The Student Room Group

Betting Discussion (Mark II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Nerd2
I'm hoping the fact that I haven't yet selected Man Utd, Chelsea or Tottenham, might put at a slight advantage.

I always try to leave a few good teams till the end, but the fact is that the game boils down to luck. You just need to hope that in a week where you have chosen a team like Norwich, at least 1 of the bigger teams slips up and puts a good number of people out.

The chances of winning it are slim and I would never claim to have won it because of my careful analysis. For example, I had Wigan in the week they beat Reading 3-2 in the last minute.
Reply 41
Original post by pane123
I always try to leave a few good teams till the end, but the fact is that the game boils down to luck. You just need to hope that in a week where you have chosen a team like Norwich, at least 1 of the bigger teams slips up and puts a good number of people out.

The chances of winning it are slim and I would never claim to have won it because of my careful analysis. For example, I had Wigan in the week they beat Reading 3-2 in the last minute.

Its coming up to the end of the season now, so does it rollover to next season or something? I would hate it if ends after the last few games of the season, I would hate to share £500 with 150 or so people.
Reply 42
Original post by Nerd2
Its coming up to the end of the season now, so does it rollover to next season or something? I would hate it if ends after the last few games of the season, I would hate to share £500 with 150 or so people.

It rolls over. Just make sure you don't forget about it when the new season starts :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by pane123
It rolls over. Just make sure you don't forget about it when the new season starts :smile:

Yeah I'll make sure to put it on my calender. I actually forgot about it in week 2, so they automatically picked Arsenal (first team alphabetically, that I hadn't already picked), luckily they won that game, although I was going to pick them anyway, had I not forgotten.
Original post by Nerd2
Yeah I'll make sure to put it on my calender. I actually forgot about it in week 2, so they automatically picked Arsenal (first team alphabetically, that I hadn't already picked), luckily they won that game, although I was going to pick them anyway, had I not forgotten.

Imagine they start from the bottom and picked W = Wigan,lol.
Reply 45
Tigers and white sox in, another 2 underdogs in. Really think this is the way to go with baseball.
Reply 46
Hmmm Halep off to a flyer.
Reply 47
Original post by ..DT..

Serena is going to destroy her!
Original post by ..DT..

Original post by Nerd2

Serena has destroyed her XD Might be worth finding some good odds on her winning Rolland-Garros. Free money really.
Reply 49
Original post by jackf1337
Serena has destroyed her XD Might be worth finding some good odds on her winning Rolland-Garros. Free money really.

I still can't get understand how Jankovic lost yesterday.
Original post by Nerd2
I still can't get understand how Jankovic lost yesterday.

I share your pain bro. I once staked £199.95 on a player who went a set and a double break up. He lost. **** happens man and it's so frustrating and infuriating. I'm not sure how Djokovic lost yesterday either.

This Rome tournament has been quite rich in terms of surprised and it's evident half the players have one eye (if not both) eyes on the Rolland-Garros tournament.
Reply 51
Original post by Nerd2

I did say yesterday that she would smash her. Took serena like 5 games to get fired up then she just out muscled her all the way. I like Eranni to beat Azerenka today, she's looked god awful yesterday.
I think I'm going to bet 3 sets for Azerenka v Errani.

Errani is at home so I'd expect her to not lose in straight sets, Azarenka can be unpredictable and I'm not even sure if she'll win so I'm putting this down to 3 sets.

Worth noting that Azarenka has never dropped a set v Errani (at least in the last 4 years) but I think Errani will be fresh considering she didn't play yesterday and Azarenka struggled.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Hmmm she beat errani 6-1 6-2 last year at this tournament. Maybe I change my prediction :biggrin:

As a side note errani must be laughing, played 5 sets of tennis, only had to actually beat 1 person and has recieved semi final payouts minimum lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ..DT..
Hmmm she beat errani 6-1 6-2 last year at this tournament. Maybe I change my prediction :biggrin:

The more I think about it, the less I want to bet on this game. Azarenka has 4 comfortable victories v Errani. It's just the fact Errani is at home and had a day off... Maybe a small stake on Errani set 1, and if that comes in, Azarenka match.
Lost big on NZ in the cricket due to not knowing how to hedge it properly.

Total winnings are now 1400.

It was at one point 1650.

Decided to call it a day with the betting, and take the money I have won/
Azarenka breaks immediately. This is over already.
Reply 57
This is gonna be a quick one I think. Tempted to jump on 6-0 Azarenka first set.

5/1 on it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ..DT..
This is gonna be a quick one I think. Tempted to jump on 6-0 Azarenka first set.

5/1 on it.

2 points in the first 3 games. Good call, on it too.
Reply 59
Go away rain, want Azarenka to keep rolling.

Quick Reply

Latest