The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DannyDualscar
for the modern texts exam on monday, my teacher taught me to use PEEA but i've been looking up revision videos and it seems like that's not the case at all!!!! now i'm panicking..... would PEEA still be good to use?

Yes, Point Evidence Explanation Evaluate is what we have been taught
Reply 461
OMAM: Does anyone think George and Lennie (or George/Lennie on their own) could come up? I mean, they're the two main characters and they've only come up once before, so they might, right?
Original post by MajorRisk
Yes, Point Evidence Explanation Evaluate is what we have been taught

thank you!
Reply 463
Original post by tingirl
OMAM: Does anyone think George and Lennie (or George/Lennie on their own) could come up? I mean, they're the two main characters and they've only come up once before, so they might, right?

Yes! I do, Perhaps in the opening paragraph together or when Geroge kills Lennie, what types of questions do you think might come up??
Reply 464
Original post by Ryan075
Sorry, what is the LOTF section?

lord of the flies
Reply 465
Original post by katt123
Yes! I do, Perhaps in the opening paragraph together or when Geroge kills Lennie, what types of questions do you think might come up??

Yep, they seem like possible extracts! At the moment I'm just doing extra revision on George, Lennie, Slim, Curley, Carlson, and maaaaybe a bit on Candy's dog, because I think they're the most likely to come up. And I'll probably look at the themes of loneliness, violence and the American Dream if I have time (I current have no idea what I'll write for part B, if the question's about violence)!
My teacher also told us that a setting question is quite likely (maybe the opening), but I hope that it isn't! I really hate writing about setting :s-smilie:
Reply 466
Monday:
Of Mice and Men & The Crucible

Thursday:
Moon on the Tides: Character & Voice
Section B: Unseen Poetry

Anyone doing the same?
Reply 467
Original post by tingirl
Yep, they seem like possible extracts! At the moment I'm just doing extra revision on George, Lennie, Slim, Curley, Carlson, and maaaaybe a bit on Candy's dog, because I think they're the most likely to come up. And I'll probably look at the themes of loneliness, violence and the American Dream if I have time (I current have no idea what I'll write for part B, if the question's about violence)!
My teacher also told us that a setting question is quite likely (maybe the opening), but I hope that it isn't! I really hate writing about setting :s-smilie:

My teacher suggested that Slim would come up.
Reply 468
Someone PLEASE tell me what actually is evaluating
Reply 469
Original post by Sweaty
Someone PLEASE tell me what actually is evaluating

You find two devices that the writer uses and explain them as you would. Then you say something like: (at the end of the paragraph)

Overall..
I think that X is more important than Y because....
X is more important to the presentation of (the character) because...
The use of these language devices are successful because...
Reply 470
Original post by Ryan075
You find two devices that the writer uses and explain them as you would. Then you say something like: (at the end of the paragraph)

Overall..

Ohh alright thanks
Reply 471
ll

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 472
Original post by ThatGirlx
Do you know what to write for any of them - I have no idea!

For part 'a' you should go through the passage methodically, picking out words about 5-7 times from the start, middle and end. Use PEE analysis for each word you choose, and make sure to link it to the actual question.

For part 'b' you need to have a good general understanding of the novel and some A* ideas about Slim up your sleeve.
Hi guys! Is anyone doing Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls? Any tips for A* and does anyone have any idea on what characters/questions could come up?
Original post by Ryan075

Overall..

If I wrote about the writer's techniques and intentions and its effect on the reader, would this count as evaluating :smile:

P.S I'm also doing of mice and men and the crucible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 475
Original post by tingirl

Yeah :smile: we've been told the opening was very likely as is the scene where Curley's wife dies and this could link to lonliness for partB! But f we get a question on violence which character do you think is most likey to come up? Curley? Lennie?:confused:
Reply 476
Original post by Natalia_14
Hey guys!What do you think will come up?I've done a few sample essays on Curley's wife and how women were treated at that time & a brief analysis on George and Lennie.I didn't do Curley or Crooks as they already came up.And for inspector calls im expecting Mrs.Birling to come up or Eva Smith but I'm not sure?Im retaking this exam because I was 'accidently'put in for foundation as my teacher says,I found it too easy and managed to get a C.So that's why i need to do it again.Life would've been so much easier if she put me in for higher!-.-

Were you put in for foundation in january?
Hi,

Please could someone mark this answer to part a (it took me just under 25 minutes) and is on the character of slim. could someone tell me the mark I would get if i wrote like this for part b.

In the passage, what methods does Steinbeck use to present Slim and the importance of him? Refer closely to the passage in your answer. PASSAGE FROM PAGE 36 'A TALL MAN' TO PAGE 37 'YOU THE NEW GUYS'.

From the extract, Slim is perceived to be an integral character on first insight, through the ways the novelist describes his entrance. The entrance is almost like that of a king as he moved into the bunkhouse ‘with a majesty’ only apparent because of his ‘master craftsmen’. This not only alludes to that he has the status of a prince, but is indicative of that only the best like Slim could survive in a challenging environment like the ranches. Perhaps, Steinbeck employs the character of Slim in the novella so he could reinforce his idea that life was solely on surviving almost like an Animal Kingdom. The Great Depression in 1929 had a huge impact on itinerant workers and forced them to move from ranch to ranch, again connoting the idea that life had almost focused itself on surviving.

Further on, the writer portrays Slim to be almost like a God by adopting adjectives in the novella. Slim is described to be ‘ageless’ and to possess ‘calm, godlike eyes’. This implies that his character is perceptive almost as if his eyes let him have a different view to life on the ranch. The word ‘Godlike’ strengthens his idea that society at the time where America was suffering had all kinds of people of different mental and physical abilities which meant that differences between people were more clear. Also, it lets other characters hold confidence in him later on in the novella similar to how religious people have confidence in God. Perhaps, the writer is endeavoring to imply that he is the perfect ranch worker that all itinerant workers desired to be at the time but was only determined by how people treated you. It could be argued that Crooks has been more influential in the success of the ranch but because of his skin colour he is treated differently. This again impacts on the reader realising the importance of a character like Slim in the novella as the author wanted to convey his message that the character of people was determined through futile features like skin colour etc.

The religious imagery is further employed by the writer where he adds that his hands were as ‘delicate’ as ‘those of a temple dancer’. The word ‘delicate’ has the connotations of him being almost pure of all sins and someone that is thoughtful about every action.

PLEASE COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME A ROUGH MARK OUT OF 30 IF I WAS TO RWITE LIKE THIS ASWELL IN PART B

Thanks in advance
Reply 478
//

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 479
Unit 1, the novel paper, in part 2 (the context one) do you think I should do one big essay question for part i and ii or 2 small ones? My teacher says that higher mark students are expected to link it together, especially because apparently both parts are marked as one, but I prefer doing it in 2 halves. What do you think I should do? Really need that A*...:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending