The Student Room Group

Help, I feel so depressed about my chemistry situation?!

Okay, I honestly feel like I have no one to turn to anymore, I hope at least one person reads this...

So I'm doing A Level Chemistry, and I sat both AS and A2 ISA's recently. I got the grades from my teachers and I got really low grades for both. I calculated that I'd need to get really high on my exams to get an A overall (which I don't think I can). I seriously don't know what happened.

I want to get an A overall and am predicted an A and I need that A for my medicine uni offer. But I know that now I won't be able to with my ISA grades.

I feel so depressed, even almost suicidal, I feel like my life is over - there's so much stress from my parents to get an A. They think I'm going to be a doctor but they have no idea what's happened...

I know that even if I get a B not only will I miss my offer but I won't be able to get into medicine at all even if I resit those ISAs to get an A next year, because obviously medicine don't accept resit applicants.

Help!!! I honestly feel like I'm stuck, my dream is over, I'm going to be miserable for the rest of my life.......

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
x

First off, if you could theoretically get an A go for it. :smile:
Secondly, though I'm not an expert, but isn't there something where you do a biomedical degree (or something similar) then a medical conversion later on? :smile:

EDIT: Not sure why I've been negged, but hey ho.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
First off you could theoretically get an A go for it. :smile:
Secondly, though I'm not an expert, but isn't there something where you do a biomedical degree (or something similar) then a medical conversion later on? :smile:

Yeah I could do do that and then enter Graduate medicine.. but I feel like that would take so loooong :frown:
Talk to your teachers about it, tell them that you need an A and whether there is anything you can do.
Okay, I honestly feel like I have no one to turn to anymore, I hope at least one person reads this...

So I'm doing A Level Chemistry, and I sat both AS and A2 ISA's recently. I got the grades from my teachers and I got really low grades for both. I calculated that I'd need to get really high on my exams to get an A overall (which I don't think I can). I seriously don't know what happened.

I want to get an A overall and am predicted an A and I need that A for my medicine uni offer. But I know that now I won't be able to with my ISA grades.

I feel so depressed, even almost suicidal, I feel like my life is over - there's so much stress from my parents to get an A. They think I'm going to be a doctor but they have no idea what's happened...

I know that even if I get a B not only will I miss my offer but I won't be able to get into medicine at all even if I resit those ISAs to get an A next year, because obviously medicine don't accept resit applicants.

Help!!! I honestly feel like I'm stuck, my dream is over, I'm going to be miserable for the rest of my life.......

I'm in the same situation as you, I also need an A for chemistry to reach my engineering offer. The only way for me to get an A is by achieving at least 86% in my final chemistry exam which will also be the hardest.
I think the only thing we can do is work out hardest. For both of us achieving an A is hard, but not impossible so we can at least give it our all.

Also how much do you need for an A?
Original post by eggfriedrice
I'm in the same situation as you, I also need an A for chemistry to reach my engineering offer. The only way for me to get an A is by achieving at least 86% in my final chemistry exam which will also be the hardest.
I think the only thing we can do is work out hardest. For both of us achieving an A is hard, but not impossible so we can at least give it our all.

Also how much do you need for an A?

You're in a lot better situation than I am, I can only afford to lose 5 UMS marks in my next exam to get an overall A!!! Bahaha! So in other words it's impossible!

Wow, I can't believe this is happening to me... Stupid practicals...
Reply 6
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112295&page=42&p=39934729&highlight=#post39934729

what you've written on this thread, doesn't correspond with your current situation, seeing as you are on a gap year with AAA already :/
Reply 7
You're in a lot better situation than I am, I can only afford to lose 5 UMS marks in my next exam to get an overall A!!! Bahaha! So in other words it's impossible!

retake AS papers -you can easily get 90+ UMS :smile:

Wow ouch :/ I got borderline B in my practicals I think. But yeah I think they're a stupid way of testing. Especially since the majority of people cheat.

Yeah 5 UMS is crazy. :|
Reply 9
Wow ouch :/ I got borderline B in my practicals I think. But yeah I think they're a stupid way of testing. Especially since the majority of people cheat.

Yeah 5 UMS is crazy. :|

did an EMPA last year- its externally marked, teaching don't see the paper -an A was like 75% unlike ISA where its 90% for an A. I think practicals should be externally marked and everyone does it on the same day so no cheating (and schools told at the start of the year when it is so they have time/no excuse why they aren't able to have the equipment ready)
Original post by MedMed12
did an EMPA last year- its externally marked, teaching don't see the paper -an A was like 75% unlike ISA where its 90% for an A. I think practicals should be externally marked and everyone does it on the same day so no cheating (and schools told at the start of the year when it is so they have time/no excuse why they aren't able to have the equipment ready)

Internally or externally marked isn't the problem. It's the fact that we do it in classes, so if I had a class on Monday, and my friend has theirs on Wednesday, I could tell them what questions to revise as well as answers.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112295&page=42&p=39934729&highlight=#post39934729

what you've written on this thread, doesn't correspond with your current situation, seeing as you are on a gap year with AAA already :/

Yupp I'm planning on taking a gap year, I wrote what I am planning to do, but I assumed that I'd get an A back then, I was so confident I would get an A in chemistry because that was before I got my ISA results
Reply 12
Internally or externally marked isn't the problem. It's the fact that we do it in classes, so if I had a class on Monday, and my friend has theirs on Wednesday, I could tell them what questions to revise as well as answers.

well yeah thats why everyone should do it the same day to prevent this. Some schools teachers tell them the answers and one or two I've heard photocopy the markschemes for students to look at.
Reply 13
Yupp I'm planning on taking a gap year, I wrote what I am planning to do, but I assumed that I'd get an A back then, I was so confident I would get an A in chemistry because that was before I got my ISA results

so you got a U at AS, but were really confident you'd be able to get an A. Wow I wish I had confidence like that!

Just focus on aceing any AS results- you could get 90%+ in them. Then good As in your A2 and that'll compensate. Like I said, I know people with an E in the practical and an A overall because they did well in AS papers so it compensated, at AS the difference between an A and an E is about 20 approx UMS for the practical, so if an A is 80/100 and for unit 2 112/140 like it is with AQA. You would have to get 90/100 and 125/140 and you'll be in an A, which is definitely manageable.

hang on, so do you have an offer for medicine or not? 9 med schools accept 3rd year resits.
so you got a U at AS, but were really confident you'd be able to get an A. Wow I wish I had confidence like that!

Just focus on aceing any AS results- you could get 90%+ in them. Then good As in your A2 and that'll compensate. Like I said, I know people with an E in the practical and an A overall because they did well in AS papers so it compensated, at AS the difference between an A and an E is about 20 approx UMS for the practical, so if an A is 80/100 and for unit 2 112/140 like it is with AQA. You would have to get 90/100 and 125/140 and you'll be in an A, which is definitely manageable.

hang on, so do you have an offer for medicine or not? 9 med schools accept 3rd year resits.

Yeah I was overconfident I admit :tongue:

but I knew I'd have a tutor and I was ready to try really hard... Also considering I didn't open the book at AS (I had loads of other AS subjects) and now I'm doing past papers I'm getting A's I think I'm doing pretty well. :smile:

9 med schools? Which ones are those? I seriously doubt it?
Reply 15
Yeah I was overconfident I admit :tongue:

but I knew I'd have a tutor and I was ready to try really hard... Also considering I didn't open the book at AS (I had loads of other AS subjects) and now I'm doing past papers I'm getting A's I think I'm doing pretty well. :smile:

9 med schools? Which ones are those? I seriously doubt it?

woahh but chemistry being the core subject for medicine? You should have stuck to 4 AS. nevermind what is done, just focus on these. Ace your AS resits is all I can said.

Its all over the TSR, have a look on the wiki. UEA, Keele, Exeter are three of them, you'll need to check the rest, but i'd do this over summer and focus on your exams now. Also, some places like biomed at st georges offer atransfer into medicine -might be worth looking into.
Reply 16
Do every single chemistry paper for you exam board, are you on AQA by any chance? The papers are similar every year, try to weed to any weak points. Revise said week points and then redo the past papers until you are getting full marks. Don't think about how you can only lose five UMS points, think about trying to gain full marks. Take the exam and then wait till results day, if don't have the grades you require and miss out on your offer, then I'm afraid you're going to have to take the biomedical root and then transfer later on or do a postgrad in medicine. If you are really dedicated to studying it, then you won't care how long it takes. Good luck! Hopefully you'll do fine! :smile:
woahh but chemistry being the core subject for medicine? You should have stuck to 4 AS. nevermind what is done, just focus on these. Ace your AS resits is all I can said.

Its all over the TSR, have a look on the wiki. UEA, Keele, Exeter are three of them, you'll need to check the rest, but i'd do this over summer and focus on your exams now. Also, some places like biomed at st georges offer atransfer into medicine -might be worth looking into.

I know! I wish your advice had come to me before I chose my AS levels. I really should have focussed on chem. I was so naive and arrogant that I could do it all.

Hmmm.. a transfer sounds really good. Will look more into that. Thanks for your posts and advice, it really helped :smile:
Original post by SaFa1237
Do every single chemistry paper for you exam board, are you on AQA by any chance? The papers are similar every year, try to weed to any weak points. Revise said week points and then redo the past papers until you are getting full marks. Don't think about how you can only lose five UMS points, think about trying to gain full marks. Take the exam and then wait till results day, if don't have the grades you require and miss out on your offer, then I'm afraid you're going to have to take the biomedical root and then transfer later on or do a postgrad in medicine. If you are really dedicated to studying it, then you won't care how long it takes. Good luck! Hopefully you'll do fine! :smile:

Yep I'm AQA. Yeah I've done a few past papers I do think they come up with loads of similar questions year in year out. Thanks for that :wink:
Reply 19
I know! I wish your advice had come to me before I chose my AS levels. I really should have focussed on chem. I was so naive and arrogant that I could do it all.

Hmmm.. a transfer sounds really good. Will look more into that. Thanks for your posts and advice, it really helped :smile:

ah dont worry, can only learn from the mistakes and hopefully everything will work out.
At first, I was so against graduate entry but you know what...doing an NHS funded degree and then graduate medicine isn't actually that bad. its 7 years for the two and you only have to pay for the first year of med school fees as the rest is paid by the NHS.
Also, top Unis for nursing for instance ask for much lower than medicine so going to manchester, york, edinburgh for nursing, getting a 1st :2:1 and graduate is definitely possible.
Thats my like 4th back up plan :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest