The Student Room Group

Strong Men Are More Right Wing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Actually the way the study was presented in the OP was completely incorrect. The study suggests that stronger men support their own interests. In other words: poor strong men are leftist, rich strong men are right-wing.

Considering that more people are poor than rich, the study suggest the opposite of what the original post suggest: instead that strong men are more likely to be left-wing.

Though what the study seems to suggest is not anything to do with connecting physical strength to political attitudes. But that stronger men are more likely to base their political attitudes on their own benefit (though that is an interpretation of the data).

Edit: As a side note, am I the only one that actually read the article?

This is correct, but I think the most interesting point is the pattern was reversed for physically weaker men: the wealthy are more likely to be left wing, while the poor are more likely to be right wing.

And judging from the responses, I don't think many people did read the article carefully after all.
Reply 21
Would make for an interesting psychological effect. Looks like I totally conform to it. :tongue:

Edit: Though reading it and seeing that it accounts for income too, I wouldn't say I was either rich or poor. But I do get the feeling that the more money I did have, the more acutely I'd feel the need to help people who were in starkly worse circumstances to me.

It is strange to think that physical strength would affect this kind of thing - maybe it doesn't. Could be that both political views and one's strength are determined by some underlying factor, like hormones.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Actually the way the study was presented in the OP was completely incorrect. The study suggests that stronger men support their own interests. In other words: poor strong men are leftist, rich strong men are right-wing.

Considering that more people are poor than rich, the study suggest the opposite of what the original post suggest: instead that strong men are more likely to be left-wing.

Though what the study seems to suggest is not anything to do with connecting physical strength to political attitudes. But that stronger men are more likely to base their political attitudes on their own benefit (though that is an interpretation of the data).

Edit: As a side note, am I the only one that actually read the article?

It's quite interesting that the countries studied are the US, Denmark and Argentina, given that that their reference points for 'left and right' are actually Labour and the Tories; while in Denmark that would probably be the same, in the US the Conservatives would be regarded as on the 'left' while in Argentina Labour would be considered to be on the right.
Reply 23
Original post by Algorithm69
I'd say I fit that stereotype. I'm muscular and libertarian.

Libertarian is left wing, not right. Isn't what you mean to say is that you go against the stereotype.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tim2341
Libertarian is left wing, not right. Isn't what you mean to say is that you go against the stereotype.

It can be either, to an extent.

Anyway. As a STRONG UPPER BODIED MALE (failed to think of anything with good initials) I'm very central.

BOOO. STUDY. U SUX.
Reply 25
Original post by Tim2341

It can be both.
Reply 26
Doesn't make them any less twatty
Original post by SpiggyTopes
X

This, from the DM

The conclusion: your intelligence as a child correlates strongly with socially liberal views. People with low IQs tend to be more in favour of harsh punishments, more homophobic and more likely to be racist. Interestingly, as these were IQ scores measured when young this does seem to be a measure of something innate, not merely exposure to ‘liberal’ views through education.

From http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2097652/Does-low-IQ-make-right-wing-That-depends-define-left-right.html

That tallies with my experience. Right-wingers tend to be less intelligent, more belligerent, and so on.
Original post by MostUncivilised
This, from the DM

From http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2097652/Does-low-IQ-make-right-wing-That-depends-define-left-right.html

That tallies with my experience. Right-wingers tend to be less intelligent, more belligerent, and so on.

I was about to post that. :redface:
Reply 29
Original post by concubine
It can be either, to an extent.

Anyway. As a STRONG UPPER BODIED MALE (failed to think of anything with good initials) I'm very central.

BOOO. STUDY. U SUX.

What does this mean? "BOOO. STUDY. U SUX."

and what does that mean? "
(failed to think of anything with good initials)"
You've got strong upper strength but you're libertarian and like new labour's political philosophy for example?
Reply 30
Original post by MostUncivilised
This, from the DM

Right wingism tends to be a simplistic view of the world thereby distorting the true complexity of realism, so this is correlation with rightism and IQ is very feasible.
Reply 31
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Strong men are more likely to be right-wing while weedier specimens tend to have more liberal views, a study suggests.

Researchers found that men's opinions on redistribution of wealth could be predicted by their upper body strength, with powerful men more likely to take a conservative stance of protecting their own interests.

In contrast men who were just as wealthy but were of a flimsier build were less opposed to policies like those of Labour leader Ed Miliband, which would involve surrendering some of their wealth to society.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10061462/Stronger-men-are-more-right-wing.html

Is there no end to the bizarre stuff psychology researchers will look in to?

hitler was a bit weedy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending