The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Archillious
hey the exam on monday,is the topic on comparing the poems"(anologies booklet) or the indepth study of "of mice and men"(or another book )
?i dont have my timetable so it doesnt say what topic the exam on monday is going to be about......:frown:

It's on Of Mice and Men (and another book - I am doing the Crucible).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls on Monday, Character and Voice on Thursday. I'm really worried about them, I'm OK on English Language, but I always seem to run out of ideas on Literature and get a high C or a low B, and I really want an A in English Lit.

Original post by Bradherring
Hi, sorry if it's a bit off topic but I have a question...
In my OMAM novel, they're random unintentional pen marks on the sides of some pages due to general wear...there are also chapter numbers written in pen on the top of each chapter...would this be seen as cheating (marking pages for reference) by an invigilator if they were to flick through my book in the exam?
Thanks

I'm surprised that your school don't hand out exam copies. You may want to find your Head of English before the exam and ask him or her for a clean one, or tell the Head Invigilator and ask them for their opinion.
Reply 582
Original post by jay_em
I'm not sure to be honest, I only mentioned it because I've seen it mentioned by other people a fair bit. Maybe things like Candy's dog?

Do you think it could be Carlson, George or Lennie?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatGirlx
Good luck anyway!

Thank you!You too!:smile:
Original post by jay_em
I'm not sure about Slim. I'd like him to come up, but seeing as he's not a 'traditional' worker- he very much goes against the trend- I don't see how they'd get a section (b) out of it.

January 2013- Crooks
June 2012- Curley's Wife
Jan 2012- Bunkhouse/inhabitants, migrant workers.
June 2011- George and Lennie, America in the 1930s
Jan 2011- Candy, society as a whole

I imagine it'll be Curley, or a setting again (the river?) or Natural World, which I've seen a lot of people mention.

:confused:What could you say about Curley?What does he represent?
Reply 585
Original post by tingirl
Do you think it could be Carlson, George or Lennie?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is just my opinion, but I think Carlson is too small a character to have a question all about him. George and Lennie are possible, bur they've already down them once not too long ago.
Original post by andersson
Hey guys, some people have been speculating about Slim coming up in the OMAM question, so I've made a practice question for everyone just in case:

a) Read pages 55 to 56 from "A tall man stood in the doorway." on page 55 to "You the new guys?" on page 56. How does Steinbeck present Slim as someone of importance?

b) In the rest of the novel, what is the importance of Slim in the story?

30 marks.
SPaG: 4 marks.

Sorry the questions aren't perfect, I'm no exam writer. The questions are also quite hard, but it's always best to prepare for the worst so you aren't shocked at the difficulty of the question when you open the exam. Best of luck everyone. :smile:

Edit: If you really want a challenge, time yourself and see if you can get it done in the time you should allocate to it in the exam (about 45 minutes).

P.S: Feel free to adapt the questions in any way if you think you can improve them.

Hey! I've written answers to these questions- thanks for posting the questions. I was wondering, what points were you looking for?
Good luck for Monday !
Reply 587
Original post by lolface32
I think you are wrong, there is more context with the natural world than anything else :rolleyes:
Here is a list :biggrin:

- "The little snake slid in among the reeds at the pool's side". You could make the point that, under their own natural habit, animals can escape. But poor Lennie can not :frown: His natural habitat has been destroyed, so he cannot hide. Raising questions, is America the Land of the free?

-" The heron stood in the shallows, waiting"- Raises tensions, the unreliable capitalist system of America provides a sense of uncertainty to the American population.

-" Already the sun had left the valley"- By this time, majority of the people in the novel have left the idea of the American Dream.

- Steinbeck uses light a lot, make a point of that. :biggrin:

-" Side to side"- Irony, in such a individualistic society, it is important to turn your head side to side, keep cautious.

A lot more points, I just cba to write anymore :frown: But you get my drift :cool:

Don't forget the foreshadowing. You could link that to the last-line or the 'fat-of the land quote' in section 1. Also, the predatory society that G+L lived in - which was your point.
I'm doing The Crucible and Of Mice and Men for the AQA English Literature Unit 1 exam. Does anybody have any advice?:smile:
Reply 589
Original post by lolface32
I think you are wrong, there is more context with the natural world than anything else :rolleyes:
Here is a list :biggrin:

- "The little snake slid in among the reeds at the pool's side". You could make the point that, under their own natural habit, animals can escape. But poor Lennie can not :frown: His natural habitat has been destroyed, so he cannot hide. Raising questions, is America the Land of the free?

-" The heron stood in the shallows, waiting"- Raises tensions, the unreliable capitalist system of America provides a sense of uncertainty to the American population.

-" Already the sun had left the valley"- By this time, majority of the people in the novel have left the idea of the American Dream.

- Steinbeck uses light a lot, make a point of that. :biggrin:

-" Side to side"- Irony, in such a individualistic society, it is important to turn your head side to side, keep cautious.

A lot more points, I just cba to write anymore :frown: But you get my drift :cool:

Fair does... I'm just gonna make up a big loada crap... That's basically how you get marks in English literature... No offence to anyone lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 590
Original post by Natalia_14
I'm not exactly sure, but you could comment on his unhappy marriage, negative view of women (like possessions), destiny to run the ranch- therefore he is just as trapped as the other workers. That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure someone else would have some better ideas.
Reply 591
Original post by Robbo54
Don't forget the foreshadowing. You could link that to the last-line or the 'fat-of the land quote' in section 1. Also, the predatory society that G+L lived in - which was your point.

yeah, foreshadowing forgot it :colondollar:

I try to stray off what the majority of people will say though, it seems more impressive to have my own ideas. I suppose that's what may kill me :biggrin:
Reply 592
Original post by dazzer19
Fair does... I'm just gonna make up a big loada crap... That's basically how you get marks in English literature... No offence to anyone lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

None taken, my teacher say's the only way to get full marks is to bull**** anyway, that's all Lit is at this point :biggrin:
Reply 593
I don't know what to write about the natural world - does anyone have any perceptive or good points??
my teacher said that Curley will not come up as he is a minor character. She said that Candy's dog might come up or Candy himself about how Steinbeck portrays him in the novel.
Original post by Natalia_14

I would say that Curley is symbolic of how "small" people could feel inferior and compensate by flaunting their power around and intimidating people. In my reading, he has just married his wife for the higher status and to be different from the other ranchmen. Marrying the girl has given him something to do (looks for her all the time)... but he doesn't really represent much in the novel? :/
Reply 596
For anyone doing the IGCSE English paper, are the extracts from 'Veronica' and 'The Necklace' in the language or literature exam?

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App
Reply 597
Original post by cjslions
I don't know what to write about the natural world - does anyone have any perceptive or good points??

Top of the page, got a few good points :wink:
Original post by Alleykat606
Moon on the Tides - conflict

Of Mice and Men
An Inspector Calls...

....anyone else? :smile:

Yh, OMAM and An Inspector... how are you revising for them ? :s-smilie:
Reply 599
Really? I'm surprised she says Curley is too minor a character but thinks Candy's dog could come up...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending