The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Level English Literature

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shuhanis
O em geee
I found it soo hard

Did the question about identity (seamus heaney and owen sheers)
And answered the question about class for murmering judges

Flopped really badly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you did much better than you expected... often you'll have done loads of good things without realising. Things like AO2 and A04 are quite easy to get even if your essay sounds a bit off... at least that's what I find.
Reply 21
Original post by Shuhanis
O em geee
I found it soo hard

Did the question about identity (seamus heaney and owen sheers)
And answered the question about class for murmering judges

Flopped really badly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll have done much better than you think! It's pretty easy to pick up points for AO1 and AO2, and even if it wasn't the most eloquently worded essay, you'll still get the marks for making the points.

Seriously, do not stress, it's not worth it. If the worst comes to the worst, then you'll have to resit the exam next summer, when you've got a whole extra year of experience and essay writing skills, having studied much harder texts and studied for a closed text exam. If you end up having to resit, you'll be absolutely fine.
Did anyone study Larkin and Abse for their poems? If so, how did you find it and did you pick the relationship question?
Reply 23
I did Identity for Heaney and Sheers, which I was really happy with, and loss for Kindertransport, although I thought that they picked an odd extract for it.

I also managed to somehow miss writing a question number for the Kindertransport question. I did write the title above the essay though, so does anyone know if it matters? I was worrying about it all afternoon. Thanks :smile:
I thought the exam was reasonable. Still really hard.

Anyone do Duffy and Pugh? - I did a question on how they use first person narrators and I used Dear Norman, Boy and Owl Nights thought to show that they use First Person Narrators imagination to overcome the monotony of life.

Kindertransport - I did the effects of 1930s/40s, this was basically a trauma question. The extract was quite good and I chose to link it to the begging of the play to show how these 1930s/40s events are causing trauma.

I just think I might have ended up drifting to much and not focusing on the question :/
Reply 25
Original post by Michaelfromwales
I thought the exam was reasonable. Still really hard.

Anyone do Duffy and Pugh? - I did a question on how they use first person narrators and I used Dear Norman, Boy and Owl Nights thought to show that they use First Person Narrators imagination to overcome the monotony of life.

Kindertransport - I did the effects of 1930s/40s, this was basically a trauma question. The extract was quite good and I chose to link it to the begging of the play to show how these 1930s/40s events are causing trauma.

I just think I might have ended up drifting to much and not focusing on the question :/

Yep, I did Duffy and Pugh. Instead I opted for men and women relationships. I used 'Standing Female Nude' and 'Mrs Aesop' with Pugh's 'The haggard and the falconer' to show Duffy's common theme of women's independence and how men are essentially futile to the narrators.

I did Arthur Miller's Broken Glass - the presentation of prejudice and used a considerable amount of context to show how the protagonist is affected by his context and how this helps both Miller's plot and theme.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Paparazzo
I think it was OK. Not perfect but not too bad.

I did Plath/Hughes and Miller 'Broken Glass'.

For Plath I did the question on family and for Miller I did the question of prejudice.

What points did you make for prejudice? I found it hard to think of many - I said it is used in scene 4 to create and odd relationship and thus add suspense as we see Case add in little stereotypical remarks e.g. 'the point could probably do with more of you people'. Then for scene 9 I just mentioned the fact anti-Semitism was so rife during the 1938's Gellburg is affected and assumes everyone hates him, hence his 'explosion'.
Original post by Selym95
What points did you make for prejudice? I found it hard to think of many - I said it is used in scene 4 to create and odd relationship and thus add suspense as we see Case add in little stereotypical remarks e.g. 'the point could probably do with more of you people'. Then for scene 9 I just mentioned the fact anti-Semitism was so rife during the 1938's Gellburg is affected and assumes everyone hates him, hence his 'explosion'.

I said that Gellburg had caught wind of Case's subtle racism, like when he refers to Jews as "you people" earlier in the play. I thought the quotation was quite horrible as there was nothing for prejudice and sexism against women, which is quite a big chunk of prejudice in the play.
Reply 28
Original post by Stanners95
I said that Gellburg had caught wind of Case's subtle racism, like when he refers to Jews as "you people" earlier in the play. I thought the quotation was quite horrible as there was nothing for prejudice and sexism against women, which is quite a big chunk of prejudice in the play.

What do you mean by the quotation?
Original post by Selym95
What do you mean by the quotation?

Sorry, i meant passage :tongue:
Any tips for AS English Literature? just started it :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending