The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Fas
no problem - yeah mate go for it :smile:

For the question where you had to calculate the mean and standard deviation, I calculated ∑fx incorrectly, and then didn't get the mean. So that's two gone. For the next two steps, would I get the marks despite using incorrect value for the mean? I got the standard deviation wrong, because of incorrect mean value, so at least 3 marks gone there

thanks mate :smile:
Original post by ocelot92
damn what would be the grade boundaries for about 85ums?

assuming 61 for an A - then you'd need about 64/75 i reckon ( assuming 7 marks for 10 ums )
Original post by Titus20
For the question where you had to calculate the mean and standard deviation, I calculated ∑fx incorrectly, and then didn't get the mean. So that's two gone. For the next two steps, would I get the marks despite using incorrect value for the mean? I got the standard deviation wrong, because of incorrect mean value, so at least 3 marks gone there

thanks mate :smile:

its like i said to the other poster , ECF marks don't tend to be present in S1 - BUT that said they're not gonna totally dock you ( i think you will gain the method marks for the later questions , but maybe not the accuracy marks ) :smile:

Edit : so for that question i think you'll be looking at 2/5 , aslong as you used the correct method to work out the standard deviation :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 543
Original post by Fas
its like i said to the other poster , ECF marks don't tend to be present in S1 - BUT that said they're not gonna totally dock you ( i think you will gain the method marks for the later questions , but maybe not the accuracy marks ) :smile:

Edit : so for that question i think you'll be looking at 2/5 , aslong as you used the correct method to work out the standard deviation :smile:

luckily for me, the rest of the question (as in the whole question, 4b onwards) i got correct! so just looking at part (a) as a problem. I did use the correct method, so hopefully 2 method marks, meaning maximum of 3 lost here and maximum of 2 lost on the venn diagram means at least 70/75 which is okay!

then maybe even another mark on the venn diagram :tongue: so i think i can say looking at 90%+ for sure at least.

thanks for all the help, good luck with your exams!
Original post by 6formsce
I had to do the exact same! Although after looking at Arsey's solutions, I feel a bit stupid for not drawing mine like that. I had no overlap of the circles? Do you reckon I will be awarded any marks for that part of the question? :confused:

Mine makes it look like I went out of my way to draw my Venn diagram in a more difficult way than need...I think you may need the overlap, however if you filled in the circles with the correct numbers you should hopefully get a couple of marks! :smile:
Original post by Titus20
luckily for me, the rest of the question (as in the whole question, 4b onwards) i got correct! so just looking at part (a) as a problem. I did use the correct method, so hopefully 2 method marks, meaning maximum of 3 lost here and maximum of 2 lost on the venn diagram means at least 70/75 which is okay!

then maybe even another mark on the venn diagram :tongue: so i think i can say looking at 90%+ for sure at least.

thanks for all the help, good luck with your exams!

haha nice one ! ive got between 68-70 / 75 depending on my examiner haha :tongue: yeah mate , don't worry about it 70/75 will most likely be around 95 UMS :smile:
guys u know the question where we had to use interpolation to calculate the median
i forgot to make the data continuous
so i was asking if there is error carried forward becoz my median, lower quartile and IQR were all wrong
how many marks do you think i will lose
pls help
thanx
How many marks lost for forgetting to write to 3sf for Question 1? *facepalm*
Reply 548
Original post by Fas
haha nice one ! ive got between 68-70 / 75 depending on my examiner haha :tongue: yeah mate , don't worry about it 70/75 will most likely be around 95 UMS :smile:

sounds like we go similar marks then! i'd be so happy if it is :smile: not too confident about low grade boundaries for this paper though
Reply 549
Original post by Titus20
sounds like we go similar marks then! i'd be so happy if it is :smile: not too confident about low grade boundaries for this paper though

Why? A lot of people seem to have made silly mistakes. A poll should be made really
Reply 550
Original post by GCSE-help
How many marks lost for forgetting to write to 3sf for Question 1? *facepalm*

In a paper I've seen before, it said in the question to leave answers to 3sf but in the ms said awrt (anything which rounds to) the 3sf answers, so maybe no marks lost, but i doubt they'd deduct more than one mark for incorrect rounding.
Reply 551
I wonder if I would lose marks for not putting 0 in the venn diagrams.

And for not saying explicitly these 2 values are outliers...

I calculated the outlier limits and marked them on the boxplot correctly, will I lose marks for not stating on paper ( writing the 2 outlier values ) opposed to plotting them?
Reply 552
Original post by Matamaticas
Mine makes it look like I went out of my way to draw my Venn diagram in a more difficult way than need...I think you may need the overlap, however if you filled in the circles with the correct numbers you should hopefully get a couple of marks! :smile:

Oh, oops, I didn't have any overlap for any of them, hopefully like you say I might get a couple of marks if I got the probabilities correct. Not my strongest part of stats. Although I found the normal distribution question at the end really easy but none of my classmates did. How did you find it??:s-smilie:
Reply 553
Oh, oops, I didn't have any overlap for any of them, hopefully like you say I might get a couple of marks if I got the probabilities correct. Not my strongest part of stats. Although I found the normal distribution question at the end really easy but none of my classmates did. How did you find it??:s-smilie:

I can do normal distribution, I did it easily, but I ****ed up the rest of the paper
Reply 554
Original post by Xx4L3x
Why? A lot of people seem to have made silly mistakes. A poll should be made really

People always make lots of silly mistakes on s1, that's standard. the paper itself was very decent, i think the only problem was the venn diagram but people seem to have generally been fine with it. normal distribution and discrete random variables was easy
Reply 555
Original post by Titus20
People always make lots of silly mistakes on s1, that's standard. the paper itself was very decent, i think the only problem was the venn diagram but people seem to have generally been fine with it. normal distribution and discrete random variables was easy

I think an A will be 59 at the lowest.

Timing was also another factor that meant people could not finish
Reply 556
WHy was June 2010 so low
Anyone knows or would confirm whether question four was positively or negatively skewed?

I must say, I absolutely despise all of stats. This was a resit for me and I'm still not confident with it. So in answer to your question, I found it quite hard :tongue: - it's all about core maths!
Reply 559
Original post by Xx4L3x
I think an A will be 59 at the lowest.

Timing was also another factor that meant people could not finish

That's true, the first question took ages. I suppose in general S1 grade boundaries are low, so 60/61 for an A seems reasonable.

Latest

Trending

Trending