The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Level English Literature

I've not seen a WJEC thread on here so I just wondered how many of us (if any) there are around.

Did anyone sit the exam today? How did you find it? Which poetry/drama did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it was OK. Not perfect but not too bad.

I did Plath/Hughes and Miller 'Broken Glass'.

For Plath I did the question on family and for Miller I did the question of prejudice.
Reply 2
Pretty much exactly how I felt.

I did Seamus Heaney & Owen Sheers for poetry (I'm jealous that you got to do Plath) and Dancing at Lughnasa for drama.

The poetry questions were nice, the drama questions were okay, the extracts given were awful, I felt.
Reply 3
Original post by Amylina
Pretty much exactly how I felt.

I did Seamus Heaney & Owen Sheers for poetry (I'm jealous that you got to do Plath) and Dancing at Lughnasa for drama.

The poetry questions were nice, the drama questions were okay, the extracts given were awful, I felt.

I did Heaney and Sheers for the poetry and got such a lovely question... I said before the exam Identity would be the best thing possible, and it came up!

Original post by Paparazzo
I think it was OK. Not perfect but not too bad.

I did Plath/Hughes and Miller 'Broken Glass'.

For Plath I did the question on family and for Miller I did the question of prejudice.

I did the prejudice question too.... everyone who did it at my school thought the passage was a bit rubbish, for a start there was nothing about prejudice against women there. How'd you find it?
Reply 4
Original post by Stanners95
I did Heaney and Sheers for the poetry and got such a lovely question... I said before the exam Identity would be the best thing possible, and it came up! ?

I loved the identity question! I actually overran my hour+15 because I got so into it haha. I would have struggled with the other question though (I hate quote questions, and I hate imagery questions - my worst nightmare!)
Reply 5
Original post by Amylina
I loved the identity question! I actually overran my hour+15 because I got so into it haha. I would have struggled with the other question though (I hate quote questions, and I hate imagery questions - my worst nightmare!)

Same! I find that while there's loads to say, it's a nightmare for me to try and structure and come up with a line of argument. I used Follower and Inheritance, along with Requiem for the Croppies and Mametz Wood. What about you?
Reply 6
Same! I find that while there's loads to say, it's a nightmare for me to try and structure and come up with a line of argument. I used Follower and Inheritance, along with Requiem for the Croppies and Mametz Wood. What about you?

Yep, same! I think I struggled to come up with an argument BECAUSE there is so much to say. I spent most of my planning time trying to formulate an eloquent, original argument, because I wanted to say everything haha! I used Digging and From the Frontier of Writing, with Flag for Sheers.
Reply 7
Original post by Amylina
Yep, same! I think I struggled to come up with an argument BECAUSE there is so much to say. I spent most of my planning time trying to formulate an eloquent, original argument, because I wanted to say everything haha! I used Digging and From the Frontier of Writing, with Flag for Sheers.

I've never studied Flag, although I quite liked From the Frontier of Writing... it just never slotted in with my line of argument. I just kinda went for the the identity of one person and then a wider cultural identity with the other pair. I think it went well, and I actually remembered critics! It's the first time all year :P
Reply 8
I did Plath and Hughes and Dancing At Lughnasa, I worked so hard in preparation and it was really hard, I've done so badly :'(
Reply 9
I've never studied Flag, although I quite liked From the Frontier of Writing... it just never slotted in with my line of argument. I just kinda went for the the identity of one person and then a wider cultural identity with the other pair. I think it went well, and I actually remembered critics! It's the first time all year :P

I'm not pretending that Flag is thrilling haha! It's alright though, and as it's about Wales, it fitted into my argument quite well (basically that Heaney uses his poetry to express his internal struggle to find his true identity).

I'm afraid when it came to critics I went for the 'make it up and hope for the best' method :biggrin: I have to say some of them were pretty pathetic, but hey ho!
Reply 10
Original post by Arllna
I did Plath and Hughes and Dancing At Lughnasa, I worked so hard in preparation and it was really hard, I've done so badly :'(

Someone else who studied Dancing at Lughnasa, hello! How did you find the questions? Which one did you do? I actually didn;t think that the questions were too ​awful (though not fantastic), but the extracts were terrible :/
Reply 11
Original post by Amylina
Someone else who studied Dancing at Lughnasa, hello! How did you find the questions? Which one did you do? I actually didn;t think that the questions were too ​awful (though not fantastic), but the extracts were terrible :/

I did the one about relationships, the extracts were a pile of poop so I rambled on about nothing :frown:
Original post by Amylina
I'm not pretending that Flag is thrilling haha! It's alright though, and as it's about Wales, it fitted into my argument quite well (basically that Heaney uses his poetry to express his internal struggle to find his true identity).

I'm afraid when it came to critics I went for the 'make it up and hope for the best' method :biggrin: I have to say some of them were pretty pathetic, but hey ho!

We agreed as a class that if there was a quote we were making up, or didn't know who it was by, then we'd say it was from Howard Anderton :P That way if a whole class used the same name, the markers will be less likely to think it's made up :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Arllna
I did the one about relationships, the extracts were a pile of poop so I rambled on about nothing :frown:

ah, I did the society question. I rambled on about nothing too, I wouldn't worry too much (I somehow managed to write a huge paragraph about the midget that Gerry meets when enlisting and how that could link to improvements in Rose's life - seriously, don't stress)

We agreed as a class that if there was a quote we were making up, or didn't know who it was by, then we'd say it was from Howard Anderton :P That way if a whole class used the same name, the markers will be less likely to think it's made up :biggrin:

Why didn't I think of that?! I'm afraid to say that I'm the kind of person who names their friends as critics :/ I thought it was a good idea until I learnt that the same examiner marks all the papers from our school!
Original post by Amylina

Why didn't I think of that?! I'm afraid to say that I'm the kind of person who names their friends as critics :/ I thought it was a good idea until I learnt that the same examiner marks all the papers from our school!

Hahaha, unlucky :P On the bright side, I don't think markers are paid or care enough to realise :wink:
Reply 15
Hahaha, unlucky :P On the bright side, I don't think markers are paid or care enough to realise :wink:

Definitely not, my best friend quoted Dave Grohl and other band members as critics in her A2 John Donne/King Lear essay and walked out with an A! Definitely wouldn't recommend that tactic though haha :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Amylina
ah, I did the society question. I rambled on about nothing too, I wouldn't worry too much (I somehow managed to write a huge paragraph about the midget that Gerry meets when enlisting and how that could link to improvements in Rose's life - seriously, don't stress)

thanks I'll try not to, just feeling a bit let down by the questions :/
Original post by Amylina
Definitely not, my best friend quoted Dave Grohl and other band members as critics in her A2 John Donne/King Lear essay and walked out with an A! Definitely wouldn't recommend that tactic though haha :tongue:

Yeah, pretty sure using a famous person's name isn't the best way of not being noticed. My mate got desperate and quoted Tupac, and another Aristotle (needless to say... the Aristotle one actually got caught :P )
Reply 18
Yeah, pretty sure using a famous person's name isn't the best way of not being noticed. My mate got desperate and quoted Tupac, and another Aristotle (needless to say... the Aristotle one actually got caught :P )

wow, Aristotle must have took some guts, haha! Very true, although it did give us all a good laugh when we thought we'd failed, and she did pretty well out of it :biggrin:
Reply 19
O em geee
I found it soo hard

Did the question about identity (seamus heaney and owen sheers)
And answered the question about class for murmering judges

Flopped really badly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending