The Student Room Group

AQA FP1 Further Pure 1 17th May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingmango
How many marks was the complex numbers question where the solution were 1/3 and 2/3? And how many marks will i lose if i made 1 mistake during the whole calculation of that question?

Can't remember the amount of marks but it will depend on how marks are set in the mark scheme. It is possible they give a large amount of follow-through marks in which case 1 mistake would only lose 1 mark. Alternatively they may be strict and have accuracy only marks, making prior mistakes affect latter marks. All have to wait and see.
When is the paper and mark scheme and examiners report released for teachers?
Original post by Maths93
June 2010 68 was an A

Apart from 2010 (which was ridiculously easy btw)
For the roots I got 24x²-81x-146 = 0 or might of been +81x and +146 but yeh... for first one i think i got 9.859 or so... for matrix i got 1 0 0 3 and then -1/2 sqroot(3)/2 sqroot(3)/2 1/2 and then for final matrix just multiplied T2 by T1... for q2, i got k as -27 for the matrix, ermmm for the roots one i got 1/3 + 2/3i, for q9 i got intersection point at 1,0 as k = 0 or 1, but when k = 1 its asymptote... for series question the end of it linked to the start of it, hence n = 52, and i got my k value as 4 for halfway through the question... for the integration i got -1/2, for the sin(pi/12) = cos(pi/4)(cos(api)+cos(bpi) i remember doing sin(pi/12) / (cos(pi/4)) and got -1+root(3) / 2, hence -1/2+root(3)/2 which gives cos(2/3pi)+cos(1/6pi)... then the trig one with it in degrees i remember getting something like 5+72n ; -21+72n degrees ? what else was there?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by matt242o1552
For the roots I got 24x²-81x-146 = 0 or might of been +81x and +146 but yeh... for first one i think i got 9.859 or so... for matrix i got 1 0 0 3 and then -1/2 sqroot(3)/2 sqroot(3)/2 1/2 and then for final matrix just multiplied T2 by T1... for q2, i got k as -27 for the matrix, ermmm for the roots one i got 1/3 + 2/3i, for q9 i got intersection point at 1,0 as k = 0 or 1, but when k = 1 its asymptote... for series question the end of it linked to the start of it, hence n = 52, and i got my k value as 4 for halfway through the question... for the integration i got -1/2, for the sin(pi/12) = cos(pi/4)(cos(api)+cos(bpi) i remember doing sin(pi/12) / (cos(pi/4)) and got -1+root(3) / 2, hence -1/2+root(3)/2 which gives cos(2/3pi)+cos(1/6pi)... what else was there?

Do you remember what we were asked to integrate for the one with infinity and 0 as limits?
Original post by ThatLithuanian
Do you remember what we were asked to integrate for the one with infinity and 0 as limits?

I think it was x^-4(2x^2-5x) ? so expanded = 2x^-2 - 5x^-3, thus integrated = (2x^-1 / -1 - 5x^-2 / -2) = (-2/x + 5/2x^2) with limits infinity and 1, infinity made it equal 0, hence (0) - (-2/1 + 5/2) = 0 - (1/2) = -1/2
Reply 206
Why wasn't the value of N 29. ? IF you enter 29 in the equation it goes just over180000.

Can someone explain why that equation didn't have a route of x-iy? I just literally guessed! I said it was a repeated route.
Original post by kesupile
Why wasn't the value of N 29. ? IF you enter 29 in the equation it goes just over180000.

Can someone explain why that equation didn't have a route of x-iy? I just literally guessed! I said it was a repeated route.

Please read through the previous few pages, the answers to your questions are given there. :smile: Or wait till someone uploads the mark scheme :smile:
hey guys in the trigonometry i made a very silly mistake by using both degree and 2kpi and in the limit question i made a wrong sign -2/x + 5/2x^2 instead of -2/x - 5/2x^2 and it leads to wrong answer 9/2. So how many marks will i lose for each of the questions ?
Ahh I made such a mess of this paper :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 210
Original post by noobslayer
The answer is a couple comments above.

Thanks I think I got that one right! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone finish the paper with time to spare for double checking or not? I'm just wondering. Or, does anyone know someone else that apparently found the paper easy or had plenty of time to double check? Again, just wondering.
Reply 212
Original post by AlanDu
Did anyone finish the paper with time to spare for double checking or not? I'm just wondering. Or, does anyone know someone else that apparently found the paper easy or had plenty of time to double check? Again, just wondering.

I finished with half an hour to spare but only because I knew I needed to go back and check so I rushed the last few questions to made sure I finished. Didn't find it easy though, especially compared to all of the past papers I've done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
Why can p-qi not be a root if the equation and for the roots question, if you wrote an equivalent answer but your co-efficients were just to a different common multiple, will you lose any marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im really annoyed at this paper. I've been doing well on all the past papers but this was ridiculous. It's the first time I've not answered every question on a maths paper too.
Original post by AlanDu

Yeh, I finished with about 40minutes, so went over all the questions again checking them all, I found it to be an awkwardly phrased paper... but got there in the end I think, hoping for 95% + :smile:
Original post by JackLambourne
Im really annoyed at this paper. I've been doing well on all the past papers but this was ridiculous. It's the first time I've not answered every question on a maths paper too.

I am in the same situation, I was so prepped and this was just...
Reply 217
Hi, can someone upload the awnsers or the paper.
Was the Stretch for the Matrix [3 0 0 1]
Also people at my school think the answer for the quadratic equation was something like 16x^2 + 54x +45 = 0
Original post by KBarney
Hi, can someone upload the awnsers or the paper.
Was the Stretch for the Matrix [3 0 0 1]
Also people at my school think the answer for the quadratic equation was something like 16x^2 + 54x +45 = 0

The matrix stretch was [1 0 0 3] as the x-direction was not stretched, only the y by a scale factor of 3. For the roots one, I believe it was 24x²+81x-146=0
Reply 219
Original post by matt242o1552
The matrix stretch was [1 0 0 3] as the x-direction was not stretched, only the y by a scale factor of 3. For the roots one, I believe it was 24x²+81x-146=0

I thought thats what mine shows, doesnt what you put show a stretch in the x direction? Can you explian how you got to that awnser of the roots then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending