The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature WJEC anyone? 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shanflakes
Is anybody doing The Wife of Bath and The White Devil? We've only just started the Wife of Bath and the exams in a couple of weeks! So our teacher isn't going to have time to go over where the 2 books can be compared and contrasted and I can literally only think of women or sin maybe? :eek:

We are doing The Wife of Bath but to compare with unseen poetry; our two texts to compare are Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy.
From our lessons we've picked out women in society, the WoB's power over her husbands, love vs marriage for use, and sex as main themes in WoB.
Chaucer is making the WoB use religion and religious quotes in the way she does to make a point.
You can look at the WoB as a caricature of women at the time, and look at it as satire.
Erm... Hope that helps? :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by HistoryGal
We are doing The Wife of Bath but to compare with unseen poetry; our two texts to compare are Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy.
From our lessons we've picked out women in society, the WoB's power over her husbands, love vs marriage for use, and sex as main themes in WoB.
Chaucer is making the WoB use religion and religious quotes in the way she does to make a point.
You can look at the WoB as a caricature of women at the time, and look at it as satire.
Erm... Hope that helps? :biggrin:

We haven't done anything like this in class! It's making me panic hahaa, thank you so much!! There's a few of those themes I could use in our of book I think as well
We haven't done anything like this in class! It's making me panic hahaa, thank you so much!! There's a few of those themes I could use in our of book I think as well

Welcome! I've never read the White Devil and have no idea what it's about! Don't panic!! Also a good tip would be look at the themes etc when reading it in modern English and just learn the quotes in Chaucer's English?

This website is quite good! Look at the side by side text =)
http://www.librarius.com/canttran/wftltrfs.htm
Reply 63
Original post by HistoryGal
Welcome! I've never read the White Devil and have no idea what it's about! Don't panic!! Also a good tip would be look at the themes etc when reading it in modern English and just learn the quotes in Chaucer's English?

This website is quite good! Look at the side by side text =)
http://www.librarius.com/canttran/wftltrfs.htm

Ooo that website is good, I've just been reading some of the essays on it aswell! How are you learning your quotes by the way? I'm finding it hard because its in Middle English!
Reply 64
Hi Guys :biggrin:

I'm also taking this exam in the Summer. I've learnt around 11 Blake poems and have been getting As and A*s in and my MFM essays. How is everyone feeling? Does anyone know what I need in this exam to get an A overall? I received 170 UMS for AS, and have received a high A for my coursework. Anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by s_axo

I'm also taking this exam in the Summer. I've learnt around 11 Blake poems and have been getting As and A*s in and my MFM essays. How is everyone feeling? Does anyone know what I need in this exam to get an A overall? I received 170 UMS for AS, and have received a high A for my coursework. Anyone? :biggrin:

To get an A overall for this year you need to obtain 150 UMS. An A in the coursework is about 65/80 UMS. You need about 85 UMS. Of course, you may need less since you say you got a high A, but the UMS conversions and boundaries do vary.
Reply 66
Original post by H0ls
To get an A overall for this year you need to obtain 150 UMS. An A in the coursework is about 65/80 UMS. You need about 85 UMS. Of course, you may need less since you say you got a high A, but the UMS conversions and boundaries do vary.

Thank you very much. Do you know what kind of grade 150 UMS is? I'm so rubbish with this UMS converting stuff...!!
Reply 67
Original post by s_axo
Thank you very much. Do you know what kind of grade 150 UMS is? I'm so rubbish with this UMS converting stuff...!!

Middle B.
Reply 68
Original post by H0ls
Middle B.

Thank you very much. Shall give ye rep.
Reply 69
Original post by s_axo

Out of curiosity, what raw mark did you get in LT3? I'm so confused on whether I got an A in it or not
Original post by Selym95
Out of curiosity, what raw mark did you get in LT3? I'm so confused on whether I got an A in it or not

THIS IS A GODSEND:
http://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx#

It shows your raw mark as a UMS
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by RunningInHeels
THIS IS A GODSEND:
http://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx#

It shows your raw mark as a UMS
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot. Good lord, 35/40 for an A!
Reply 72
Original post by Selym95

I sadly haven't been told. All I got was that I received a 'very high A'
Ooo that website is good, I've just been reading some of the essays on it aswell! How are you learning your quotes by the way? I'm finding it hard because its in Middle English!

Quotes wise I've only learnt some Shakespeare at the mo (desperately need to learn some WoB) but I had them all written out on note cards with about 8 on each card and I've been going over a card when I get into bed and just saying it over and over in my head until I fall asleep and they've stuck! Gonna try the same with WoB but with maybe 4/5 quotes not 8 because they are so much harder!!!
Reply 74
Best wishes to all those sitting this LT4 exam, it's a tough nut tell ya, but we can all do well, if we put our mind to it! Shoutout to the peeps doing Wife Of Bath, Measure for measure or the duchess of malfi :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Gerrie
Best wishes to all those sitting this LT4 exam, it's a tough nut tell ya, but we can all do well, if we put our mind to it! Shoutout to the peeps doing Wife Of Bath, Measure for measure or the duchess of malfi :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually quite like the open nature of this exam!
Reply 76
In total agreement with you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
How far is everyone in their preparation for LT4? Not sure whether I feel confident or not :tongue:
How does one review this subject? I really need to get a B!!
Reply 79
Original post by snpretorius
How does one review this subject? I really need to get a B!!

I've divided the plays in to their main topics and learnt the most pertinent quotes. I also have learnt a number of Blake poems, and literally doing every past paper I can get my hands on :P Looking at unseen poems under timed conditions is also very useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending