The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arminb
its not much about how many marks you lose its bout how many marks you gain ,you wouldn't lose a lot for that ,maybe,if youre lucky ,even nothing beause they d know you got the right idea.

How many marks lost for forgetting to mention language in prose section? Can't believe I did!
Reply 401
Original post by omar333
10 out of the 25 marks are for context, but when you link to other poems that accounts for most of it because you're contextualising his work.. But yeah you were supposed to mention a bit of context in a couple of paragraphs :s-smilie: oh well, no use worrying now :smile:

Original post by iridescence.
Getting a bit concerned seeing everyone mentioning context for yeats... I thought you just had to link it to three other poems, no context needed?!

Nope no context needed at all, only if it pushes forward your answers and is relevant, but cross linking is sufficient for A04 marks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by daisyleigh
that exam was ridiculously hard!! second coming was ok but dorian gray soooo difficult, did anyone else so the lord henry and dorian q? and what did u say? cos i totally bullsh**ted!

Yh I did this one - bit weird a first but managed to get my points in I mentioned:
-intro on Faust setting in relation to qu
-yellow book - influence
-epigrams spoken word - tempter influence
-sibyl and how she made him a victim n Dorian a tempter (duality of DG an sibyl and of lord Henry and issacs as tempters!!
ending of novel and how dorian die contrast to lord Henry being a victim!!
Wbu?? :smile:
Original post by NiallD
Nope no context needed at all, only if it pushes forward your answers and is relevant, but cross linking is sufficient for A03 marks :smile:

Don be confused - AO3 is critic (not in poetry) and AO4 is context!!!
Reply 404
i think the good thing is ,since no one revised The Second Bullcrap ( well,not no one of course) ,the grade boundaries are going to be lower this year. I cant believe how bad the poem went through and how great Frankenstein was, at least 27 in Frankenstein.But Yeats if i am lucky .... ****ing lucky.... i d get 20 which is a physical impossibility. I said:
the idea of gyres
the chaos through the falcon/faconer ,compound modifier blood-dimmed tide
nature turning against men ,sphinx moving ,questioning whether jesus will come both attacking and intimidating,
i talked about yeats questioning the secong coming through 'surely'and'some
form and language ,rhyme scheme relaxed(sometimes rhyme sometimes doesn't) suggest chaos,alliteration,sibilance
yea thats it, if you could predict what id get, it ll be great to share it with me.
Reply 405
Original post by Phil Dunphy
How many marks lost for forgetting to mention language in prose section? Can't believe I did!

do you mean you only talked about context?
Original post by arminb

I quoted and made a point, but not about language :'(
Original post by arminb

If language means looking at a word and saying "Bronte used this adjectival phrase to...." then I didn't do that. I did things like: "Jane says......thus shows....."
Reply 408
If language means looking at a word and saying "Bronte used this adjectival phrase to...." then I didn't do that. I did things like: "Jane says......thus shows....."

well, i didnt say any such thing either.I dont think you have to , just talking about the characters will get you marks for the language .But i am not sure, ask your teacher
Original post by Charlotte1801
Yh I did this one - bit weird a first but managed to get my points in I mentioned:
-yellow book - influence
-sibyl and how she made him a victim n Dorian a tempter (duality of DG an sibyl and of lord Henry and issacs as tempters!!

ooh thats good i like the sibyl stuff, im sure u did well!!
well i rambled a bit but said henry's epigrams, the yellow book, fact that dorian tells both bastil and henry that they are his best friend patronising them, the way basil tells D "You have a good influence" meaning that he becomes the influencor rather than one being influenced, how henry dissapears from novel meaning he is victim of wilde's devices

so worried though found them both hard questions!! wbu for second coming? xx
I just talked about Jane :frown: Just mentioned her hunger, rebllion and rage. Your points sound good!

Ohhh was it referring to the book as a whole then? Aha thanks but hopefully they were valid :biggrin:
How many marks would I lose for not mentioning language at all in the prose section? I mentioned all the other AOs apart from structure :facepalm:

I think it takes you down a band, imagery is most important though!
Original post by AKKaur
Ohhh was it referring to the book as a whole then? Aha thanks but hopefully they were valid :biggrin:

Yeah, believe so. Pretty sure I've messed that exam up - going to be worried over summer now :tongue: It said how far is Jane Eyre a novel about rage, hunger and rebellion or something along those lines :/
Original post by AKKaur
I think it takes you down a band, imagery is most important though!

Didn't mention that either :tongue: What exactly do you mean by imagery though?
Reply 414
Don be confused - AO3 is critic (not in poetry) and AO4 is context!!!

Yes but all you need for A04 in the poetry exam is cross reference, contextual information can be good but it's not needed, you can easily get full A04 marks in poetry without mentioning it :smile:
Reply 415
-yellow book - influence

I talked about the most random stuff like pederasty and hellenism, aestheticism, yellow book, power of youth/beauty, effeminacy, um yeah it wasn't that good tbh
Did anyone do Edward Thomas or the first Mrs. Dalloway question? I thought the Edward Thomas went really well, and the Mrs. Dalloway question went well, although it was worded quite strangely. Any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisyleigh
ooh thats good i like the sibyl stuff, im sure u did well!!
well i rambled a bit but said henry's epigrams, the yellow book, fact that dorian tells both bastil and henry that they are his best friend patronising them, the way basil tells D "You have a good influence" meaning that he becomes the influencor rather than one being influenced, how henry dissapears from novel meaning he is victim of wilde's devices

so worried though found them both hard questions!! wbu for second coming? xx

I thought the second coming was ok - looked hard at first but I did it aha :wink: wbu??
Didn't mention that either :tongue: What exactly do you mean by imagery though?

Quotes that create imagery :P Likeeee phrases or words that create a certain impression for the poem and perhaps links its theme which is why it is an image! For example "soldiers in line.. in white tunics" you could describe the image that is created by the white tunics. Get it?
Original post by AKKaur
Quotes that create imagery :P Likeeee phrases or words that create a certain impression for the poem and perhaps links its theme which is why it is an image! For example "soldiers in line.. in white tunics" you could describe the image that is created by the white tunics. Get it?

Ah right, I know - blonde moment. I used a quote for Jane Eyre that could classify as imagery: Jane is dominated by Rochester, however, she is more domineering than St John. St John tells Jane "no fervour infects me" because he is "cold" to which Jane replies "and I am hot and fire dissolves ice". This shows that Jane is more powerful than a man and is, therefore, not always the less-dominant.

That was a point I made about gender

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending