The Student Room Group

Do you think £100k is a good salary?

Ok after extensive research I went into a boring financial job in insurance which I used to mistakenly think paid really well, now I'm 27 and am paid 60,000 and think I'm about to get an offer for a job which pays 100k nearly.

I used to think this was really good pay, but now I look at lawyers esp barristers and i-bankers and less technical financial jobs and they can all pay like over 500,000 plus and easily over 100,000k.

I am really pissed as I got a perfect academic record but went into a piss boring career and its so boring and I'm only in it for the money and the career has a **** load of exams and was really hard to qualify but has no prestige, working in the insurance sector must be the least glamorous job ever.

Should I just quit and go do something I like? I feel trapped but then some of my friends keep telling me I should be happy with the money I'm making, but purely the money is not enough to drive me as its not even that much.
I wish I were a doctor or scientist at least I would be contributing to society and if purely for the money I would not do this job either as salary is medium

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Average UK salary is just under £30K I believe, so think yourself lucky!
Reply 2
i
Original post by Harley SMU
Average UK salary is just under £30K I believe, so think yourself lucky!

Really? I rarely see that salary listed on any job applications. :eek:

100k is an amazing salary! Is it after tax? If so that's 2 grand a week! If not then it's 1.2 grand a week. I wish I was on that. :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol. A 2.i degree is hardly a "perfect academic record".

Anyway, it's far better to do a job your enjoy than one that pays well. You're just going to die a little bit inside each day if you keep doing a job you hate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Are you serious? Of course it's a good salary!
Reply 5
Its pretty terrible.
Reply 6
Original post by DimaTae
Ok after extensive research I went into a boring financial job in insurance which I used to mistakenly think paid really well, now I'm 27 and am paid 60,000 and think I'm about to get an offer for a job which pays 100k nearly.

I used to think this was really good pay, but now I look at lawyers esp barristers and i-bankers and less technical financial jobs and they can all pay like over 500,000 plus and easily over 100,000k.

I am really pissed as I got a perfect academic record but went into a piss boring career and its so boring and I'm only in it for the money and the career has a **** load of exams and was really hard to qualify but has no prestige, working in the insurance sector must be the least glamorous job ever.

Should I just quit and go do something I like? I feel trapped but then some of my friends keep telling me I should be happy with the money I'm making, but purely the money is not enough to drive me as its not even that much.
I wish I were a doctor or scientist at least I would be contributing to society and if purely for the money I would not do this job either as salary is medium

Well you shouldn't go into a job purely for the money. It can make you feel good in the short term but the truth is, your working a boringly crap and unglamorous job to make it, what's the point?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Lol. Not even that much? I'm on £1500 a year. Pound stretcher 4 tins of tuna for 2.99 are serving me well. :tongue:
Original post by eliza.anne
What a terrible salary. I'll do you a favour, just give me all of your money and I'll dispose of it for you. :rolleyes:

Lol what is it with you and constantly begging for things?

Any time i see your post you're begging for something

Original post by eliza.anne
You can tell him to send the presents to me instead :yep:

^ I've seen more but that's the only one i can remember atm
In my eyes, that is a good salary! I'd feel lucky to earn that much. But personally I'd rather do a job I love and get lower pay than do something I hate for the higher salary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
What a stupid question. You obviously know it's a good salary but what you really want to ask is should I give up 100k a year for a job I'm more likely to be happier in? That depends do you think your dreams are worth 100k. I'm betting you don't otherwise you wouldn't be asking you would choose to live your life rather then pass it away in a job you hate. But if you do think a happier life is worth it save up a bit of money then leave your job. Forget being young once you only live once (excuse the cliche). If you hate your job you're going to regret it when you're old. You don't owe your boss an apology and **** your colleagues, who cares what they're in it for. You sound like a well off guy you shouldn't be as miserable as someone who's poor. Quit your job and get qualified to do something more worth while for you. If you don't know what that is take time to find out or go travelling do all the things you want to do and your mindset might change. You might even go back to your old job but that doesn't matter. You should do something rather then sit and wonder because that's going to kill you one day, when you hear other people talk about the things they did with their life and you only have your cubicle to look back on and that time you thought of leaving.
Reply 11
Original post by DimaTae

Should I just quit and go do something I like?

Yes.

If you are doing it purely for the money - you would be better off trying to make £500k as an actuary - I mean, most quants and barristers aren't making that sort of wedge and even if you were going to be one of the successful ones, you are already further down the line in that field anyway and probably have a better chance of success in attaining that figure: if you can't do it as an actuary, what makes you think you would be more likely to acheive as a barrister or an investment banker?

So, that said, you should just decide whether the money or the enjoyment of the job is what you are really after.
Original post by DimaTae

Thats an amazing salary. Most people earn no where near that. Think yourself lucky.
Surely if you got a 2.1 in Maths from a good university you shouldn't have to ask whether £100k is a good salary or not...

After tax and student loan repayments you'll be taking home just over £1100 a week - hardly an amount to be sniffed at.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Well dur... I'd be pretty damn happy with anything in excess of £30k. Heck, including rent I'm living on around £5000 per academic year as a student and manage to get by comfortably. Another £25k wouldn't hurt!
Reply 15
You're taking a £40,000 / 66% pay rise? Lol...

Original post by Freak Out
i

Really? I rarely see that salary listed on any job applications. :eek:

100k is an amazing salary! Is it after tax? If so that's 2 grand a week! If not then it's 1.2 grand a week. I wish I was on that. :redface:

Nobody gives an after tax figure when asked their salary, why would you think it is?
(edited 10 years ago)
100k after tax not all that really in the big picture. Lifes about profit not salary. At the end of the day the firm employing you makes more off you than you make off them. Think big.

But in real terms i.e 99% of the population yes its a great salary.
Reply 17
Rubbish salary bro, was earning that years ago. How can you ever afford to have 6+ cars with that salary? Poverty.
Jackpot for some, chicken-feed for others.
100,000k? 100million? I don't believe this

Latest

Trending

Trending