The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Anyone doing Lord of the flies and Blood brother?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 601
Original post by simranmehra6
my teacher said that Curley will not come up as he is a minor character. She said that Candy's dog might come up or Candy himself about how Steinbeck portrays him in the novel.

How can you write about candy's dog? surely it has to be a character / theme?
Original post by Natasha792
Yh, OMAM and An Inspector... how are you revising for them ? :s-smilie:

I'm just remembering key sections of the books for various characters e.g. Lennie in Crook's 'shack'...when George tells Lennie the dream and also for An Inspector Calls. I made mind maps previously on specific themes and characters for both books but to be honest I haven't done much revision the last couple of days :tongue: just do anything you can to know the books as well as you can e.g. re-read them (if you have the time!), watch video summaries, watch the film, read other people's essays and presentations (you can easily look for these online)
Reply 603
Wouldnt mind candys dog coming up.

He and Candy represent George and lennies relationship, candy has to tell the dog what to do, the same for Lennie. ALso, both the dog and lennie are killed which shows that society believes they are better off without them, as the reason they are killed is because of the thoughts and feelings of other members on the ranch.

Also, the fact that the dog is ancient could be used tho relate to Candy and the fact that the old saying "the older the wiser" (or some shizz like that) shows candy is smarter than he lets on to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It'll be something to do with foreshadowing and the death of Lennie - im guessing. Im not sure what they will ask about Candy's dog. As they've asked about Candy, George and Lennie and Curley's wife.
Reply 605
Original post by lolface32
yeah, foreshadowing forgot it :colondollar:

I try to stray off what the majority of people will say though, it seems more impressive to have my own ideas. I suppose that's what may kill me :biggrin:

That's why I don't want to post my ideas as I want to impress the examiner and interest him in my script. I just build on ideas from class discussions and from teachers comment(s). I recommend getting a plain A3 sheet and just writing about quotes, coming up with theories - that's what will get you the A/A*(as long as you do all the other objectives.)
Original post by Natasha792
I would say that Curley is symbolic of how "small" people could feel inferior and compensate by flaunting their power around and intimidating people. In my reading, he has just married his wife for the higher status and to be different from the other ranchmen. Marrying the girl has given him something to do (looks for her all the time)... but he doesn't really represent much in the novel? :/

Yeah that's what I'm saying :/I doubt he'll come up.It'll probably be a setting or Slim.
Reply 607
Anyone got any idea of what section B may be for Curley/Slim?

I fail to see how Slim can link into section B as much as some characters, he isn't exactly lonely, violent, etc.
Reply 608
The same examiner doesn't mark every single script and if 100 poeple out of every single person taking it have the same idea, and if its a good idea, they will still receive high marks, also long as it isn't really stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jack97
Do we get the confilct poems with us in the exam ?

also what is most likely to come up for :
Confilct poems
Of Mice and Men
The Women In Black?

someone please reply! thanks

HEY! Im sitting the same exam :biggrin: for Of mice and men they'll give you a short extract from the passage and then tell you to describe a specific character but you must refer it to context! E.g. the American Dream and the Characters of George and Lennie, or Racism in 1930s and how the character of Crooks symbolizes this, how disabled people were looked upon and the character of Candy, crooks and Lennie.
My teacher said that most likely they'd ask about the character of Crooks, Candy or Slim, depends if they didn't ask about them in the last exam.

for the Woman in Black you'll be asked about how tension is shown from an extract, or the conspiracy of silence.

I'm not so sure about conflict of poems that exam's on the 23rd. Hope that helped, just joined this. :eek: GOOD LUCK! xx
Reply 610
I'm doing Character and Voice from the Anthology, Mister Pip, and The Crucible. Anyone else doing any of these? They don't seem very popular, looking through all the posts.

Nervous about Crucible because bad questions could come up - the past questions aren't great, but Mister Pip isn't too bad. My English teacher thinks Les Grands Seigneurs and Case History: Alison might come up this year for character and voice.

:eek:
Reply 611
On the of mice and men question:
How many points should we make for part b? Is 3 developed paragraphs way too little?
Also how many points for part a?

Posted from TSR Mobile
it might be the setting of the beginning of chapter 1 when George and Lennie disturb nature and then at the end of Chapter 6 they come back to the brush. In which they disturb nature again - you can say that it is cyclical. Also, that they came back to where they first started cause Lennie felt safe there, that its a place of comfort for Lennie when he is shot.
Original post by jack97
How can you write about candy's dog? surely it has to be a character / theme?

yeah, my teacher says Candy's dog might be asked, it's got context behind it.
Original post by Jack59

I fail to see how Slim can link into section B as much as some characters, he isn't exactly lonely, violent, etc.

I kind of agree, I think part B which is always context related would be quite vague if Slim or Curley came up as there isn't as much to say about them, especially as they're more minor characters. Maybe if it's Slim it could be about how he is different to the typical ranch worker at the time, but I'm not sure?
Reply 615
Original post by icantexplain
HEY! Im sitting the same exam :biggrin: for Of mice and men they'll give you a short extract from the passage and then tell you to describe a specific character but you must refer it to context! E.g. the American Dream and the Characters of George and Lennie, or Racism in 1930s and how the character of Crooks symbolizes this, how disabled people were looked upon and the character of Candy, crooks and Lennie.
My teacher said that most likely they'd ask about the character of Crooks, Candy or Slim, depends if they didn't ask about them in the last exam.

for the Woman in Black you'll be asked about how tension is shown from an extract, or the conspiracy of silence.

I'm not so sure about conflict of poems that exam's on the 23rd. Hope that helped, just joined this. :eek: GOOD LUCK! xx

for the women in black they dont give you an extract? its just a question?

Edit: Also whats the conspiracy of silence?
Original post by simranmehra6
my teacher said that Curley will not come up as he is a minor character. She said that Candy's dog might come up or Candy himself about how Steinbeck portrays him in the novel.

Hasn't Candy already come up?
You could say that Slim is arguably Steinbeck as he treats Crooks with respect despite the fact that he lets him sleep out in the cold along. Slim also makes Curley's wife feel like she's involved as he says to her ''hey good looking''. In the end when Slim and George walk off together shows a new question and you could say that Slim is like the figure of authority who everybody respects.
Original post by Natalia_14
Hasn't Candy already come up?

he came up in the 2011 paper :smile: so he might come up again, about how he represents other people in society etc.
Original post by Jack59

There's tons you can write about Slim like they may ask 'Why does Steinbeck uses the words 'prince of the ranch' to describe him' or 'how he has the up-most respect and gratitude of those around him? and 'How authority is represented throughout the rest of the novel?'Here you can talk about Slim.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest