The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gaalsien
Good luck with your exam. Is the portfolio more difficult than a dissertation?

It isn't more difficult, just alot more work!
Reply 601
Original post by badumdumtscht
Well done! :biggrin: I have my placement next year and it's getting too real man.

I'm hoping to do placement next year too! :biggrin: Have you already recieved an offer?! I thought vacancies dont come out till around June time :confused:
Sitting the first of my finals today, clinical immunology. Not looking forward to this!!
Original post by BLineDisaster
Sitting the first of my finals today, clinical immunology. Not looking forward to this!!

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yawn11
QUESTION: Does anyone studying Biomed have no interest in pursuing medicine or research, or any thing that would require them to be in a lab all day?

I'm curious, if so, what career paths are you considering/pursuing, and how are you going about it? Peace.

Me. I'm looking into marketing and/or IT because I have work experience in these areas and can spin a lot of my experiences/CV to look good for it. That's all through extracurricular stuff I've been doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 605
Hello, I just have a quick question I would be grateful if someone could give me an advice.

I wanted to do medicine and took a gap year and got rejected again. I have an offer from UCL biomed and an offer from an Italian university for medicine (6 years long).

Does anyone regret doing biomed? or are you happy with the course and the career opportunities? what kind of jobs could you do after graduation?

Thank you very much in advance. I really don't know what I want at this moment and would really appreciate some help.

Good luck with the finals:smile:
Original post by doctor92
Hello, I just have a quick question I would be grateful if someone could give me an advice.

I wanted to do medicine and took a gap year and got rejected again. I have an offer from UCL biomed and an offer from an Italian university for medicine (6 years long).

Does anyone regret doing biomed? or are you happy with the course and the career opportunities? what kind of jobs could you do after graduation?

Thank you very much in advance. I really don't know what I want at this moment and would really appreciate some help.

Good luck with the finals:smile:

UCL Biomed is good. Exciting people and things to do. Many experts in their field. Not always great support however.

I don't regret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 607
Original post by Eljamaispa
UCL Biomed is good. Exciting people and things to do. Many experts in their field. Not always great support however.

I don't regret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks! I think I'll do the same :smile:
Reply 608
thanks! I think I'll do the same :smile:

Really good course, the job however is not all that!
Reply 609
Original post by francois
Really good course, the job however is not all that!

and why is that? :frown:
Reply 610
and why is that? :frown:

Why not try out the Italian Uni?
Reply 611
Original post by Yawn11
Why not try out the Italian Uni?

I don't know Im just scared of regretting any decision I make now. I have about 2 months to decide.
Reply 612
I don't know Im just scared of regretting any decision I make now. I have about 2 months to decide.

I've taken the plunge with scary things and made HUGE mistakes. But I've also taken the plunge with very scary things, and found huge success. Both scenarios I've learnt something and have been grateful the long-term impact the experience will have on my life.

Now if you want me to rationalise things for you, Let's assume you went to Italy;

Advantages:
1) Post-grad Medicine is even more competitive and difficult to get into than undergrad.
2) You'll make a diverse network and connection you won't be able to make in UK.
3) You'll certainly pick up the language (assuming you don't speak it already).
4) You'll become a doctor!

Disadvantages:
1) You'd have leave the UK, friends and family behind, and only get to see them on holdiays, you may even lose contact with some.
2) It will take some time to get used to being in a foreign country, you may find yourself feeling alone away from something familiar for so long. And it's scary tbh.
3) It will be costly. Prices will be high for international students, and the cost for coming home etc will be more than say if you were at Uni at you.

If you were take the Biomedical Science offer:

Advantages:
1) You'd gain a respectable degree, that could take you various career paths. Including an allied-medical profession
2) It will be cheaper
3) Still be in close proximity to family and friends

Disadvantages:
1) Chances of you being a doctor will slim greatly, but not be impossible with dedication and hard work.

Choice is yours.
Reply 613
Original post by Yawn11
I've taken the plunge with scary things and made HUGE mistakes. But I've also taken the plunge with very scary things, and found huge success. Both scenarios I've learnt something and have been grateful the long-term impact the experience will have on my life.

Now if you want me to rationalise things for you, Let's assume you went to Italy;

Advantages:
1) Post-grad Medicine is even more competitive and difficult to get into than undergrad.
2) You'll make a diverse network and connection you won't be able to make in UK.
3) You'll certainly pick up the language (assuming you don't speak it already).
4) You'll become a doctor!

Disadvantages:
1) You'd have leave the UK, friends and family behind, and only get to see them on holdiays, you may even lose contact with some.
2) It will take some time to get used to being in a foreign country, you may find yourself feeling alone away from something familiar for so long. And it's scary tbh.
3) It will be costly. Prices will be high for international students, and the cost for coming home etc will be more than say if you were at Uni at you.

If you were take the Biomedical Science offer:

Advantages:
1) You'd gain a respectable degree, that could take you various career paths. Including an allied-medical profession
2) It will be cheaper
3) Still be in close proximity to family and friends

Disadvantages:
1) Chances of you being a doctor will slim greatly, but not be impossible with dedication and hard work.

Choice is yours.

Thank you for this! :smile:
The thing is I don't even live in the UK I live in Luxembourg and Im not even from here so the disadvantages you mentioned of being international/leaving family behind and the cost does not apply to me. Now Im only left with the advantages :smile: and in my case biomed is more expensive..
Sat my last exam (hopefully ever) today! Just need to polish off my dissertation and then I can elevate my liver enzymes :tongue:
Firsts in all my uni exam results :woo:
I'm trying to decide which course I want to study. I'm not sure yet but I was thinking about Biomedical Science.
I'd really like some advice on it. Like which unis are good. Also, do you have to be good at chemistry for it?
Reply 617
Ive graduated in biomedical science and there aren't a lot of job in hospital for a trainee if any. I loved my course (I was at MMU) and no there was hardly any chemistry, it was genetics, histology, pathology, pharmacology, haematology and transfusion, immunology, microbiology and food and health (which was my favourite!)
Original post by Sobzi
Ive graduated in biomedical science and there aren't a lot of job in hospital for a trainee if any. I loved my course (I was at MMU) and no there was hardly any chemistry, it was genetics, histology, pathology, pharmacology, haematology and transfusion, immunology, microbiology and food and health (which was my favourite!)

This makes me feel uneasy. :s-smilie:
Guys Question time..What's the best paying job someone you know has managed to get with a biomed degree?

Latest

Trending

Trending