The Student Room Group

AQA English LITB1 AS-Level exam 17th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cjwalker
Haha gah I did not do as well as I was capable of! But oooo well, hopefully I get a nice examiner, good luck to you too :smile:

Me neither, I really messed up section A because a 'filler' chapter came up for Pride and Prejudice, grr. Never before have I sat in an exam thinking 'you are blatantly going to fail.' And thank you :smile:.
I did Tennyson for Section A and was quite happy with that as I suspected they would ask another part of the Lotus Eaters and I talked about how Marianas' character is conveyed through setting and how Godiva setting adds to the suspense but she doesn't really need the setting as her character is so strong and how the setting directly affects the Lady of Shallot.

For Section B I did conflict with Gatsby, Frost and The Road. I thought I could have done so much more for Gatsby as I only did the Tom and Gatsby Ch7 confrontation, I was running out of time! I did quite a lot on The Man's internal conflict in The Road and did Road not Taken and Stopping by Woods for the Frost narrators internal conflict!

Anyone else do these, what did you put?

Plus does anyone know for certain that the grade boundaries are really as low as 46 for an A?! If so, that's amazing but I don't want to get my hopes up too much!
Original post by William24
I thought the Auden questions were really nice. I was so happy Victor was the named poem, there was plenty to write about. The even numbered question was just as nice, also with plenty of things to discuss as well. Section B was a little harder but I chose to do the one about 'Time Setting' and talked about Enduring Love, The Great Gatsby and Browning Poetry.

What aspects if narrative did you write about for Victor? I done characterisation, destination and voices in the text
Original post by ThestralQuill67
I did Tennyson for Section A and was quite happy with that as I suspected they would ask another part of the Lotus Eaters and I talked about how Marianas' character is conveyed through setting and how Godiva setting adds to the suspense but she doesn't really need the setting as her character is so strong and how the setting directly affects the Lady of Shallot.

For Section B I did conflict with Gatsby, Frost and The Road. I thought I could have done so much more for Gatsby as I only did the Tom and Gatsby Ch7 confrontation, I was running out of time! I did quite a lot on The Man's internal conflict in The Road and did Road not Taken and Stopping by Woods for the Frost narrators internal conflict!

Plus does anyone know for certain that the grade boundaries are really as low as 46 for an A?! If so, that's amazing but I don't want to get my hopes up too much!

I got told it was 72 for an A
Reply 24
Original post by MomtaajRahman
Kinda..ish? What else did you write? :smile:

For The Kite Runner I talked about the Pashtuns and Hazara's too. Also the actual conflict with the Taliban etc. I spoke about Amir's conflicts with his father and Assef and also the conflicts of Amir's morals and right and wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've looked up the grade boundaries on the AQA website for the past series. Here are the marks needed for an A, they are out of 84.

January 2013 - 46
June 2012 - 46
January 2012 - 47
June 2011 - 50
January 2011 - 48
June 2010 - 53
January 2010 - 52
June 2009 - 55
January 2009 - 50
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26

For Tennyson's place question I mentioned Tithonus, Lady of Shalott and Mariana. Mariana was an excellent one to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chantallehelm
I got told it was 72 for an A

It is actually 46 to get an A you can look at the AQA January 2013 grade boundaries they are similar to that of June 2012.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BOUND-JAN13.PDF
Wow I really hope so then because I got 56 in my mock and I felt as if I done better in the actual exam
Original post by MomtaajRahman
I've looked up the grade boundaries on the AQA website for the past series. Here are the marks needed for an A, they are out of 84.

January 2013 - 46
June 2012 - 46
January 2012 - 47
June 2011 - 50
January 2011 - 48
June 2010 - 53
January 2010 - 52
June 2009 - 55
January 2009 - 50

Wow, they are so low! Hopefully it's around that this year!
Original post by dooobie_
For Tennyson's place question I mentioned Tithonus, Lady of Shalott and Mariana. Mariana was an excellent one to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was so happy with the Mariana one!
Reply 31
For Section B I did the conflict question and found Gatsby and Birdsong pretty straightforward but I was really rushed on Auden and I feel my answers were ropey. I wrote about the conflict which time creates in relation to love in As I Walked out One Evening, and then the 1st September how Audens views are conflicting with the way society doesn't acknowledge past mistakes in relation to the looming conflict of the war but I'm not too sure if that's a bit too far fetched?
Wow, they are so low! Hopefully it's around that this year!

I know, they seem fairly low! Hopefully it's around the high 40s or 50s marks as usual this year :smile:.
Did anyone do Rime if the Ancient Mariner?
Reply 34
Did anyone do Browning for section A? Trust Pied Piper to come up, find it so hard to talk about because it's just so bland!
Reply 35
Original post by tomj45
How did everyone find it ?

I wrote about The Rime of The Ancient Mariner in the first section and Birdsong, The Kite Runner and Robert Frost in the second section.

What do you think is the highest mark you can get in the part B question if you forgot to include any AO3?

I had my heart set on studying English Literature at St Andrews university but my mind went completely blank in the exam. Now there's no way I could have got an A.
Reply 36
Original post by Beatle1940
What do you think is the highest mark you can get in the part B question if you forgot to include any AO3?

I had my heart set on studying English Literature at St Andrews university but my mind went completely blank in the exam. Now there's no way I could have got an A.

What does AO3 refer to again? I always forget which one means what...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by tomj45
What does AO3 refer to again? I always forget which one means what...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other interpretations
Reply 38
It depends really; I put that in subtly just by using the words "could" "perhaps" and "possibly" just to show other ideas. Did you not include anything like this ?
Original post by William24
I thought the Auden questions were really nice. I was so happy Victor was the named poem, there was plenty to write about. The even numbered question was just as nice, also with plenty of things to discuss as well. Section B was a little harder but I chose to do the one about 'Time Setting' and talked about Enduring Love, The Great Gatsby and Browning Poetry.

Yeah i did Auden in section A, what did you write for Ab arguing it wasn't just an attack on religion??

Quick Reply

Latest