The Student Room Group

Shall I quit nursing?

I am nearing the end of my 2 year of nursing but I am really struggling. I am not sure if nursing Is something I really want to do. And I am currently on placement and I am not putting in as much enthusiasm and effort because I don't feel comfortable and I'm not sure if I want to continue with the course. I lack confidence and I am very much out of my element and comfort zone. I was thinking about quitting but then I'm worried I might regret it. but then I was also considering deferring a year and then starting back and hopefully by the time I start again I may be more prepared. I don't know what to do. I am really uncomfortable with the placements which is a major part of the job. Anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Personally, I'd stick with it, you have got this far after all. Another year will go by quite quickly. Even if you don't want to work as a nurse, there might be other health related occupations that would suit you better, but you'd have your degree under your belt. Have you spoken to your personal tutor about it, and your mentor on placement?
bw
Elizabeth
Reply 2
Don't quit.

It sounds like it might be sensible for you to defer for a year (if that is a viable option) and during your time off try to get to the root of your confidence issues.

The ideal situation would be for you to come back with a renewed confidence and sense of enthusiam which will hopefully carry you through to the end of your course. It can be a very trying profession. You will continue to be tested long after qualifying should you decide on nursing for a career. It is important that you have the confidence to be able to deal with these types of situations. That comes from experience which is why your placements are so important.

I agree with the above poster, you should have a chat with your advisor of studies / mentor in the first instance.

All the best.
Reply 3
I have spoken to my mentor and all she kept saying is I need to build up my confidence. Not really anything constructive that will help me. And I've tried to talk to my personal tutor today Infact but I couldn't get Hold of him. I'm thinking about deferring but I'm so close to the end of year 2 but I don't know if I can handle this placement. I don't want to quit but I'm not sure if I can carry on. I'm just so uncomfortable on placements and I should be ok with them by now but I'm not. I have no idea what to do. Thanks for the advice though. It helped.
Reply 4
I also think you should try and stick it out if you can. Have you liked any of your placements? Maybe you just haven't found your preferred area yet? Good luck x
I spoke to a nurse recently and she said she was on the verge of quitting by the end of her first year.
Now she's been doing nursing for over 30 years and she doesn't regret it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by This Honest
I spoke to a nurse recently and she said she was on the verge of quitting by the end of her first year.
Now she's been doing nursing for over 30 years and she doesn't regret it :smile:

Keep going. Its a good degree and theres plenty of opportunities once you have it under your belt. The world is your oyster. Grit your teeth and keep going xx
Reply 7
I find the placements so hard though. I don't know what's wrong with me. I should be ok with them by now but for some reason I just hate going on them. I know I lack confidence i just have no idea how to get this confident that they all say I need to get. I just get really nervous on placement and I have no idea what I'm doing. I enjoyed my theatre placement though and working in recovary. So if I do finish this that's what I would go into. But placements are just really hard for me. Maybe it's because I lack knowledge or I'm not putting in as much effort because of not being sure if I want to carry on with this. It's easy for people to say just grin and bear it but I just really struggle in placements.
I think you need to look at why you dont like being on placement. We have all probably had a placement that we have dreaded going into and have absolutely hated but if its every placement then maybe there is a problem. Do you feel its because you dont have enough knowledge and you scared that you may get asked something you dont know etc? If so then that can be worked on, you can study up on things that you know may come up the next day. If its confidence and its taking a knocking everyday, then its a bit more difficult. I really suffered with low confidence and it doesnt take much to knock it. but it is one of those things that come with time and normally a really good mentor will help. if you really are just grinning and bearing it and genuinely dont like what you are doing then I suppose you can hang on to the knowledge that you enjoy theaters and recovery and aim to work there and re look at your options. I hope this helps in some way
Reply 9
...Hi Jaders, I know exactly what you mean. Ive been looking around this topic because Im on the verge of quitting. Im 3 months into 2nd year. I, like yourself lack confidence and people can sense it and I can see that they don’t have faith in me because of this. My mentor told me the other day that everyone is feeding back that I don’t see the big picture of what Im doing. One colleague is making a great job of telling everyone about how useless I am and today she made a big loud joke across the ward implying that I don’t know what I’m doing. It was humiliating. This has all made me feel constantly anxious. Frankly, the sad thing is that I do actually feel like I don’t know what I’m doing and it’s really uncomfortable for me as I’m used to being ok in my jobs. I feel like I’ve frozen inside and can’t be bothered to battle on and try to fix things because don’t I think I want to spend my life in this career anyways. Im not a quitter, I always finish what I start. I am so afraid too of regretting quitting but I don’t think I can bare much more of ward placements. On paper this course is perfect for me but I just get a horrible feeling when I’m on ward placement because of some of the overpowering, critical characters I have to work with, the abundance of paper work and clinical skills to be learned. I think it is not all about sticking it out, it’s about figuring out whether or not nursing is actually for you or not. I think I’ve come to my decision and its sad as Im 38 now and just wanted to settle with this career but I don’t think I can. I’ve been having some difficulties in my personal life for a while so it might be an idea for me to defer for a year and see what I can do to help myself, my confidence, my knowledge etc and if I still can’t bare it after that then I’ll give up. I’m going to look into this tomorrow. I really think you should think about deferring rather than quit at this stage. Everyone is being really nice by encouraging you to stick it but it may not be the answer because there is the chance that nursing isn’t for you. I think it would be admiral if you continue and try to break though the problems you’re having but also very brave and mature to know if it is time for you to call it a day. Just take great care with your decision. I think you shout defer if you can, just my opinion. Take care and Good luck :smile: Actually, I've just noticed that these posts are from May. Let me know what you decided to :smile:
Hi Jaders, I feel the exact same way and just wondered if you qualified and how you feel now? I’m so confused, I lack confidence and I worry I will always be this way. Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending