The Student Room Group

How do you fill your car up with petrol?

Poll

How do you fill your car up with petrol (or diesel)

Are you a 'Fill it up with £20 each time I can afford it' or are you a 'Run it right down to the red and fill it all the way back up again'?

I personally fill it up fully as it lasts me a month, then fill up right up again when it gets low.

---- (Or diesel, whichever one your car uses)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Generally when it shows I'm on the second to last bar I'll stick £20-£30 in. Unless I'm visiting my boyfriend or something (so do Cambridge - Warwick and back again), in which case I'll fill it just before I leave regardless.
Reply 2
I don't like mine going below half way (Unless I'm doing a long journey) so I usually fill up then. Only time I've had the petrol light come on in the 2 years Iv'e owned the car is when I got it:colondollar:.
I look at the week ahead and put in what I think I'll need. I only put half a tank in at most, I bought into the theory that an extra 20kg from petrol will lower my economy. Think I'm gonna go diesel when I finish my degree, the job I've been offered is a 30 mile round trip each day, plus I do a 200 mile round trip every fortnight.
Reply 4
Depends on my finances. If I can afford to splurge sixty quid on brimming it then I will, but often I can only afford twenty or thirty at a time (or, as things are at the moment, only a tenner :'( )
Reply 5
Fill up. It needs filling up more than once a week, if I don't brim it it means I need to make more fuel stops which is just inconvenient.
Original post by Nuffles
Depends on my finances. If I can afford to splurge sixty quid on brimming it then I will, but often I can only afford twenty or thirty at a time (or, as things are at the moment, only a tenner :'( )

Splurge £60? Mines full at £35!
As my car is nearly 40 years old and it has the original fuel tank I like to keep at least half a tank in to stop crud from the bottom getting sucked through.
I literally go whenever i need it, I pass the petrol station no matter where i go so it's always 'on my way' which is pretty convenient
I don't use it too often because im not at uni till September now, but I'm in a habit of putting £20 when it gets to just around a quarter

When i go back in September i want to start with it full and try top it up every week or 2 weeks depending on how many days im in
Reply 9
I've driven 16 miles with the fuel light flashing. I decided to swing by a petrol station when I noticed some power loss.
I'll plan for the next few days/week ahead as to what I put in the car .. usually about £30 to last the week as I do a 50mile round trip about 5 times each week.

I don't see much point in carrying around the extra weight of excess petrol and I'll run it down to the warning light most of the time .. I'm not the type of person to never let it get below a certain level.
Reply 11
£20 in when I get to the quarter mark.
Reply 12
Fill It up.
Otherwise you're just wasting fuel going to and from fuel stations.

Never understood the mentality of putting 10 quid in here and there. It's not like you're saving money. If anything it's costing you money and time.
wait till the warning light comes on, leave it on the driveway and not drive it again until after a parent has used it and filled it up
Reply 14
Original post by College_Dropout
Splurge £60? Mines full at £35!

My old Morris Minor was like that :frown: Alas, diesel estates have slightly larger fuel tanks. That said, the Land Rover would take over a hundred quid to fill at today's prices so my current car isn't too bad.
When I used a car for regular commuting, I'd fill up at the end of the week on the way home. There was a fuel station on the way home which I would use. At that point, I'd probably have enough fuel to get me home and probably repeat a single journey to uni - just in case I couldn't refuel for any reason.
Fill when it's running out.
Reply 17
Original post by JC.
Fill It up.

Never understood the mentality of putting 10 quid in here and there. It's not like you're saving money. If anything it's costing you money and time.

Same thinking here. Also petrol isn't actually that heavy! 20 litres extra litres is going to make little difference to your mpg.
Wait until I cannot make another journey then fill it up by half.

When I am working again I won't let it get empty so often. But currently I am a poor peniless (soon not to be) student.
Reply 19
Original post by JC.
Fill It up.

Maybe it's because some people can't afford to spend more than that at one time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending