The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I miscalculated the sum of midpoints so got the mean wrong and thus the standard deviation wrong. I did the correct method though. Could somebody tell me how many marks out of 5 I would lose?
What is 40 out of 75 as a grade roughly? someone help me please!
Reply 262
Original post by AhmedNazar
What is 40 out of 75 as a grade roughly? someone help me please!

2010 May S1 : 40 RAW MARKS = 58 UMS
2011 May S1 : 40 RAW MARKS = 51 UMS
2012 May S1 : 40 RAW MARKS = 50 UMS

Based on the average score for last 3 years for this module exam, roughly a D.
Reply 263
Original post by Titus20
I miscalculated the sum of midpoints so got the mean wrong and thus the standard deviation wrong. I did the correct method though. Could somebody tell me how many marks out of 5 I would lose?

The question was out of 5 marks, so based on previous mark schemes :

1 mark for attempt at ∑fx
1 mark for mean = 24.2 (3s.f./or correct rounding)
1 mark for an attempt at σ , (following through mean)
1 mark for a correct expression including square root, (follow through mean)
1 mark for s= 9.29 (3s.f./or correct rounding)

So you would gain around 3 marks out of 5, ie lose 2 marks.
guys is there anything like erro carried forward
please help:confused:
hey mate thanks a lot for this, how many marks do you think would be 100 UMS on this paper?
Original post by Arsey
Decent paper, every question had been asked before, nothing sneaky or too hard at all.

1. Correlation and regression - pretty easy but took a long time. Part e) will be poorly answered.

2. Box plots - very easy

3. Probability - pretty easy

4. Mean, sd, median, coding - all pretty simple

5. drv - I thought this was easy but I can see it causing problems

6. Normal distribution - standard.

Quite a bit easier than Jan, but S1 boundaries are generally low as a higher prortion of weaker candidates take S1. The highest summer boundary in the last 10 years was 61.

I am going for 62 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

For 6 B it asked for the percentage but I left the answer as a decimal like you..is that full marks for the question??
Reply 267
Original post by Potential Medic
If you have gotten the Venn diagram wrong, but then went on to get the next part from your venn diagram, would you still get the marks for ECF?

You should get at least the method marks, but don't know about the accuracy marks.
So depends on the mark scheme, although you should get all marks for following through your values from your previous answer(s).
I think you've made a mistake plotting the outlier on the box plot, it's meant to be 14 but you've plotted it as 26? Correct me if I am wrong
Original post by KateMcM
and for part B of normal dist it wanted percentage, so 2.74% but brilliant thank you!

thats what i put. is it wrong :O
Reply 270
Original post by physicshelper
guys is there anything like erro carried forward
please help:confused:

Yes, they are called follow through marks (indicated by "ft" in the mark scheme)
Reply 271
Original post by Arun1323
i said the mean should not be used because of extreme values, not because the data was skewed. would that be wrong?

Also, the question, what would be the effect on parts a,b,c,d if the values were reduced by 5 marks, I got everything right, except I failed to mention the standard deviation as i didn't read it. Would I just lose one mark?

I put this! It's a true statement so they should give us the mark, I didn't even consider calculating skewness, oops!
Anyone help? :smile: If I used 1490000 and 22400 instead of 1491222.222 and 22408.888 to work out the product moment correlation coefficient and the regression line - how many marks have I thrown away?
Don't you think that then boundaries for An A would be lower than January? I expect to be honestly 59
Reply 274
How much is needed out of 75 for full UMS?

THANKS
for 1 f. to find the difference in temperature rite?

I put my final answer as -7.5. will i still get the 2marks ?
Reply 276
I definately got 49-51 out of 75 dropped stupid stupid marks :frown:
Original post by krisshP
How much is needed out of 75 for full UMS?

THANKS

normally 75. It very occasionally fluctuates down to 73 or something, but not too often :smile:
Reply 278
Shouldn't the outlier be 14?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tamerdakkak
Don't you think that then boundaries for An A would be lower than January? I expect to be honestly 59

It was easier than the January paper tbh, so I don't think so.

Original post by jehearo
Shouldn't the outlier be 14?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Arsey accidentally put it on 24. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending