The Student Room Group

Arsey's D1 Edexcel Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Okay so I screwed up Bubble sort :tongue: and Also I think Kruskal's a few more mistakes I don't think I've gotten lower than 60 though :smile: (just playing it safe)

So hopefully that means I've improved on my 50 UMS from January :biggrin:

So what grade boundaries are you guys predicting ??? :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by ivyb
I used the point testing method for question 6, I also wrote 'point testing' just to be clear. Will I loose marks for not drawing the objective line on the graph even though you're only asked to draw the 3 constraints?

no, you only draw an objective line if you use that method.

point testing should be fine.
Reply 42
Original post by posthumus
Okay so I screwed up Bubble sort :tongue: and Also I think Kruskal's a few more mistakes I don't think I've gotten lower than 60 though :smile: (just playing it safe)

So hopefully that means I've improved on my 50 UMS from January :biggrin:

So what grade boundaries are you guys predicting ??? :smile:

you really bombed on the bubble sort as that wasn't even on the paper.
Reply 43
Original post by Arsey

can you please have a look at this? :smile:

For CA, If I wrote the justification correctly for last part but still had wrong bounds ( cascade still more than lower bound) will I get any marks for last part?
Original post by Arsey

ahaha, I meant quick sort :biggrin: Oh god if I don't even know the difference... then explains it all

EDIT: aaah was about to correct you with the boat question I but your right about 2/5 I did 2/3..... will I still get 1 mark out of the 2 :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Arfas
Arsey , for Q 4 i got shortest route 31 and part B 33 i forgot to add 1 path which resulted in 31 instead of 30 but the rest of my values were correct how much will i lose out of 8?

Also for Q5) i used AB 47 not 44 :s-smilie: And continued based on that , the rest was correct i suppose , how much will i lose ?

and finally Q 6) i drew 1 inequality wrong so my region looked different but i got the rest of the Question correct how much for that too? sorry to bother you :biggrin:

I take it that means you plotted y = x+30 incorrectly

luckily prob just 2
Reply 46
Original post by Arsey

Arsey is it a correct wording to say that

the number of 2 seater boat is at most 3/2 as the number of the 4 seater boat
Reply 47
Haha when you said Bubble sort I was like omfg did I do quick sort instead XD.
Reply 48
Original post by Vaner
can you please have a look at this? :smile:

For CA, If I wrote the justification correctly for last part but still had wrong bounds ( cascade still more than lower bound) will I get any marks for last part?

it is prob M1 A1, so you will get the method (for the correct reason) but probably not the accuracy mark for saying 5.
Original post by Arsey
Fairly reasonable paper I thought

1. Matchings - pretty simple, although not breaking down the 2 required paths into separate part of the question, could cause problems.

2. Quick sort and Bin packing - very easy, I thought it was odd how the first-fit decreasing didn't reduce the number of bins though

3. Prim's and Kruskal's - very easy

4. Dikky - harder than normal due to the sneaky part of the route. Quite easy to mank up b) too.

5. Postie - standard. A common error on c) will be to repeat DE.

6. LP - not easy but it never is. Part b) will be a bloodbath.

alt to part b)

no more than 1.5 times as many small as large

for every 3 small you need at least 2 big

7. CPA - Fairly standard but the backward scans not using the dummy paths will be a very common error. Gantt chart took too long. f) and g) will be poorly answered.

Overall I would say it was a little easier than Jan, I would expect it to be around 63 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

Made this account to thank you on making the effort in uploading these pdf's and day after the exams.

my impression was i did good in D1, halfway through question 4 though my table randomly collapsed (pens and papers went flying in all directions) lost a at-least 5 minutes and had trouble picking up where i started, a real pain. probably lost a good 2-4 marks from that "incident" :frown:.
Reply 50
for the 2 day delay qu, i just said
i) it would have no effect on the completion date
ii) completion date would be two days later

would i get the full marks even if I haven't explained it?
Reply 51
Original post by otrivine

looks fine to me.
Reply 52
Looks like I lost 1/2 marks. Hopefully 100 UMS :biggrin:
How did everyone find it? I thought it wasn't too extreme, but took a while to do
Reply 53
Original post by Arsey

I take it that means you plotted y = x+30 incorrectly

luckily prob just 2
okay what about Q4 and Q5 ?
Reply 54
Original post by theseeker
Also, for the linear programming the 2x less than equal 3y..if I put, the number of 4 seater boats must be at least 2/3 of 2 seater boats..is that okay?

yes, sounds okay. It is going to be a nightmare to mark this question.
Reply 55
thanks arsey and for the prims when I drew it out, I did it correctly like you but I did not put the values just the lines connecting is that okay, there was not enough time:redface:

you don't need them
Reply 56
I said.....2 times the number of 2 seater boats cannot exceed 3 times the number of 4 seater boats. Anyone know if this is fine?

Can't believe gantt chart was 4 marks! It took me more than 10 mins to draw it. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Yeah it was an alright paper but that gantt chart sure did take long, I didn't have enough time to complete it and just forget to use my ruler. Although I'm certain for the ones I did complete I got them right. Djikestra/whatever his name is was good. All my friends said it was 31 and the route from s to g including f was 31 as well so I though I messed up on that one. For quick sort for some reason I thought 0.9 was 0.7 and 0.7 was 0.9 and had to quickly correct it, hopefully the examiner can pick it out. Other than that it was alright 65/68 if I have a nice examiner.

I think that's what I wrote... or I might have done 2/3. Becoming paranoid here :tongue:

I got 7 e) wrong as well as quick sort :frown: And Kruskal's... no way I can get A now
Reply 59
Original post by Dilzo999
Arsey, for the gantt question I didn't have enough time to write an explanation but I knew the answer was 5 for the lower bound of workers. Will I still get 1 mark for just putting 5?
no method, no reason, no accuracy mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending