The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by lolface32
Why would they be mixed? :confused:

I have no idea :frown: So I can just do 3/4 points for part a then 3/4 for part b?
Anyone doing the conflict section, lord of the flies and of mice and men?

Did these exams last year and got an A* so if you want some last minute advice, feel free to PM me
Original post by alibland
Do you have any advice on how to revise for it? Are you learning quotes and analysis points before the exam or you just gonna find then as you go along in the exam.. Im so worried.

the thing is I can't see there being much point in remembering quotes

I've basically gone throught the book and named each chapter based on the events that happen it purely so that it's easy for me to remember what happens when
I've then thought about the themes it could be on (class, racism, innocence, mockingbird, courage, growing up etc.) and got ideas of what parts of the book go in each theme

Although I can imagine the question being on something completly different to my suggested themes so I've just made sure I know the book well

What other novel/play are you doing?
Reply 503
I'm feeling confident about An Inspector Calls, not so much TKAMB :l
Of Mice and men & Inspector Calls
- anybody have an idea of what may appear?
Reply 505
Original post by gomg
I have no idea :frown: So I can just do 3/4 points for part a then 3/4 for part b?

The mark scheme says that they are both ONE question. So how you do on the first one can influence the next, they will judge consistency basically. I would say keep it balanced and do at least 20 minutes worth of writing for each. I don't recommend planning, waste of time.
Original post by Andyroo17
can anyone create a question about curley?

How is Curley presented in this passage?
(from "at that moment a young man" to "and his elbows was still bent a little" which is on page 46.

How does Steinbeck use Curley in the rest of the novella to convey attitudes towards the weak at the time the novella is set?
Reply 507
Original post by Olympiad

For An Inspector Calls, I have a strange feeling either Mrs Birling or Eric will come up :s But I'm prepared for whatever is thrown at me!
Reply 508
Original post by Natalia_14
Yeahh -.-

Hahaha, do you know what questions came up for an inspector calls and of mice and men?
Reply 509
The mark scheme says that they are both ONE question. So how you do on the first one can influence the next, they will judge consistency basically. I would say keep it balanced and do at least 20 minutes worth of writing for each. I don't recommend planning, waste of time.

Ok thank you, I never do plans because they are time consuming and I don't keep to them
Reply 510
Original post by BP_Tranquility
If I wrote about the writer's techniques and intentions and its effect on the reader, would this count as evaluating :smile:

P.S I'm also doing of mice and men and the crucible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the questions doesn't talk about a reader, I wouldn't call that response an evaluation. It's certainly a valid point, but not really an evaluation. To be safe, I would call an evaluation a mini-conclusion, one that weighs up which language device or interpretation is more important and then goes on to explain it.

And nice! Best of luck with it :wink:
Reply 511
Original post by indigorain
Does anyone have a copy of the January 2013 paper? If not, could anyone tell me the questions for The Crucible and To Kill a Mockingbird (with the passage page numbers)? Thank you so much!

ryan had one look back on the earlier posts
Reply 512
Original post by gomg
For An Inspector Calls, I have a strange feeling either Mrs Birling or Eric will come up :s But I'm prepared for whatever is thrown at me!

hmmm, what points would you make on Eric?
Reply 513
Original post by Olympiad

AIC: Gerald - Eric - Gender - Generational Conflict
OMAM - Slim - Curley - NaturalWorld

What do you think?? :smile:
I know not many people are doing The Woman in Black, but if anyone would be willing to have a look at a practice essay that I've done could you please let me know? I really want to check that I'm writing the correct kind of things that are required.
Reply 515
i'm doing of mice and men, an inspector calls and then conflict from the anthology
Reply 516
Do we get the confilct poems with us in the exam ?

also what is most likely to come up for :
Confilct poems
Of Mice and Men
The Women In Black?

someone please reply! thanks
For part A of the OMAM question does anyone know how to implement structure into our points cos they only give us a short passage?
Original post by tingirl
OMAM: Does anyone think George and Lennie (or George/Lennie on their own) could come up? I mean, they're the two main characters and they've only come up once before, so they might, right?

Our teaching is betting on it being about a particular theme rather than characters e.g. the american dream, the itinerant worker etc.
Reply 519
hmmm, what points would you make on Eric?

Hmm depends on the question but things like how he is different to his parents, changes most during the play, relationship with his father, drinking habits, lust, guilt etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending