The Student Room Group

Statistics S1B 17/05/2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Unofficial Markscheme
Please add to it, make corrections and try and help me with the number of marks

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2354805&p=42670442#post42670442
Original post by James_Prothero
this paper was harder than Jan 2013 and the A grade was 59 for an A so less than that

I agree that Jan 2013 was easier, when we had a mock the only challenging question was the last one the rest was the same old usual stuff, i just hope they're low for this paper :rolleyes:
Reply 442
Original post by steviep14
Unofficial Markscheme
Please add to it, make corrections and try and help me with the number of marks

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2354805&p=42670442#post42670442

Here's a link to the paper if you want to know the number of marks per question
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2348775&page=17&p=42666664#post42666664
Original post by Son234
Imagine if the grade boundaries were

A:: 64
B:: 57
C:: 50
D:: 43
E:: 36

://

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I would cry.

Nooooooo it was the hardest paper i've ever come across in the entire past papers i did. Imagine things like Syy Sxx that never came up (like this) that's so confusing.. ?

Should be like :

A - 55
B - 48
C - 41
D - 34
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 444
For the last probability question, wouldnt you add (0.10 x 0.85) and (0.05 x 1) ?

The question says 'either night' and not both like in previous question? i think you guys multiplied in your answer?
Original post by K FIZZLE
For the last probability question, wouldnt you add (0.10 x 0.85) and (0.05 x 1) ?

The question says 'either night' and not both like in previous question? i think you guys multiplied in your answer?

either would infer both...

"I don't want either of them"
same argument as the thing with "each" and "all" on the last question
Reply 446
Original post by Gotzz
Someone was just saying that you'd lose 1-2 marks for 0.6 for rounding early. :frown:

You're joking me! @!#=*!!

man I hope they're generous this time and will allow both answers -__-

they tell us to leave answers to 3 s.f. so dammit they better not be pedantic.

If they don't then I know for sure I've lost at least 4-5 marks.
Original post by MrJiggly
You're joking me! @!#=*!!

man I hope they're generous this time and will allow both answers -__-

they tell us to leave answers to 3 s.f. so dammit they better not be pedantic.

If they don't then I know for sure I've lost at least 4-5 marks.

They will almost certainly penalise 0.6....

usually... B2 0.46-0.47
(B1) 0.4-0.8
or something like that... unless you are nearly spot on, you will lose a mark

as for 3sf... they usually condone >3sf, BUT, they will not accept 2sf or less.. unless the answer was exact.. like 0.14.. or sometimes, the third sf was a 0
Reply 448
My handwriting was terrible, I hope the examiner can read it!
Reply 449
Original post by steviep14
They will almost certainly penalise 0.6....

usually... B2 0.46-0.47
(B1) 0.4-0.8
or something like that... unless you are nearly spot on, you will lose a mark

as for 3sf... they usually condone >3sf, BUT, they will not accept 2sf or less.. unless the answer was exact.. like 0.14.. or sometimes, the third sf was a 0

I reckon they will as well. The worse thing was that I was considering putting the unrounded figure into my calculations but since I had deleted it from my calculator, I was like: "nah, it probably won't make a difference.":angry::angry:

Oh well, if I'm lucky, I reckon 70/75.
A tough paper.
My version of boundaries:

A:56
B:49
C:42
D:35

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im not really sure why people found the Sxx Syy etc. question so hard. Surely it's just subbing values into formulas from the formulae book?
Original post by caroliar
OMG, are you talking about edexcel? the venn diagram was freaky!! but i can't remember any questions with jewellery, dave or bowling!! Ohhh and for the 1st Q, shh was -22400?? something like that?

No this isn't edexcel,and yes the shh was -22400 something like that,I'll try making a thread for edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 453
For standard deviation on Q1 I got 17.5 from my calculator. I used 'sx', is this wrong?
i'm really frustrated at myself! i totally forgot how to find the z value using the tables in question 2b!
i still used the right formula though, just with the wrong z value so does anyone think i'll get at least a method mark?
Original post by Thebest786
A tough paper.
My version of boundaries:

A:56
B:49
C:42
D:35

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree :top:
Original post by sashanorman
i'm really frustrated at myself! i totally forgot how to find the z value using the tables in question 2b!
i still used the right formula though, just with the wrong z value so does anyone think i'll get at least a method mark?

I think ECF ( Error Carried Forward ) may apply.

Edit : AQA may give you marks for ECF, only 1 mark off for incorrect answer ; but then again it is strict marking these days.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jacksgap
i would cry.

Nooooooo it was the hardest paper i've ever come across in the entire past papers i did. Imagine things like syy sxx that never came up (like this) that's so confusing.. ?

Should be like :

A - 55
b - 48
c - 41
d - 34

a = 55/56
b = 48/49
c = 41/42
d = 34/35
Original post by Tha Realest
I think ECF ( Error Carried Forward ) may apply.

Edit : AQA may give you marks for ECF, only 1 mark off for incorrect answer ; but then again it is strict marking these days.

thank you! i've got my fingers crossed that they'll be generous

i think i got a b overall but i really really wanted an a :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tha Realest
a = 55/56
b = 48/49
c = 41/42
d = 34/35

I would love grade boundaries like this. This paper was much different compared to past papers. I think I bagged about 45 marks for definate, the difference of the paper compared to past papers resulted in about 10 marks extra lost for me.

Quick Reply