The Student Room Group

Help, I feel so depressed about my chemistry situation?!

Scroll to see replies

Could you somehow put in for a late resit of an easier module to get some UMS from that?
Graduate entry is not the way to go, you're better resitting next year than doing graduate you won't get a student loan for your second degree. You need to work harder than you've ever worked it's not impossible to get full marks. It's not your teacher's fault they just marked what you handed in. You still have a whole month to revise so start working. If you give up hope now you'll never meet your offer.
Reply 22
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Yep I'm AQA. Yeah I've done a few past papers I do think they come up with loads of similar questions year in year out. Thanks for that :wink:

No problem, just make sure you remember all your transition metal colours and I'm sure you'll be fine. :tongue:
Reply 23
If you have enough time, assuming you studied from Nelson Thornes and that you have not already done so, do those exam style questions. Go over them until they are a piece of cake. These questions are basically all the tough ones from the legacy material which make current papers seem like a doddle imo. Go through them even if you have to look at the answers simultaneously. Then focus on new spec past papers. Answers can be found online.
Original post by Hippokrates
Graduate entry is not the way to go, you're better resitting next year than doing graduate you won't get a student loan for your second degree. You need to work harder than you've ever worked it's not impossible to get full marks. It's not your teacher's fault they just marked what you handed in. You still have a whole month to revise so start working. If you give up hope now you'll never meet your offer.

Thanks for the post, but why do you say grad entry isn't the way to go? I understand it's a million times more competitive but as long as there are places I don't see why I shouldn't at least try?

I'd love to resit next year but I'm worried that might narrow down my choices tenfold, so I'd rather not

I am working my ass off currently, but it's hard to keep it going without the comfort that there's still hope for me after those results. That's why I'm on TSR :colondollar:
Original post by MedMed12
ah dont worry, can only learn from the mistakes and hopefully everything will work out.
At first, I was so against graduate entry but you know what...doing an NHS funded degree and then graduate medicine isn't actually that bad. its 7 years for the two and you only have to pay for the first year of med school fees as the rest is paid by the NHS.
Also, top Unis for nursing for instance ask for much lower than medicine so going to manchester, york, edinburgh for nursing, getting a 1st :2:1 and graduate is definitely possible.
Thats my like 4th back up plan :tongue:

Yeah me too at first grad entry wasn't even on my mind... but things went pear-shaped after my ISAs lol..

You applying for med too? :smile: Also what are your other back up plans, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 26
Yeah me too at first grad entry wasn't even on my mind... but things went pear-shaped after my ISAs lol..

You applying for med too? :smile: Also what are your other back up plans, if you don't mind me asking?

aha yeah I have applied
well for now focusing on getting AAA
then access course/transfer
then abroad (got a BB offer)
if not, graduate
I feel the same for maths i got an e in as chemistry aqa i worked hard second yr to get a b overall however i got lazy after chem4 and got a low b in chem5 hence the b anyway without a doubt u can even get full ums if you work hard i mean very hard i came from a grade e in as to almost full ums in chem4 ido all the questions possible and aswell as regurgitation understand d concepts like the bck of ur hand u can do it!!!! just work more n harder then ever n ul do it just a month left :smile: im in a worse situation in maths atm i need like almost full ums in c2-4 as i messed up c1 m1 s1 the easier units i need 100 in c3 4 lol big ask i hvnt even got an a in as maths yet teaching myself whole of maths thus yr but im goin for it !!!!
Reply 28
I found out that I had not achieved all the right grades, because I did 6 As, and had got pretty scared so I rang up lots of unis and tried to find a way around it. I was advised to re-sit my As exams and then take a gap year for work experience the reason being that med schools like doctors that have work experience and because school wouldn't predict me AAA so now I'm trying to get as high marks as I can.

The thing is, say maths core 1, first time I sat the exam I got an E (as a result me being big headed) and then Second time round I got full marks though core 1 is pretty easy but the point is that you've got to aim and prepare yourself for full marks so that if you loose 1 or 2 marks then you're safe. With chemistry unit 4, I aimed for full marks and ( worked for it) so I got an A star in it ( not full marks though coz I made some silly mistakes).

Make sure you are using the right revision techniques as well, for example, when it came to revising my As subjects, I barely did any but when I did, I didn't practice much of past papers and now I give the librarian a hard time trying to photocopy all of the papers for this and that subject... Because even if you know your stuffs, but you can't answer the exam question the way they want without practising papers then you'll end up losing marks.

So don't give up, some people just can't do ISAs (me included) you could just be an exam type person. Obviously you'll have to make sure you understand everything from chemistry (try ticking off the syllabus) and practice every paper you can grab hold of may twice/three times and then be confident (not overconfident). If Everyone else can do it then it's because they put in the effort, even the gifted students, so good luck! :smile: I'm sure you'll do fine, if you put in the work and effort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol iv been feeling down past 3 days cuz of messing up my 3 maths exams each one of them sumthin unfortunate occured :frown:
Original post by Revisionbug
I feel the same for maths i got an e in as chemistry aqa i worked hard second yr to get a b overall however i got lazy after chem4 and got a low b in chem5 hence the b anyway without a doubt u can even get full ums if you work hard i mean very hard i came from a grade e in as to almost full ums in chem4 ido all the questions possible and aswell as regurgitation understand d concepts like the bck of ur hand u can do it!!!! just work more n harder then ever n ul do it just a month left :smile: im in a worse situation in maths atm i need like almost full ums in c2-4 as i messed up c1 m1 s1 the easier units i need 100 in c3 4 lol big ask i hvnt even got an a in as maths yet teaching myself whole of maths thus yr but im goin for it !!!!

Ha wow thanks for that!! Really motivated me :smile:

And good luck!!! :biggrin:
Thanks for the post, but why do you say grad entry isn't the way to go? I understand it's a million times more competitive but as long as there are places I don't see why I shouldn't at least try?

I'd love to resit next year but I'm worried that might narrow down my choices tenfold, so I'd rather not

I am working my ass off currently, but it's hard to keep it going without the comfort that there's still hope for me after those results. That's why I'm on TSR :colondollar:

Because the vast majority of people can't afford it and it takes longer than it would to resit and reapply. Resitting will probably still be less competitve than grad entry. I know someone who resat and got 3 offers.
Reply 32
Because the vast majority of people can't afford it and it takes longer than it would to resit and reapply. Resitting will probably still be less competitve than grad entry. I know someone who resat and got 3 offers.

I agree with resitting first then trying for graduate, but graduate isn't that bad cost wise, its NHS funded for grad (except first year) and if you do an NHS degree prior thats only 1 year of fees in total!
Also, if its what you want to do, then grad is still an option if everything else fails even if its three years longer, because in the long run 3 years is nothing!
aha yeah I have applied
well for now focusing on getting AAA
then access course/transfer
then abroad (got a BB offer)
if not, graduate

Oh you got a BB offer? So that means you can still get in with BB?
(edited 10 years ago)

Seriously? The person who resat, they didn't get get AAA first time, resat then got 3 offers for medicine? What uni was it do you know?
Reply 35
Oh you got a BB offer? So that means you can still get in with BB?

yes BB in Bio and Chem, but as I said its a 3rd back up, as moving away is a BIG commitment for 5 years, but its what I want to do so definitely not complaining :smile:
Reply 36
Seriously? The person who resat, they didn't get get AAA first time, resat then got 3 offers for medicine? What uni was it do you know?

afew of the unis who currently accept resit students may be altering their entry requirements for sept so definitely check if you do consider this.
Also, UEA want A* in one subject
please, for now focus on your exams rather than consider all the back ups-do this over summer!!
yes BB in Bio and Chem, but as I said its a 3rd back up, as moving away is a BIG commitment for 5 years, but its what I want to do so definitely not complaining :smile:

Sorry I'm a bit confused, why are you moving away? So you're going to uni abroad?
Reply 38
Sorry I'm a bit confused, why are you moving away? So you're going to uni abroad?

yes in Europe, BB and that is abroad, so I would have to go abroad to study it. What did you think the BB was for?

My medicine offer here in the UK is AAA.
yes in Europe, BB and that is abroad, so I would have to go abroad to study it. What did you think the BB was for?

My medicine offer here in the UK is AAA.

Oh right I get it. What country is it in the EU? Another option for me would be to apply in France (I'm half french so I speak it) as entry there is easier, but I'm not sure what their requirements are

Quick Reply