The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 May 21st 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Melissajwilson
Yeah that's pretty much it! When you answer the fieldwork questions you need to go into LOTS of detail, they want to see that you've actually done the fieldwork yourself, not just read it from a textbook! Include sketches where possible, and remember your spearmans rank number if you used it, and remember to say how you compared it to a table of significance.

Thanks for the rep!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would a disadvantage and advantage of spearmans rank be?
Reply 41
yay, a unit 2 discussion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Would it be alright to learn just one way of data collection, one method of presentation and one method of analysis? We used several of each but I'd like to know whether I actually need to learn several or just one of each in quite a lot of detail. Thank you!
Original post by lucasluke
What would a disadvantage and advantage of spearmans rank be?

Advantages - statistical and scientific so it's reliable, tells us exactly how confident we can be with our data, scatter graphs only show a general trend

Disadvantages - hard to understand, long procedure, gives no explanation as to why the relationship is significant, ignores extremely high or low values

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Melissajwilson
Yeah that's pretty much it! When you answer the fieldwork questions you need to go into LOTS of detail, they want to see that you've actually done the fieldwork yourself, not just read it from a textbook! Include sketches where possible, and remember your spearmans rank number if you used it, and remember to say how you compared it to a table of significance.

Thanks for the rep!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Jade10128
Last two papers have been graphical skills, so may be cartographic or stats I predict
Remember they may ask for a field sketch map, so make sure you can draw your study area and its characteristics! (last time they asked was Jan 2011)

If you have model answers prepared for fieldwork..make SURE you READ the command word of the question..many lose marks on ones such as 'Evaluate' where they just explain and don't justify using advantages/disadvantages

Remember the paper is marked by examiners in sections, don't think anyone will read and mark your entire paper, so be crystal clear when answering the questions especially on describing methodology/primary data collection so they would be able to follow your instructions - they want to know that you actually did this fieldwork and didn't copy from a textbook!

My prediction is physical, but sometimes they change it up. Population is more straight forward, rivers can catch you out more easily with a landform e.g. Jan 2010 labelled sketch of a meander. I'd say revise both equally just incase.

Also, ICT in use for fieldwork has not come up alot/at all, along with specific question on piloting techniques..any more questions ask me, I have sat this paper and looked through many mark schemes/past papers

Good luck everyone!!

Edit seen it above :biggrin:
Original post by Freyaaaaaa
Would it be alright to learn just one way of data collection, one method of presentation and one method of analysis? We used several of each but I'd like to know whether I actually need to learn several or just one of each in quite a lot of detail. Thank you!

Learn one way that you used for data collection, but for presentation learn
atlas maps
base maps
sketch maps
Ordnance Survey maps at a variety of scales
maps with located proportional symbols squares, circles, semi-circles, bars
maps showing movement flow lines, desire lines and trip lines
choropleth, isoline and dot maps.
Graphical Skills
To include at AS use of:
line graphs simple, comparative, compound and divergent
bar graphs simple, comparative, compound and divergent
scatter graphs and use of best fit line
pie charts and proportional divided circles
triangular graphs
radial diagrams
logarithmic scales
dispersion diagrams.

:biggrin:
Reply 46
can someone help, i can never put together a good answer for the 'purpose of your fieldwork enquiry' question.
i was investigating how discharge increases downstream
could someone write a few points i need to include please ?
Reply 47
Original post by Blueray2
Learn one way that you used for data collection, but for presentation learn
atlas maps
base maps
sketch maps
Ordnance Survey maps at a variety of scales
maps with located proportional symbols squares, circles, semi-circles, bars
maps showing movement flow lines, desire lines and trip lines
choropleth, isoline and dot maps.
Graphical Skills
To include at AS use of:
line graphs simple, comparative, compound and divergent
bar graphs simple, comparative, compound and divergent
scatter graphs and use of best fit line
pie charts and proportional divided circles
triangular graphs
radial diagrams
logarithmic scales
dispersion diagrams.

:biggrin:

Thank you! The thing is though, I didn't use all of those techniques for our fieldwork therefore can't learn them all in that context. Would it be alright to just learn how we presented one of our variables on a scattergraph, then for analysis use spearmans rank, then leave it at that?

Of course I am familiar with all the techniques you mentioned, but only for section 1 of the paper. I didn't think they would ask us for more than one of our presentation/analysis techniques in section 2 so surely just to learn one is fine?
Thank you! The thing is though, I didn't use all of those techniques for our fieldwork therefore can't learn them all in that context. Would it be alright to just learn how we presented one of our variables on a scattergraph, then for analysis use spearmans rank, then leave it at that?

Of course I am familiar with all the techniques you mentioned, but only for section 1 of the paper. I didn't think they would ask us for more than one of our presentation/analysis techniques in section 2 so surely just to learn one is fine?

Yeah thats what i'm doing :biggrin:
But just know how the others work :wink: Where did you learn how the others work btw? Link? :smile:
Reply 49
Can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages of spearmnas rank?
Original post by Tazza93
Can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages of spearmnas rank?

It says above :biggrin:

Advantages - statistical and scientific so it's reliable, tells us exactly how confident we can be with our data, scatter graphs only show a general trend

Disadvantages - hard to understand, long procedure, gives no explanation as to why the relationship is significant, ignores extremely high or low values
Original post by Tabby.1.2
can someone help, i can never put together a good answer for the 'purpose of your fieldwork enquiry' question.
i was investigating how discharge increases downstream
could someone write a few points i need to include please ?

The question is basically asking you three things:

What you were investigating/aim

What hypothesis you had

What you thought would happen and why it would happen.

For instance the hypothesis would be that discharge increases down stream which you agree with because there are more tributaries, which means there is a bigger drainage basin and so there is more water.
Original post by ksullivan96
The question is basically asking you three things:

What you were investigating/aim

What hypothesis you had

What you thought would happen and why it would happen.

For instance the hypothesis would be that discharge increases down stream which you agree with because there are more tributaries, which means there is a bigger drainage basin and so there is more water.

Well said :biggrin: What did you do for your field work?
Well said :biggrin: What did you do for your field work?

Thanks :smile:. I'm doing how the Ogmore River changes from source to mouth comparing with the bradshore model. You?
Doing these past papers are tedious, but nothing happens with out them :biggrin:
Reply 55
Yeah thats what i'm doing :biggrin:
But just know how the others work :wink: Where did you learn how the others work btw? Link? :smile:

Ok great!

There's a really good book for the skills papers at AS and A2, it's Collins AQA Geography Units 2 and 4, you can get it from amazon etc. I don't know if you'd have time to get it but if not I'm sure there's plenty online! Maybe try s-cool - I haven't looked for skills but it often has some useful stuff :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
can someone please explain what a GIS is please and how its used :frown:
Ok great!

There's a really good book for the skills papers at AS and A2, it's Collins AQA Geography Units 2 and 4, you can get it from amazon etc. I don't know if you'd have time to get it but if not I'm sure there's plenty online! Maybe try s-cool - I haven't looked for skills but it often has some useful stuff :smile:

Can you take a photo of it and upload it, or email it to me please :biggrin:
Original post by ivanttopass
can someone please explain what a GIS is please and how its used :frown:

I think thats just using online or ict maps :s-smilie:
I've only used the mean as a method of analysing my data? Will this suffice or should I learn something more complex in the hope of getting better marks?
Original post by Whiskerella
I've only used the mean as a method of analysing my data? Will this suffice or should I learn something more complex in the hope of getting better marks?

Ohh no, I would do spearmans rank , but depending on what you did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending