The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TopHat
He's 22, which is a bit "old" for a youngster, but that said he's made a Master's final, some quarters, had his fair share of top ten wins, etc; so even if he can't engineer massive changes, I'm not sure he necessarily needs to - he's amongst the best if not the best of the next generation. I'd certainly pick him over Dimitrov, for example.

I'd say 22 is really young in the modern game.
Reply 1701
Shame to get an elbow injury with the French Open coming up.
Read an interview of Benoit Paire the other day, he said Federer usually humiliates him on court lol, and that is probably what will happen today. His win over Granollers was good, but that was Granollers.
Original post by TopHat
He's 22, which is a bit "old" for a youngster, but that said he's made a Master's final, some quarters, had his fair share of top ten wins, etc; so even if he can't engineer massive changes, I'm not sure he necessarily needs to - he's amongst the best if not the best of the next generation. I'd certainly pick him over Dimitrov, for example.

no way, Dimitrov and Raonic have it over Janowicz...Dimitrov is going to be big.
Original post by LookIts_Liam
no way, Dimitrov and Raonic have it over Janowicz...Dimitrov is going to be big.

I second this - when he sorts his fitness out he'll be top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5
Original post by jamsie555
I second this - when he sorts his fitness out he'll be top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5

The only thing keeping Raonic and Nikishori out of the top 10 now is that they are pitiful on clay.

I still think Tomic at his best is streaks above the others mentioned although i full expect Del Potro to be the world number 1 within 3 years.
Original post by LookIts_Liam

Raonic has a serve and little else. He might achieve the sort of career you'd expect from a better Isner, but that's still not going to be much more than say, a brief stint in the top 5 but mostly hovering at no. 20-10 region.

Dimitrov... I don't know. In many ways it is easier to sort out your game than it is to sort out your head. Berdych is an example of that. I mean, his playstyle is very different to Dimitrov, but in many ways the only reason Berdych can't keep up with much of the big 4 is because mentally his game just isn't there. That's also something incredibly difficult to fix. Janowicz actually has a really cool head under pressure. If you saw that match against Federer, he remained motivated and concentrate throughout. I don't think Dimitrov can do that, and I'm not entirely convinced Dimitrov will ever be able to do that. Much like Berdych, Dimitrov will score big wins over important people on those days everything clicks, but I think Janowicz will probably go further.

I mean, look at it this way. There's 5 months between Dimitrov and Janowicz. Janowicz has:

- made 3R in the AO and Wimbledon
- made a Master's final, even if it was with some luck
- has 8 wins against top 10 players

Dimitrov has:

- never made it past 2R of a Grand Slam (despite entering more!)
- best Master's result is a QF, which Janowicz matches even if you discard Janowicz' Paris run.
- has 3 wins against top 10 players

And it gets even worse when you consider that Dimitrov, although he is 5 months younger than Janowicz, has been ATP-level just a little longer (he got some nice wildcards much earlier on. Janowicz reached ATP from Challengers the hard way). Unless Dimitrov pulls some serious, serious results over the next 5 months, he'll be behind where Janowicz was at this point in his career. Maybe he'll improve faster, but I doubt it because Janowicz has to improve his game, which is manageable. Dimitrov, as I mentioned, has to improve his head.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
The only thing keeping Raonic and Nikishori out of the top 10 now is that they are pitiful on clay.

I still think Tomic at his best is streaks above the others mentioned although i full expect Del Potro to be the world number 1 within 3 years.
The thing about Tomic is his attitude tbh, in comparision to the other "youngsters" out there then talent wise he's definitely near the top & already made the 4R & QFs of GS by the age of 20, so his record is better than any of the other young guns out there, if he can just sort is head out he'd definitely be at least top 10 in the future.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TopHat
Raonic has a serve and little else. He might achieve the sort of career you'd expect from a better Isner, but that's still not going to be much more than say, a brief stint in the top 5 but mostly hovering at no. 20-10 region.

Dimitrov... I don't know. In many ways it is easier to sort out your game than it is to sort out your head. Berdych is an example of that. I mean, his playstyle is very different to Dimitrov, but in many ways the only reason Berdych can't keep up with much of the big 4 is because mentally his game just isn't there. That's also something incredibly difficult to fix. Janowicz actually has a really cool head under pressure. If you saw that match against Federer, he remained motivated and concentrate throughout. I don't think Dimitrov can do that, and I'm not entirely convinced Dimitrov will ever be able to do that. Much like Berdych, Dimitrov will score big wins over important people on those days everything clicks, but I think Janowicz will probably go further.

I mean, look at it this way. There's 5 months between Dimitrov and Janowicz. Janowicz has:

- made 3R in the AO and Wimbledon
- made a Master's final, even if it was with some luck
- has 8 wins against top 10 players

Dimitrov has:

- never made it past 2R of a Grand Slam (despite entering more!)
- best Master's result is a QF, which Janowicz matches even if you discard Janowicz' Paris run.
- has 3 wins against top 10 players

And it gets even worse when you consider that Dimitrov, although he is 5 months younger than Janowicz, has been ATP-level just a little longer (he got some nice wildcards much earlier on. Janowicz reached ATP from Challengers the hard way). Unless Dimitrov pulls some serious, serious results over the next 5 months, he'll be behind where Janowicz was at this point in his career. Maybe he'll improve faster, but I doubt it because Janowicz has to improve his game, which is manageable. Dimitrov, as I mentioned, has to improve his head.

Good point, Verdasco is another.

Original post by Multitalented me
The thing about Tomic is his attitude tbh, in comparision to the other "youngsters" out there then talent wise he's definitely near the top & already made the 4R & QFs of GS by the age of 20, so his record is better than any of the other young guns out there, if he can just sort is head out he'd definitely be at least top 10 in the future.

If he can sort his head out then he's in prime position to take the number 1 spot from Del Potro once the current big 4 have retired/died down.
Berdych just is not competing at this stage, Rafa is all over him. I can see this match finishing quite comfortably in straight sets if he doesn't do something about it.
Berdych's game plan is awful. It's all in his head, honestly. He has the exact Soderling-like game necessary to really trouble Nadal, it's just mental.
Reply 1710
That was quite a first set from Rafa. And it wasn't decided by Berdych's errors (he made 4 errors, Rafa made three). But I expect Berdych to get more comfortable in this second set. After yesterday, I'm not counting him out, it was all mental with Djokovic and look at what he pulled off yesterday.
(edited 10 years ago)
Nadal has done it.
Reply 1712
8/8 finals for Nadal, lets see if he can make it 6/8 or not. This is Federers best chance to win Rome.
Federer vs Nadal! :biggrin:
Reply 1714
Original post by rakas21
federer vs nadal! :d

10/20 or 11/19 predictions......
Original post by ubi1
10/20 or 11/19 predictions......

Wait for Federer's match first!
Reply 1716
Original post by Krish4791
Wait for Federer's match first!

Any idea when Federer's match starts? I might watch a bit.
Original post by Natty.B

7pm BST iirc
Original post by Natty.B

Should start just after 7pm assuming no delays.

Rafa was very good today, so if he keeps it up tomorrow I can see him lifting the title anyway. Federer has to be at his absolute best physically and especially mentally to get through these final 2 matches
Reply 1719
Original post by TH3-FL45H
7pm BST iirc

Latest