The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Film Studies exam help!

Hi, I need help with the sections we are studying for this exam!
We are doing documentaries, gender and world cinema on empowering women.

I think I'm okay with gender but I am really struggling with documentaries, we are doing catfish, paradise lost and united 93. What sort of things do I need to know and write about???
We have also only started going through world cinema but if anyone has any info on that too it would be a great help. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by kcw18
Hi, I need help with the sections we are studying for this exam!
We are doing documentaries, gender and world cinema on empowering women.

I think I'm okay with gender but I am really struggling with documentaries, we are doing catfish, paradise lost and united 93. What sort of things do I need to know and write about???
We have also only started going through world cinema but if anyone has any info on that too it would be a great help. :smile:

I'm doing the Spectatorship and Documentary section, so I can only give you some tips on that, not the others.

Things you should revise are the genre's of documentary, e.g: expository, interactive, observational etc. All of the past paper questions mention stuff about viewers experience, so I'd watch your documentaries and think how is the viewer affected? Is their opinion manipulated or changed, what effect does the documentary have on the viewer? Also you should revise the techniques that the filmmakers use to have an influence on the audience. Past paper questions will usually ask about realism and trust. How far is the filmmaker trusted? Does his/her on-screen persona guide the narrative and act as a catalyst for the events happening in the documentary?

Out of your three documentaries, I've only seen Catfish. I think what you could mention about that is the gradual, progressive build up, it keeps the audience interested and wanting more, until it reaches the climax of the film and all is revealed. Also the fact that Nev is really 'down to earth', we trust him as a person, therefore we are more inclined to believe him in terms of realism.

Further tips: Make sure you know the directors and years that the films were made - If the examiner sees that you're unsure about your focus films, then it won't be a happy sight! Remember to analyse some important scenes within each of your films, using film language such as cinematography, mise-en-scene etc. Keep referring back to your question and don't go off topic! Also don't be scared to google to find more revision resources, do further reading (especially for section C)

GOOD LUCK :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thankyou so much! I have done extra work on this section but your post has helped in breaking it all down so I know what my essay should include :smile: I feel much more confident but I would have preferred doing something other than documentaries and spectatorship how are you finding it?

Good luck for your exam too!
Reply 3
Original post by kcw18
Thankyou so much! I have done extra work on this section but your post has helped in breaking it all down so I know what my essay should include :smile: I feel much more confident but I would have preferred doing something other than documentaries and spectatorship how are you finding it?

Good luck for your exam too!

Sorry, I didn't see that you'd replied because you didn't quote me :-)
I haven't really revised at all yet, it will be last minute because I've been focusing on my maths exams. I've already got a B in this exam, so it will be a resit for me - in hope to get an A! :biggrin:

Have you tried looking at the spec?
http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/9151.pdf
It'll give you info on how it's marked, and what each objective is etc. Also Section A and B are both worth 35 each, and Section C (The critical study on one film) is only worth 30! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending