The Student Room Group

Post your unpopular opinions...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
I think the NHS wastes a great deal of money and needs complete reform. Our health care system is no wear near as good as the French and it deserves to be better. therefore I prefer private healthcare.
Despite what many might think, I do think smoking looks kinda cool, but that deosn't mean I don't understand how bad it is.
Original post by Ruffiio
Battle royale?

I was thinking the Hunger Games.
Probably not unpopular on TSR but over the entire world it is and that is that religion has a net negative influence on the world and the ethics it espouses are not original.
Original post by TheBitchOf96
iPhones are overrated and overpriced, as some of the Samsung Galaxy phones are just as good, if not better, for half the price. The same goes for iPads.

Seconded. I've used an ipad and iphone and do think there are much better cheaper tablets and phones out there.
Original post by reemaisthinking
No. Why?

A lot of vegetarians - ones like yourself, who are so because of their dislike of the idea of breeding animals for food, etc...- still eat sea food and fish, which always confuses me.
I think money is wasted on certain sciences that offer no advancement for humans. Like astrophysics and most space programs, they should be scrapped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ArcaneAnna
Why do you need a stable relationship? I agree with the career, home and a head screwed onto your shoulders. But a single parent can cope just as well as two parents.

Perhaps, however personally I think its better for the child to be brought up with two parents. For example, two parents mean that one parent can work whilst the other brings up the child whilst in early development (or have more of a balance) rather than the single parent having to rely on a nanny or relying on the government which I think is a bad influence. No offense but theres supposed to be a mother and a father (or same sex idc) for a reason...

That being said I'm pretty much the only person I know whos parents haven't divorced or seperated so maybe I'm pretty backwards here haha :s-smilie:
Original post by Kings0
Christopher Ecclestone was the best Doctor
Big Bang Theory is overrated
Rice pudding is disgusting
Miranda Hart isn't as funny as she thinks she is
FIFA is dull as heck

I was reading your post and I literally just went 'yes, no, yes, no, yes..'
Original post by R4INBOW
1) Robert Pattinson is ugly imo

2) People who listen to alternative music and claim to know what "real" music is are *****. I listen to alternative music but don't think I'm above anyone else.

3) People who are over 30 on this site really need to get off. It's a student site. Not a site for the middle aged. Your youth is over. deal with it

4) I find people who do arts to be quite pretentious most of the time. Not all, but A LOT.

5) Mila Kunis is waaaaay overrated

Agree with all of this.
Original post by reemaisthinking
Eating meat shouldn't be allowed. There is no rhyme or reason other than human greed of something that 'tastes yummy'. Don't give me that 'it's a source of protein *******s as insects have way more relative protein but I don't see you eating them! The arrogance of humanity of this 'I can so I will' attitude it idiotic. Rearing animals for meat is such a cruel thing- adding to the fact most people couldn't kill anything themselves and those piss poor excuses for meat-eaters who don't like veins or any trace of blood in their meat!! It's MEAT you fools!
Thank you for reading :smile:

I understand your reasoning on this, I do also think that the amount of meat we tend to consume is unnecessary and selfish in that the animals welfare is often highly disregarded. However it is a very idealistic thought that meat could be banned or even reduced massively. There are many reasons for this the main two being economic, though meat consumption may be selfish and sometimes morally wrong (though in my opinion it's only morally wrong if the animals are mistreat i.e in the factory and intensive farming) however selfish it may be though it would not be worth an economical crash worse than you've ever seen just for the banning of it. The other main reason is space allowance for non-livestock agriculture, I read a study a while a go (sorry I don't know what study it is now so I don't have a source for this but take my word for it if you will) but in order for our western world to be fed entirely on non-meat products and still receive enough nutrients the scale of non--livestock farming would have to increase massively, to a scale at which we would be unlikely to cope with food demands as many places don't suite the right growing conditions etc. Anyway I used to think similarly to you but after reading about it I realized how over idealistic and difficult it would be to maintain.
Reply 450
People hating on Michael Gove are generally quite dumb.
Democracy is stupid, most people are too dumb to be given choices.
Hitler is unfairly demonised, he did what he believed was right.
People don't like different at all, they want everyone to be the same.

Care to explain?
(edited 10 years ago)
I agree with Eugenics
Reply 452
Original post by Super Cicero
Thanks. Yep, we're all insane here at the Russell Group university I study at. Shame I couldn't see what its like at Kingston "University", but I'm afraid I got A*AA at A Level, not CDE so I wouldn't know.

Haha, sorry I didn't focus on grades while I was working in the industry. :rolleyes:
But hey, at least now I can say I'll be in a better off position than most of the people coming out of Russell Group unis!

Oh, also: "It's not what you know, but who you know".

Majority of my university friends come from single parent families.

That sentence really does not reflect anything about anybody. 99% of my sixth form mates went to a uni somewhere.
(edited 10 years ago)
Alt-J are boring as ****
Excellent. You're just much more articulate than I :colondollar:
I agree with what you've said, and I think there have been laws and promoted awareness of the over-farming of animals, so perhaps we're getting there..slowly.
...You're issues with plants worried me more than I like to admit.
Reply 455
Original post by KD35

People hating on Michael Gove are generally quite dumb.
Democracy is stupid, most people are too dumb to be given choices.

Kind of agree with these two points, it annoys me that people just hate change whatever it may be to education or any or other department. I get the impression it must be impossible to alter anything because everyone will just hate it and jump on the hate bandwagon no matter how minor or insignificant the change may be.

One of the reasons i disagree with UKIP is the fact they will give binding referendums to the public on local issues providing 5% of the public want it. This is linked in with the fact that i don't want the public to decide on whether we stay in or leave the European Union because they are ignorant of the situation and will have been brainwashed into someone else's view of the EU by the media such as DailyMail which obviously has the most readership because people are idiots.

On another note, i am against gay marriage although if it did pass i personally wouldn't care that much because it wont really effect me, then again that probably sounds hypocritical i know but oh well.

I also am in favor of capital punishment in some cases e.g. murder where guilt is proven beyond all doubt.

Just to counteract these views, i am pro-euthanasia and pro-abortion.
(edited 10 years ago)
A lot of vegetarians - ones like yourself, who are so because of their dislike of the idea of breeding animals for food, etc...- still eat sea food and fish, which always confuses me.

There's a name for these people which begins with P. I have to agree - I've never understood this either. I did used to know someone who claimed they were vegetarian and ate chicken.:s-smilie: How is that different to me saying I'm a meat eater; but I don't eat certain meats because of their taste and texture?
I agree that this seems very hypocritical.

However, although I am not vegetarian, I don't think I could eat dog. So I guess that is also a double-standard.
The idea that there isn't a God is far more comforting than the idea that there is one. There are ethical justifications for eating meat beyond 'it tastes nice.' The Big Bang Theory (not the show, the actual theory :tongue:) borders on nonsensical. Our generation's music is not crap (well, not entirely) - on the contrary, with electronic and dance music we've tapped into something incredible. Fanfiction is brilliant. I actually like Elementary (Sherlock fans, bring the lynch kit). Celebrations is the best chocolate box out there (wouldn't seem very controversial, but you'd be surprised how many 'OMG' reactions I've got). Siblings are not obligated to love each other. Gay people should be allowed to adopt. Life is fundamentally good. Gender is not binary. I agree with capital punishment in certain cases - and it should be a possible sentence for serial rapists as well as murderers/terrorists etc. Teenagers are often some of the most intelligent, rational, incredible people I have ever met. My 'faith in humanity' is in positive numbers.
After reading this thread, I genuinely find it quite scary how many fascists we apparently have on tsr.

Quick Reply