The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 2 Wednesday 22nd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SOURCE ANALYSIS GETS YOU SO MANY MARKS!
I'm not revising Boer War at all, because they can only ask 2 questions for part B and one is always WW1 (apart from one year but they had a crimean nursing question) which is really easy 😂 my teacher told us it was a safe bet and he's off to oxford uni soon...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing British Political History?
Reply 22
Original post by slothcalledsid

Me! :smile:

I'm also doing British Political History (this is a resit for me though :colondollar: )
I'm a bit worried about it. I never seem to do as well as I think on source papers! :frown:
Reply 25
I'm a bit worried about it. I never seem to do as well as I think on source papers! :frown:

Just go through the who, what, why, when, how. Normally with the "what" it's what they don't say (ie. question on medical care and it talks about the food they get in the hospitals - irrelevant). Keep cross-referencing. It's a good idea to annotate your sources in the exam beforehand quickly, and decide whether they agree or disagree (or both) to the question. I use different sized + or - (to show extent) to remind myself.
Reply 26
Original post by Mr Faust
Introduction
1. 2-3 sentences
2. Answer the question
3. State which sources agree/disagree with the question

Main
1. 2-5 paragraphs
2. Try to balance paragraphs in agree/disagree
3. At start and end of each paragraph, state line of argument by linking back to the question
4. cross-reference concisely and relevantly
5. Don't talk about provenance
6. Use own knowledge consistently to back up points/extend points or reason why that particular source gives that argument/perception. Make own knowledge precise and specific (numerical statistics and facts are good for this (ie. mortality rates, specific dates) as they stick out to the examiner and is a clear indication that you are using own knowledge).

Conclusion
1. State overall agreement/disagreement and extent.
2. Mention which sources back this conclusion and which challenge (and how).
3. Wrap it up nicely

May I ask why you wouldn't talk about provenance when considering the weight of one of the sources (one is going to be a primary source from that time period, so surely you should consider it's weight of evidence through its content and reliability)
Original post by Robbie242
May I ask why you wouldn't talk about provenance when considering the weight of one of the sources (one is going to be a primary source from that time period, so surely you should consider it's weight of evidence through its content and reliability)

it's fine to mention the provenance of a source if it's a primary one, however building on it won't get you marks - only if it strengthens the point you're making
Reply 28
Original post by CooperTrooper
it's fine to mention the provenance of a source if it's a primary one, however building on it won't get you marks - only if it strengthens the point you're making

So I'd make a one liner like however this source is shortly after when... therefore its utility may be limited, would that be suitable?
Reply 29
So I'd make a one liner like however this source is shortly after when... therefore its utility may be limited, would that be suitable?

Be very careful with provenance in Part B questions - completely avoid it if you can. If an examiner sees it and is mean, they will think you are going off the rails. However, saying one sentence like "the source was written in 1916, so naturally the writer would give a negative account of the War due to the heavy losses at the Somme" would be okay I guess. Just no precise dates or depth.
Reply 30
Be very careful with provenance in Part B questions - completely avoid it if you can. If an examiner sees it and is mean, they will think you are going off the rails. However, saying one sentence like "the source was written in 1916, so naturally the writer would give a negative account of the War due to the heavy losses at the Somme" would be okay I guess. Just no precise dates or depth.

I see, so even if I didn't mention it at all you could still get 40/40?
Reply 31
I see, so even if I didn't mention it at all you could still get 40/40?

I'm not entirely sure on this, but my teacher said that you get 0 marks for provenance in Part B, so I assume yes. You should be able to back your points up strongly with cross-referencing and own knowledge to get 40/40, without resorting to use the risky "partial provenance". Personally, I don't think it's worth thinking about.
Reply 32
I'm not entirely sure on this, but my teacher said that you get 0 marks for provenance in Part B, so I assume yes. You should be able to back your points up strongly with cross-referencing and own knowledge to get 40/40, without resorting to use the risky "partial provenance". Personally, I don't think it's worth thinking about.

Cheers for the advice, I will not place emphasis on it in a separate paragraph or anything daft like that, I may do what you said just incase. Thanks a lot and good luck, I got women's suffrage and I'm dreading it so much
Reply 33
Cheers for the advice, I will not place emphasis on it in a separate paragraph or anything daft like that, I may do what you said just incase. Thanks a lot and good luck, I got women's suffrage and I'm dreading it so much

No problem :smile: good luck to you too! We've both had rough times I know with Unit 1, but despite being constantly stressed with this and everything else on top (3 exams next week, one is an 8 hour Art exam) I have a good feeling about Unit 2.
Reply 34
No problem :smile: good luck to you too! We've both had rough times I know with Unit 1, but despite being constantly stressed with this and everything else on top (3 exams next week, one is an 8 hour Art exam) I have a good feeling about Unit 2.

Cheers! Unit 1 went well actually (even though I thought it would go bad :tongue:), I also have 3 exams next week and had 4 this week :eek:. Hopefully, I've got no teachers for this resit so its really down to me this time, copying examiner reports, re-doing questions and all that jazz, hopefully I get a good mark
Reply 35
Cheers! Unit 1 went well actually (even though I thought it would go bad :tongue:), I also have 3 exams next week and had 4 this week :eek:. Hopefully, I've got no teachers for this resit so its really down to me this time, copying examiner reports, re-doing questions and all that jazz, hopefully I get a good mark

Yes, this time round was better (I think hope). Wow, I feel better about my exams now, at least I don't have that many, my last one is on the 24th of this month. WE CAN DO THIS.

Goodnight :tongue:
Reply 36
Yes, this time round was better (I think hope). Wow, I feel better about my exams now, at least I don't have that many, my last one is on the 24th of this month. WE CAN DO THIS.

Goodnight :tongue:

Goodnight! my last it one the 10th of june so quite a way away

Yeah one sentence is good because if you take the same evidence from a contemporary source as a primary source you've clearly gone wrong in your use of the sources, just acknowledge its context :P
Reply 38
Original post by CooperTrooper
Yeah one sentence is good because if you take the same evidence from a contemporary source as a primary source you've clearly gone wrong in your use of the sources, just acknowledge its context :P

Cheers mate, hopefully I'll have a better chance at smashing this exam now :cool:
Reply 39
Thanks guys !! But what are the likely predictions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending