The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
On multiple choice question there was a question which asked what would happen to the conc. of RuBP and GP if the availability of CO2 decreased? I said RuBP would decrease and GP would increase as this was the answer to the same question in a past paper but I am unsure If its correct, what did u guys put??
RuBP would accumulate, GP would decrease... That's what I got.
Although I'm not sure if it's right either
yep didn't CO2 decrease?

so less RUBP would be able to be made into GP, while GP was still being made into RUBP so GP = Decrease and RUBP accumulates
I know its been asked a million times, but does anyone at all have access to the paper? driving myself up the wall
Christ, Looking at the answers on this I've barely scraped a D.
The answer to that multiple choice question about RuBP and Gp was D , RuBp increase and Gp decrease
Reply 386
Original post by JackoGeddes
weird question, had an answer along those lines. something like it had been split up by human blood clotting gene and wouldn't be coded for

Thabks, saying that the gene was switched off has put me in doubt
Can anyone remember the question on marman grasses or something? I hate how they had to overcomplicate everything.

anyway, for that question it asked why it was good the leaves uncurled when it was moist in the second bit

I said something about It would be able to increase uptake of CO2 for increased photosynthesis as RUBP requires co2 to make GP in the calvin cycle
Reply 388
Can anyone remember the question on marman grasses or something? I hate how they had to overcomplicate everything.

anyway, for that question it asked why it was good the leaves uncurled when it was moist in the second bit

I said something about It would be able to increase uptake of CO2 for increased photosynthesis as RUBP requires co2 to make GP in the calvin cycle

I said a greater surface area was exposed to absorb light for photosynthesis

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 389

I said increased surface water to maximise water uptake for photosynthesis. Which is different to you and the person above :lol:
I remember in one of the past papers the disadvantage of xerophytes in that they have few stomata rolled leaves etc was a reduced co2 uptake, but your water absorption one sounds about right. hmm, bloody worse paper in the world.. was sure i'd get an A and now I feel on the edge of a B, do you think they'll lower it a deal?
Reply 391
Yeah it said the advantage of it being curled which was decreased air movements and increased humidity decreases transpiration rate but the second bit said whats the advantage for photosynthesis when they uncurl in moist conditions so if it's photosynthesis it can probably either be light/co2

Original post by rc16
Yeah it said the advantage of it being curled which was decreased air movements and increased humidity decreases transpiration rate but the second bit said whats the advantage for photosynthesis when they uncurl in moist conditions so if it's photosynthesis it can probably either be light/co2

thats good, the first bit i wrote reduced air movements caused reduced wind spind causing reduced transpiration so I should get the marks, hopefully in the other bit too.

god i hope they drop the marks a bit! think a B is safe though.
Reply 393
Original post by rc16

In geography (cross curricular init) we learned that plants curl their leaves to reduce water loss. God knows how right it is in biology but we also got taught it in biology so meh. I think that can be an answer to part a as well.
Reply 394
What was the answer to the allele question. I put RR at the top, bb at the bottom. And then rr at the top of the other side and BB below.
Reply 395
Could you not argue that curling of leaves reduces the surface area of the leaf exposed to sunlight etc and this would also reduce the transpiration rate
Reply 396
Original post by rich7gers
Could you not argue that curling of leaves reduces the surface area of the leaf exposed to sunlight etc and this would also reduce the transpiration rate

I think you could argue a lot of things for that question, it just depends on what the sqa have decided on :lol:
Reply 397
Original post by AviG123
What was the answer to the allele question. I put RR at the top, bb at the bottom. And then rr at the top of the other side and BB below.

That's what I put aswell. Can't be anything else
What was the answer to the questions about xerophyte adaptations? Like the 2 you had to describe
Original post by john51
I said light intensity

Do yeast cells take in CO2 and give out O2? Or the opposite way about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending