The Student Room Group

Arsey's D1 Edexcel Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by FLLF
ah, then probably 2 if you drew the line right?

Thanks, yeah I drew the line :smile:
Reply 161
predicted grade boundaries arsey?
Just realised I'm eligible to apply for special conditions as I have killer hay-fever and that causes bad headaches. Only thing is, I didn't let the invigilator know (was in a classroom, didn't know where she was lol?). Can I still go to my head of maths and ask him to submit the JQC form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 163
Either I'm crazy or I have done an entirely different paper. Anyone else did another paper where the last Qn was the linear programming?
damn messed up Dijkstra's big time :frown: started with the answer as 31, changed it, got 30 then decided to change it back again because I thought I'd gone wrong :/ at least I got all the linear programming correct
Reply 165
Original post by Nonomomo
Either I'm crazy or I have done an entirely different paper. Anyone else did another paper where the last Qn was the linear programming?

I take it you don't live in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 166
Original post by MattyO94
predicted grade boundaries arsey?

A-63
B-57
C-51
D-45
E-39

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
Original post by tsr1996
This is probably going to make a few of you laugh, but I did the quicksort in ascending instead of descending, and then did bin packing using the 'first fit ascending bin packing method' which I think i've made up. And said at the end of the question that first fit was better because there were less bins, so it wasn't an optimal solution. Any marks? It's annoying because I got the same as arsey for everything else.

Lol

Certainly nothing for first fit ascending.

I am sure it has mentioned in previous MS what to award if a candidate does ascending instead of descending in a sorting algorithm. I will have a look later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
Original post by Priya08
Questions...

Do we need to say how many is wasted in the bin packing algorithm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by danlocke
Messed up part c on route inspection by missing "she decides to start at E..."

I did it the usual way of repeat DC, start at A finish at B- any chance of a method mark?

Also on part g pod c.p.a, I said 5 from the Gantt chart is better but something along the lines of "because you can clearly see there is no way around it" due to time constraint. Would mentioning that 5 is better get me a mark without mention if critical time?

Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure. It sounds as though you got the gist. Depends on MS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi arsey

For question on critical I use time 12 and said 4 activities and 1 may be happening
I mentioned the letters and said 5 workers needed? Is okay

For linear. I got x and y like yours but I did not state 36 numer of 2 sweater I just put X and Y cause in question it already says what x and y is
Reply 171
Original post by Arsey
I take it you don't live in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I don't. Do papers outside of UK differ from the one taken locally despite it also being from Edexcel; taken on the same day and time?

Hey Arsey, sorry to annoy the crap out of you on both threads >.< but I was just wondering would I get penalised on Q1 for not drawing out my final matchings on the nodes they provided? I didn't see them on the next page and ended up drawing my own on the first.. Thanks as always. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spent so long looking for that blasted O on the Gantt chart! :rant: But overall I thought that the paper was okay. Lots of people at school were complaining about the Gantt chart and the Linear Programming.
Reply 174
Original post by Arsey
Fairly reasonable paper I thought

1. Matchings - pretty simple, although not breaking down the 2 required paths into separate part of the question, could cause problems.

2. Quick sort and Bin packing - very easy, I thought it was odd how the first-fit decreasing didn't reduce the number of bins though

3. Prim's and Kruskal's - very easy

4. Dikky - harder than normal due to the sneaky part of the route. Quite easy to mank up b) too.

5. Postie - standard. A common error on c) will be to repeat DE.

6. LP - not easy but it never is. Part b) will be a bloodbath.

alt to part b)

no more than 1.5 times as many small as large

for every 3 small you need at least 2 big

7. CPA - Fairly standard but the backward scans not using the dummy paths will be a very common error. Gantt chart took too long. f) and g) will be poorly answered.

Overall I would say it was a little easier than Jan, I would expect it to be around 63 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

hello Arsey, for the last question.My was answer was 'part (e) (5 workers) because it takes into account the floating time on each activity'. Will i get any marks for this?
Reply 175
Original post by Arsey
Fairly reasonable paper I thought

1. Matchings - pretty simple, although not breaking down the 2 required paths into separate part of the question, could cause problems.

2. Quick sort and Bin packing - very easy, I thought it was odd how the first-fit decreasing didn't reduce the number of bins though

3. Prim's and Kruskal's - very easy

4. Dikky - harder than normal due to the sneaky part of the route. Quite easy to mank up b) too.

5. Postie - standard. A common error on c) will be to repeat DE.

6. LP - not easy but it never is. Part b) will be a bloodbath.

alt to part b)

no more than 1.5 times as many small as large

for every 3 small you need at least 2 big

7. CPA - Fairly standard but the backward scans not using the dummy paths will be a very common error. Gantt chart took too long. f) and g) will be poorly answered.

Overall I would say it was a little easier than Jan, I would expect it to be around 63 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

for 3e is 12 the right answer? Thanks

Please answer my quote arsey please
Reply 177
Original post by otrivine
Hi arsey

For question on critical I use time 12 and said 4 activities and 1 may be happening
I mentioned the letters and said 5 workers needed? Is okay

For linear. I got x and y like yours but I did not state 36 numer of 2 sweater I just put X and Y cause in question it already says what x and y is

No, that is wrong. The LB is found from activities which must happen not may.

Second bit is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 178
Original post by Gillerz
for 3e is 12 the right answer? Thanks

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Original post by eman27
hello Arsey, for the last question.My was answer was 'part (e) (5 workers) because it takes into account the floating time on each activity'. Will i get any marks for this?

5e was drawing the Gantt but even if you meant f or g I would say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending