The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uswa
Unit 1, the novel paper, in part 2 (the context one) do you think I should do one big essay question for part i and ii or 2 small ones? My teacher says that higher mark students are expected to link it together, especially because apparently both parts are marked as one, but I prefer doing it in 2 halves. What do you think I should do? Really need that A*...:confused:

I would recommend that you do it in parts as you can structure your answer with ease instead of panicking if you have linked par b into part a. You can still definitely get that A*

Hope this helps
Reply 481
how do you structure your answer for the of mice and men for part a and b?
Reply 482
Original post by HASSANATOR
I would recommend that you do it in parts as you can structure your answer with ease instead of panicking if you have linked par b into part a. You can still definitely get that A*

Hope this helps

Yeah your right, and if I do it as one, I may end up talking more on one than another. Okay thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Uswa
Unit 1, the novel paper, in part 2 (the context one) do you think I should do one big essay question for part i and ii or 2 small ones? My teacher says that higher mark students are expected to link it together, especially because apparently both parts are marked as one, but I prefer doing it in 2 halves. What do you think I should do? Really need that A*...:confused:

The two questions usually relate to each other, and are based around a character or theme, and therefore after you've done Part 1 just go straight into Part 2 with a new introduction. Timing wise, I'm splitting my time by doing 30 minutes on the Section A question (An Inspector Calls for me), 15 minutes on the first part of Section B and then 30 minutes on the second part of Section B.
Original post by emers1
Does anyone have any notes on the structure for The Crucible? I'm stumped..
Happy to give advice on other points on the Crucible though :smile:

Here's some information on structure :smile: -

The Crucible is a tragedy- the story ends with the suffering of death of a major character (in this case John Proctor)

The death of the character is caused by a flaw in their personality

The story is tragic since Proctor is a likeable character so this makes his death more tragic

Some of the characters change and some don't:

Parris is selfish and egocentric both at the beginning and the end (he wants Proctor to confess to save his own reputation, not his soul)

Danforth is driven by the desire to protect his reputation- in Act 3, he's glad that he has condemned people to hang but in Act 4, although he's beginning to believe that the prisoners may actually be innocent, he refuses to pardon them since he feels that this would be a sign of weakness.

Abigail is ruthless from the beginning to the end since she tries to destroy the Proctors' marriage, tries to get vengeance on others and does not show any guilt during the process.

Proctor is guilty about his affair and unable to forgive himself, but later on at the end, he manages to see a "shred of goodness" in him.

The different acts develop tension.

In Act 1, Tituba exits the stage with Parris shouting at her as she is a scapegoat for all the hysteria as she is defenceless (this reveals her character).

In Act 3, tension is built since Abigail and Elizabth Proctor never actally communicate directly with each other, which increases their feelings of dislike.

In Act 2, Hale arrives at the Proctors' house alone which symbolises change as he may think that the trials have gone too far.

The pace of the play is relentless-

No scene changes between acts to interrupt the audiences attention

Only a week has passed between act 1 and act 2 but 3 months have passed between acts 3 and act 4, which creates a feeling of doom as nothing much has changed.

Changes at the start and ending of each act:

There is a contrast between the suspense of the opening and the emotion and action of the climax at the end of each act so the audience doesn't become tired of the drama

Each act slowly builds up tension so the audience remains captivated as the hysteria could break out at any time

I hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 485
Hi,

Please could someone mark this answer to part a (it took me just under 25 minutes) and is on the character of slim. could someone tell me the mark I would get if i wrote like this for part b.

In the passage, what methods does Steinbeck use to present Slim and the importance of him? Refer closely to the passage in your answer. PASSAGE FROM PAGE 36 'A TALL MAN' TO PAGE 37 'YOU THE NEW GUYS'.

From the extract, Slim is perceived to be an integral character on first insight, through the ways the novelist describes his entrance. The entrance is almost like that of a king as he moved into the bunkhouse ‘with a majesty’ only apparent because of his ‘master craftsmen’. This not only alludes to that he has the status of a prince, but is indicative of that only the best like Slim could survive in a challenging environment like the ranches. Perhaps, Steinbeck employs the character of Slim in the novella so he could reinforce his idea that life was solely on surviving almost like an Animal Kingdom. The Great Depression in 1929 had a huge impact on itinerant workers and forced them to move from ranch to ranch, again connoting the idea that life had almost focused itself on surviving.

Further on, the writer portrays Slim to be almost like a God by adopting adjectives in the novella. Slim is described to be ‘ageless’ and to possess ‘calm, godlike eyes’. This implies that his character is perceptive almost as if his eyes let him have a different view to life on the ranch. The word ‘Godlike’ strengthens his idea that society at the time where America was suffering had all kinds of people of different mental and physical abilities which meant that differences between people were more clear. Also, it lets other characters hold confidence in him later on in the novella similar to how religious people have confidence in God. Perhaps, the writer is endeavoring to imply that he is the perfect ranch worker that all itinerant workers desired to be at the time but was only determined by how people treated you. It could be argued that Crooks has been more influential in the success of the ranch but because of his skin colour he is treated differently. This again impacts on the reader realising the importance of a character like Slim in the novella as the author wanted to convey his message that the character of people was determined through futile features like skin colour etc.

The religious imagery is further employed by the writer where he adds that his hands were as ‘delicate’ as ‘those of a temple dancer’. The word ‘delicate’ has the connotations of him being almost pure of all sins and someone that is thoughtful about every action.

PLEASE COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME A ROUGH MARK OUT OF 30 IF I WAS TO RWITE LIKE THIS ASWELL IN PART B

Thanks in advance

im not going to give you a mark but i will give you a few suggestions:

- you used double interpretations.... so write another connotation to the words...is... //instead of saying it once and then saying prehaps...its isnt explicit
- write more // lol
- the first papragraph contained a lot of waffle (in my eyes) ... you didnt get straight to the point... if it was an introduction fine its ok but you built on it (if it was...although i dont think it was)
- the second paragraph was fine... i just wrote down your idea hehe lol :P
- i think there are only 4 compound sentences on context.. beef it up man lol

i know i probably will do the same as you though lol

but i think the ideas are good...
have you looked at the mark scheme??

ryan
Anyone got any ideas for the context of Slim? And about Fate?
Reply 487
oh

has anyone got any good quotes that link into context for each character for OMAM???

this will help like everyone in part B

ryan
Reply 488
Original post by JustaDreamer
Other way round :smile:

Argh, I've got two chemistry and two physics papers on the same day of both English literature exams! D: #Stressed
Thanks btw x
Reply 489
What is everyone expecting to come up in "an inspector calls" and does anyone know of any websites or books that go into DETAILED character or theme analysis - i've lost my class notes and the revision guides basically just recap the texts. I basically really need some A* ideas about "of mice and men" and "an inspector calls", If anyone has any i would be very grateful :smile:
Reply 490
Original post by Joe7
The two questions usually relate to each other, and are based around a character or theme, and therefore after you've done Part 1 just go straight into Part 2 with a new introduction. Timing wise, I'm splitting my time by doing 30 minutes on the Section A question (An Inspector Calls for me), 15 minutes on the first part of Section B and then 30 minutes on the second part of Section B.

I'm doing 'An inspector calls' too, do you have any idea of which character/ or question could come up? I think it could be Eric- do you have any good quotes for him? thanks
Original post by ryanb97
im not going to give you a mark but i will give you a few suggestions:

- you used double interpretations.... so write another connotation to the words...is... //instead of saying it once and then saying prehaps...its isnt explicit
- write more // lol
- the first papragraph contained a lot of waffle (in my eyes) ... you didnt get straight to the point... if it was an introduction fine its ok but you built on it (if it was...although i dont think it was)
- the second paragraph was fine... i just wrote down your idea hehe lol :P
- i think there are only 4 compound sentences on context.. beef it up man lol

i know i probably will do the same as you though lol

but i think the ideas are good...
have you looked at the mark scheme??

ryan

Thanks for you input,

in the actual exam i will inevitably write more but just wanted to know about the quality. Also, how could i link slim to context and what do you think will come up in the exam.

Cheers
Reply 492
Original post by ryanb97
oh

has anyone got any good quotes that link into context for each character for OMAM???

this will help like everyone in part B

ryan

You can find quotes for the american dream and general prejudice here ;http://www.shmoop.com/of-mice-and-men/visions-of-america-quotes.html

Hope this helps x
Reply 493
Original post by NinjaPandaa
me!:woo:

Do you have any advice on how to revise for it? Are you learning quotes and analysis points before the exam or you just gonna find then as you go along in the exam.. Im so worried.
Original post by cycahm
Were you put in for foundation in january?

Yeahh -.-
Reply 495
Thanks for you input,

in the actual exam i will inevitably write more but just wanted to know about the quality. Also, how could i link slim to context and what do you think will come up in the exam.

Cheers

slim - ermm.. compare him to the boss.. say the different attitudes on the depression on all
the boss = mean questining ... slim = happy - 'why dont all men go round together' (something like that)

ermm

then you could write about slims confidence as he is the only one that talks to CW properrly - 'hi good lookin' '
this emphasises his power/confidece....or that he did have an affair..then link to CW and her as a sex object

hope that helps

oh and here are a few links for youtube videos that are really good

http://wscenglishresources.blogspot.com.au/

by far the best website ^^ provides videos for a few things
i learnt all of poetry by this guy..so i should give him respect for that

ryan
Reply 496
ll
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 497
How on earth do I structure section B? Do you mix part a and b together or separately?
Reply 498
Original post by gomg
How on earth do I structure section B? Do you mix part a and b together or separately?

Why would they be mixed? :confused:
Does anyone have a copy of the January 2013 paper? If not, could anyone tell me the questions for The Crucible and To Kill a Mockingbird (with the passage page numbers)? Thank you so much!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending