The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by gomg
Ok thank you, I never do plans because they are time consuming and I don't keep to them

Quick note guys: Planning is not a waste of time at all. I never used to do it, but have recently found that some planning is definitely worth doing, even if you write less. It is better to write a little less content that is top band rather than a lot that is middle band.

By planning, I don't mean you HAVE to make a mind map or table etc., it can just be two or three minutes processing your thoughts and writing down these ideas. Be sure to cross this out afterwards, so it doesn't get marked. You may be marked down on SPaG if you forget to cross it out.

I write down a couple of words for planning then cross it out straight away. Perhaps worth a try?

The planning only really needs to be ideas/key themes that are going to support your paragraphs. You then, using your minds, develop these words into sophisticated interpretations.
Reply 521
Original post by jack97
Do we get the confilct poems with us in the exam?

someone please reply! thanks

you get a fresh copy of the anthology
Original post by Peanut247
How is Curley presented in this passage?
(from "at that moment a young man" to "and his elbows was still bent a little" which is on page 46.

How does Steinbeck use Curley in the rest of the novella to convey attitudes towards the weak at the time the novella is set?

I might do that one but what points could you make for the passage so I can use it as a mark scheme? :smile:
This isn't letting me quote people / phone doesn't always work -.-
Thanks to people who answered!

Anybody doing Relationships? Any idea on the poems?
Reply 524
Original post by jack97
Do we get the confilct poems with us in the exam ?

also what is most likely to come up for :
Confilct poems
Of Mice and Men
The Women In Black?

If you have used an anthology book, then you have a blank copy of that in the exam (I DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE THIS FOR YOUR SCHOOL). Therefore, poems from the anthology will come up. I am doing character and voice so can't really help there, sorry.

OMAM: People are speculating that Slim or a theme will come up.

And sorry I didn't study The Women in Black. I am doing the crucible.

Tried to help you as much as I could mate. Sorry if it wasn't good enough!
Original post by Olympiad

I am! Sonnet 116, To His Coy Mistress, Ghazal and Born Yesterday are the most likely I think. :biggrin:
Reply 526

I did the exam in January and the poems which came up were The Farmer's Bride and Hour, so not those two probably
Reply 527
Original post by Ryan075
If you have used an anthology book, then you have a blank copy of that in the exam (I DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE THIS FOR YOUR SCHOOL). Therefore, poems from the anthology will come up. I am doing character and voice so can't really help there, sorry.

OMAM: People are speculating that Slim or a theme will come up.

And sorry I didn't study The Women in Black. I am doing the crucible.

Tried to help you as much as I could mate. Sorry if it wasn't good enough!

thanks, have you got any notes on slim?

**If anyone knows whats likely to come up for conflict or WIB please reply!
Reply 528

It's weird, I actually like writing about the poems in this section :eek:
I am hoping for sonnet 43 or the Farmers Bride, there is A LOT to say there on context as well as covering all the other A0's :rolleyes:
Original post by ryanb97
What are you aiming for?? - im guessing an A*

Have you got any idea of the type of question that might come up??
im thinking Ralph... or the conch.... hbu??

ryan

I'm in yr 12, but yh, I got an A* last year :smile:
the questions we got last year were about death and then about setting, which shocked me a little bit bc I thought we were going to get on specific character and then a theme - but I loved the setting question bc it was a multiple choice (choose either the beach, castle rock or the jungle I think it was) so I was happy with my choice - but Ralph and the conch I think is a pretty good guess I'd say - maybe Jack...
Original post by lolface32
It's weird, I actually like writing about the poems in this section :eek:
I am hoping for sonnet 43 or the Farmers Bride, there is A LOT to say there on context as well as covering all the other A0's :rolleyes:

I didn't think context is applicable in the poetry anthology? And sorry to break it to you Farmer's Bride came up Jan 2013!! :smile:
Reply 531
I did make this bank of quotes for an inspector calls - on the general themes / character development
Be warned some of it was done at 2 am so is ever so slightly strange ...

I loved Manhunt bc there was a lot to talk about structure (in couplets, still hope for them, but Manhunt came up two summers ago, so it probs won't be that and neither will it be Ghazal) I think it might be To His Coy Mistress or one of the sonnets. Maybe Born Yesterday as well....
Original post by iceangel8
I might do that one but what points could you make for the passage so I can use it as a mark scheme? :smile:

How he wears high heeled boots
His appearance
His attitudes to George
His attitudes to Lennie
His body language
His attitudes to L and Gs friendship
Reply 534
Original post by iceangel8
I didn't think context is applicable in the poetry anthology? And sorry to break it to you Farmer's Bride came up Jan 2013!! :smile:

Well that sucks :frown:

And no it is not, but I can explain the poem with the context. I'm sure this should cover A01? If not, I'll just put it in to spice things up :wink:
Ghazal hasn't come up yet though :redface:
Reply 536
Original post by jack97
Do we get the confilct poems with us in the exam ?

also what is most likely to come up for :
Confilct poems
Of Mice and Men
The Women In Black?

You get given a clean anthology in the exam which will have all the poems from all the clusters in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 537
Original post by Peanut247
How he wears high heeled boots
His appearance
His attitudes to George
His attitudes to Lennie
His body language
His attitudes to L and Gs friendship

-Relationship with 'wife' and how she carries HIS name and not hers
-He uses his status, being the bosses son, to compensate for his size. Symbolizing the flaws in the American Capitalist system
Original post by lolface32
Well that sucks :frown:

And no it is not, but I can explain the poem with the context. I'm sure this should cover A01? If not, I'll just put it in to spice things up :wink:

:smile: Yeah well context is AO4 and the mark scheme says it's not awarded for but you could put it in there as long as you're not wasting time I guess.
Reply 539
So who is going to rip there anthology in the exam

i think it will be awkward flicking the pages so im just going to rip it out... hopefully i will do it properly and not rip my required poem in 2 lol

is anyone else???

ryan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending