post by Xx4L3x
urgh ok what does 58.1 mean though

Roughly 58 raw marks.
Reply 1105
wow i really want an a but i dont think ive got that i need an unofficial markscheme asap its stressing me
Ah, thank you. I was worried because I heard someone say that they always put your highest applied in with core maths. If that's not the case then I should be fine. Again, thank you for clearing that up. I think I can stop worrying now..

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get the same grade in both (i.e A) they do.
Reply 1107
So happy I can now focus on Maths and Physics after finishing economics today :smile:
Original post by CD315
So happy I can now focus on Maths and Physics after finishing economics today :smile:

How'd it go? (Provided discussion is allowed)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
If you get the same grade in both (i.e A) they do.

I see. So if I had 5 A's and a C they'd move it all around to make so that I'd have 2 A's? Sounds about right.. I've just never been told about it :hmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1110
Original post by DJMayes
How'd it go? (Provided discussion is allowed)

It's so hard to tell, I literally have no idea! It's made worse by how much the grade boundaries fluctuate.
Original post by Fortitude
Ha, ha patience :smile:

I no I seriously can't w8 becoz did extremely bad in this paper:confused:
I see. So if I had 5 A's and a C they'd move it all around to make so that I'd have 2 A's? Sounds about right.. I've just never been told about it :hmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe that the re-arrangement is done based on the following principles:

- Modules cannot be put into A Levels without their preceding modules having been entered first. For example, you cannot put M3 in Maths as you must have entered in M1 and M2 first of all.
- Modules are arranged first so that each A Level has the highest overall possible grade. For example, if you had 90 in C1, 90 in C2, 90 in FP1, 60 in S1, 70 in D1 and 70 in M1, the S1 would automatically be moved to Maths along with C1 and C2 to get AA in Maths and Further Maths, as any other combination would result in AB
- If modules can be arranged so that one A Level is a grade above the others (i.e. you could arrange the modules so that you had A in one A Level and B in the other, but it was not possible to get A in both) then Maths takes precedence, followed by Further Maths and finally by Additional Further. If you can arrange it so that 2 A levels are a grade higher than the third, then Additional Further is the one that is left out.
- Finally, modules are ordered to maximise Maths UMS, and then Further Maths UMS.

So essentially the exam boards will re-arrange to firstly ensure that you get the highest grades possible for the pair. After this, they will arrange the modules so as to make sure that if it is possible to obtain an A for Maths without reducing your Further Maths (or AFM, if applicable) grade then they will do, and then so on for Further Maths without damaging the AFM grade. Finally, if there is any remaining room for arrangement they will maximise your Maths UMS, followed by your Further Maths UMS.
Original post by DJMayes
I believe that the re-arrangement is done based on the following principles:

- Modules cannot be put into A Levels without their preceding modules having been entered first. For example, you cannot put M3 in Maths as you must have entered in M1 and M2 first of all.
- Modules are arranged first so that each A Level has the highest overall possible grade. For example, if you had 90 in C1, 90 in C2, 90 in FP1, 60 in S1, 70 in D1 and 70 in M1, the S1 would automatically be moved to Maths along with C1 and C2 to get AA in Maths and Further Maths, as any other combination would result in AB
- If modules can be arranged so that one A Level is a grade above the others (i.e. you could arrange the modules so that you had A in one A Level and B in the other, but it was not possible to get A in both) then Maths takes precedence, followed by Further Maths and finally by Additional Further. If you can arrange it so that 2 A levels are a grade higher than the third, then Additional Further is the one that is left out.
- Finally, modules are ordered to maximise Maths UMS, and then Further Maths UMS.

So essentially the exam boards will re-arrange to firstly ensure that you get the highest grades possible for the pair. After this, they will arrange the modules so as to make sure that if it is possible to obtain an A for Maths without reducing your Further Maths (or AFM, if applicable) grade then they will do, and then so on for Further Maths without damaging the AFM grade. Finally, if there is any remaining room for arrangement they will maximise your Maths UMS, followed by your Further Maths UMS.

You, sir, are absolutely fantastic!

Thank you ever so much for that :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1114
IMAG0057_BURST002.jpg

Hey I'm stuck on this nasty M2 question. Can someone post the solution because I can't get the answer into the required form and have too many variables in it.
When are we allowed to start discussing S1?
Original post by CD315

Same! It's the most strenuous exam!
Original post by yl95
When are we allowed to start discussing S1?

midnight
Original post by thers
IMAG0057_BURST002.jpg

Hey I'm stuck on this nasty M2 question. Can someone post the solution because I can't get the answer into the required form and have too many variables in it.

What board is that? I've never seen holo spheres come up before!
Reply 1119
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
What board is that? I've never seen holo spheres come up before!

It's AQA. Apparently all it requires is knowledge of moments according to the spec. Its from the Jan 13 paper.

Latest

Trending

Trending