The Student Room Group

Unconditional Offer + Current Course

Hey guys, not sure where I should post this, so feel free to move it. I have a question.

If I have received an unconditional offer for a new course starting in August this year, but I fail the course I am currently doing - is this unconditional offer withdrawn?
Reply 1
Although I dont know the definite answer. I would not have thought so based on the fact that it is unconditional? I am sure they might ask why you failed but because it is not a condition to pass I wouldnt have thought so.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Reply 2
The current course, and the HND I am progressing onto as well are not related. The current course is in the Early Years area, while my new course is in the Creative Industries.
Reply 3
If it's unconditional then the offer is based on what you have already achieved, so any later achievements/fails won't be taken into account. They can't withdraw the offer if you fail.
Reply 4
Thank you Zottula, you have put my mind at ease! :smile:
Original post by wolfknight30
Thank you Zottula, you have put my mind at ease! :smile:

It depends if you mentioned it on UCAS or not.

If you didn't, then it won't matter if you fail or even quit.

If you did mention it on your UCAS application, and you fail or drop out then it MIGHT be a problem for the universities especially if they're competitive uni's/courses. This is because when a uni gives you an offer it is base don your WHOLE application, not just certain parts. You should call the university to find out if your offer will remain in this case, as universities can withdraw an offer any time before enrolment.
Original post by Knalchemist

If you did mention it on your UCAS application, and you fail or drop out then it MIGHT be a problem for the universities especially if they're competitive uni's/courses. This is because when a uni gives you an offer it is base don your WHOLE application, not just certain parts. You should call the university to find out if your offer will remain in this case, as universities can withdraw an offer any time before enrolment.

If you didn't mention it it will matter, because technically you've lied on your UCAS application - and therefore all offers are void.
Reply 7

Surely the fact that they haven't stipulated that the course must be passed means it can be failed? An offer cannot be withdrawn if the candidate has told the truth unless the course is cancelled.
Reply 8

Well if they didn't mention it on their UCAS form then that is a whole new problem. Lying can have serious consequences.

If they mentioned it on their form, then it is expected that they will take the course. Quitting the course is completely different to doing the full course and failing. If they quit the course, then they must inform the university and it's possible that the university will rethink the offer (unlikely in this case). Failing however should not matter is the offer is unconditional and they have not said that the course must be passed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Zottula
Well if they didn't mention it on their UCAS form then that is a whole new problem. Lying can have serious consequences.

If they mentioned it on their form, then it is expected that they will take the course. Quitting the course is completely different to doing the full course and failing. If they quit the course, then they must inform the university and it's possible that the university will rethink the offer. Failing however should not matter is the offer is unconditional and they have not said that the course must be passed.

Being given an unconditional offer means that based on the current set of circumstances of obtained qualifications they are being told they can attend the course unconditionally.

In other words there are no conditions, they do not have to fail, pass, or complete the current course unless otherwise specified, in which case it would be conditional.
Reply 10
Original post by 01Chris02
Being given an unconditional offer means that based on the current set of circumstances of obtained qualifications they are being told they can attend the course unconditionally.

In other words there are no conditions, they do not have to fail, pass, or complete the current course unless otherwise specified, in which case it would be conditional.

Yes I was saying that (look at the my first post). But if your form says that you are taking a certain qualification and then you drop it, you must inform them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 01Chris02

You don't have to pass the course, but you do have to complete it 0- because you have declared on your UCAS form that you will do so.
Reply 12
Right, let me just explain. I am currently at college, and the unconditional offer is for another course at the same college. I am not applying to UCAS, so therefore the college already know what course I am doing.

Does this clear things up and are you able to provide a better answer based on this new information?
Right, let me just explain. I am currently at college, and the unconditional offer is for another course at the same college. I am not applying to UCAS, so therefore the college already know what course I am doing.

Does this clear things up and are you able to provide a better answer based on this new information?

No UCAS? You'd need to check directly with the college then.
Reply 14

If it is unconditional then it probably shouldn't matter if you fail.

But this isn't UCAS, and I don't know how it works at your college, so I would advise asking the college.
Reply 15
Original post by Zottula
If it is unconditional then it probably shouldn't matter if you fail.

But this isn't UCAS, and I don't know how it works at your college, so I would advise asking the college.

Thanks. I'll ask the college and let you know of the result.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending