The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Changing engineering courses during the year

I've applied to do civil engineering in September however I am having some doubts whether this degree is worth it. I definitely am interested in engineering and civil also seems like the best for me since structures is what I'm most interested in, however from a lot of the research I've done, civil engineering doesn't seem to be the most secure job plus the amount of work you do for the amount you're paid doesn't match up.

So if I started the course in September, and decided I wanted to change to mechanical for example, would it be possible?
Original post by eggfriedrice
I've applied to do civil engineering in September however I am having some doubts whether this degree is worth it. I definitely am interested in engineering and civil also seems like the best for me since structures is what I'm most interested in, however from a lot of the research I've done, civil engineering doesn't seem to be the most secure job plus the amount of work you do for the amount you're paid doesn't match up.

So if I started the course in September, and decided I wanted to change to mechanical for example, would it be possible?

Fellow engineer applicant here - albeit Aero.

First, you should probably ring up the uni you're planning to go to and see whether they accommodate this sort of change or not.

Does your uni follow a 'stream' approach with modules? If so, you may be able to pick the mechanical modules and graduate with a degree in mechanical.
(edited 10 years ago)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

I'm a current engineering student. It is definitely possible to switch between engineering degrees, I know a few guys at bath that have switched between mech and electrical and vice versa so I doubt going between civil and mech will be much of a problem. Not sure if they'd allow it before you start the course, but I know of people that have done it a week or two into their course here. The thing is changing modules or even degrees is a lot easier once you are actually a student of the university because basically it's up to the discretion of the lecturers, rather than it being decided on a more formal level like it is through ucas.
Reply 3
Original post by 3 Phase Duck
I'm a current engineering student. It is definitely possible to switch between engineering degrees, I know a few guys at bath that have switched between mech and electrical and vice versa so I doubt going between civil and mech will be much of a problem. Not sure if they'd allow it before you start the course, but I know of people that have done it a week or two into their course here. The thing is changing modules or even degrees is a lot easier once you are actually a student of the university because basically it's up to the discretion of the lecturers, rather than it being decided on a more formal level like it is through ucas.

Thanks very much for the reply (: I definitely plan on starting the course before I make any decisions.
Can I ask which engineering degree you are studying? Also how do you feel about studying engineering at Bath, the general teaching style and university life etc?
Thanks very much for the reply (: I definitely plan on starting the course before I make any decisions.
Can I ask which engineering degree you are studying? Also how do you feel about studying engineering at Bath, the general teaching style and university life etc?

I study electronic and electrical eng. The teaching is great, well at least in the mech eng and elec eng departments which share lecturers and modules. I've never had a civil eng lecturer, however, I would assume civil eng teaching will be just as good, plus civil eng has a nicer department.

The teaching style is what you would expect at a uni, you're not spoon fed, but there is a huge amount of support if you need it. Also I would highly reccomend making as much use of tutorial time as possible, because this is the time you can ask a lecturer or postgrad for anything you are having difficulty with in the module. Plus it it helps in getting the studying out the way giving you more free time at evenings and weekends.
The reason bath always scores so high on student satisfaction is because you are actively encouraged to let lecutrers know about anything you feel needs changing or any trouble you have with the course and they will go out their way to help you.

As for uni life, yeah bath is great, I suppose the city could do with more student friendly pubs and clubs, but bristol isn't too far away, so can't complain. Also the amount of societies the uni has, you'll never get bored.
Reply 5
Original post by 3 Phase Duck
I study electronic and electrical eng. The teaching is great, well at least in the mech eng and elec eng departments which share lecturers and modules. I've never had a civil eng lecturer, however, I would assume civil eng teaching will be just as good, plus civil eng has a nicer department.

The teaching style is what you would expect at a uni, you're not spoon fed, but there is a huge amount of support if you need it. Also I would highly reccomend making as much use of tutorial time as possible, because this is the time you can ask a lecturer or postgrad for anything you are having difficulty with in the module. Plus it it helps in getting the studying out the way giving you more free time at evenings and weekends.
The reason bath always scores so high on student satisfaction is because you are actively encouraged to let lecutrers know about anything you feel needs changing or any trouble you have with the course and they will go out their way to help you.

As for uni life, yeah bath is great, I suppose the city could do with more student friendly pubs and clubs, but bristol isn't too far away, so can't complain. Also the amount of societies the uni has, you'll never get bored.

It sounds great!

What's the male to female ratio for engineering like?
When I went to Surrey, it was like 3 girls and the rest were guys, but at UCL it was about 40:60.

Also in the accommodation, are you put together with other engineers or is it random?
It sounds great!

What's the male to female ratio for engineering like?
When I went to Surrey, it was like 3 girls and the rest were guys, but at UCL it was about 40:60.

Also in the accommodation, are you put together with other engineers or is it random?

Again not too sure about civil eng but in mech and elec eng it's like 1 girl to every 10 guys give or take a few. But I wouldn't worry about it, everyone seems to get on well enough.

Also yes they do try to accommodate you either in a flat with or at least neighboured with someone on your course, but it's not guaranteed. You're more likely to get someone on your course in your accommodation if you applied early for accommodation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7

Hey, I've firmed Bath for MechEng, we could be in the same course if you do change :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest