The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrinceyJ
Just a small thing, but I think it's best grade they get you to in maths first.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. XD
Original post by reubenkinara
Oh, I know I can do that :smile:
I mean Could M1 be completely disregarded. Could I use D1, M2, M3. With M1 not used for anything.

Oh, right, no, if you want M2/ M3 you need M1 in either Maths or Further maths
Original post by Felix Felicis
Oh, right, no, if you want M2/ M3 you need M1 in either Maths or Further maths

I see. Thanks for the info!
I find the MAT significantly easier than STEP I :dontknow: I'll sit STEP II/III next year anyway, regardless of whether I get into Cambridge, sooooo :biggrin:

Hmm, do you need to be an Oxford applicant to take the MAT? :curious:

I don't think so, otherwise why would Imperial ask for it? :dontknow:

I'm going to try to qualify for next year's IMO :cool: compared to other asian countries, my country is overall pretty **** at maths... and we're about 1/3 the size of the UK population wise, so should be a little easier to qualify.

So hopefully I'm at IMO standard by 2014 :rolleyes:
Original post by justinawe

I'm going to try to qualify for next year's IMO :cool: compared to other asian countries, my country is overall pretty **** at maths... and we're about 1/3 the size of the UK population wise, so should be a little easier to qualify.

Haha, woah! Yeah, I'm going to try and prep for some competition maths as well over summer :cool: I'm just gonna try and aim for BMO2 next year though, never mind IMO. xD
I don't think so, otherwise why would Imperial ask for it? :dontknow:

As an international applicant, can you apply to both Oxbridge unis? If so, are you? Additionally, have you shortlisted the colleges that you'll apply to or are you making (an) open application(s)?
Is there an 'unofficial' mark scheme to OCR C1 that was done on monday yet? :smile:
(Can you link me to it if there is)
Thanks x
Original post by vickyhunt
Is there an 'unofficial' mark scheme to OCR C1 that was done on monday yet? :smile:
Thanks x

There is a non MRI one I think?
Thanks x

NON MEI

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2350074
Perfect, thanks a lot!:smile:

My pleasure :smile:
As an international applicant, can you apply to both Oxbridge unis? If so, are you? Additionally, have you shortlisted the colleges that you'll apply to or are you making (an) open application(s)?

I don't think so :eek: I definitely would if I can, though. They'll have an "Oxbridge applicants briefing" of sorts at my college soon, so I guess I'll find out.

For Cambridge, I've narrowed it down to Pembroke, King's and Emmanuel. I'd make an open application, but I don't want to end up somewhere like Girton :teehee:
I don't think so :eek: I definitely would if I can, though. They'll have an "Oxbridge applicants briefing" of sorts at my college soon, so I guess I'll find out.

For Cambridge, I've narrowed it down to Pembroke, King's and Emmanuel. I'd make an open application, but I don't want to end up somewhere like Girton :teehee:

Thanks Justinawe. What did you think of S1?
I'd hate to be at Trinity for maths :redface: Imagine being in the same college as the entire UK IMO team and several international IMOers :redface: I'd feel like an infant :rofl:

True, but the college doesn't count for much and trinity is pretty big :tongue:
Haha, woah! Yeah, I'm going to try and prep for some competition maths as well over summer :cool: I'm just gonna try and aim for BMO2 next year though, never mind IMO. xD

Gotta aim for the top :cool:

Even if I do somehow qualify, I'm pretty sure I'll end up embarrassing myself and getting 0/42 :colonhash:
Thanks Justinawe. What did you think of S1?

I only really glanced through the paper, but I think it was pretty standard.

I got a good look through the international paper some of my friends sat though, I think it was slightly trickier than the ones you guys sat.
I think I will do better this time on C2 and S2 since I won't be blasting out 6 papers the day before the exam (ran out of time to do them all, so basically went from M1 straight to S1). Just finished all solomons for C2 confident on a high mark, as for S2 just gotta get better at interpreting questions. And for FP1 gotta remember all of it within 16 days :tongue: after not doing it for a month a half
I only really glanced through the paper, but I think it was pretty standard.

I got a good look through the international paper some of my friends sat though, I think it was slightly trickier than the ones you guys sat.

A fair few people on here and IRL that I've spoken to (including myself) seemed to struggle for time in this S1 paper, which has never really been a problem for me at least. Why do you think that is? I'm putting it down to me being extra careful in checking work and then the venn diagram question threw me slightly (but at least I got it in the end! :tongue:). Which is very annoying because I don't think it was an especially difficult paper, but I've lost 4 marks right off the bat due to lack of time

Original post by L'Evil Fish

Original post by DJMayes

Original post by joostan

Could anyone have a go at this question please:

i posted it a while a go and i still cant see what i have done wrong
i am actually defumbled!!!

i can do part A and part B
part C is a killer

i can see that we need to know a value for A' since i did like a whole page of calculation then to see at the end that A' doesnt cancel out!! - and it couldnt anyway...grr

any help will be great

oh and i think its C4..might be wrong though :biggrin:

this is what i did

picture059 - Copy (2).jpg
picture058 - Copy.jpg

notice the :qed: lol

oh and i sort of left it as that...unfinished :O

thanks

ryan

math1.jpg
No...you don't necessarily have to be of IMO standard to get in to Trinity but once you're there, I'm saying, you'll be living with people on the same course as you who are in just a completely different league to you...I dunno, I just find the prospect of that to be demoralising. xD

I know, but most of the highest caliber ones will undoubtedly be :redface:

tbh, you only get 6 IMO competitors every year, and no offense but, UK IMO competitors are rarely near the top of the competition :mmm:

Most top international IMO people (like the Chinese, those guys get dedicated IMO training every year! :eek:) go somewhere closer to home rather than Cambridge. UK education is extremely expensive, especially for non-EU residents, and full scholarships are extremely hard to come by for non-vocational subjects like maths.

I bet half of them go and do something like engineering anyway :rolleyes: what a waste of mathematical talent!

Latest

Trending

Trending