The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustaDreamer
Yay :biggrin: :crossedf:

do you have any notes on natural setting?
as i don't know anything about this aspect.

is it how the setting has changed from the start compared to the ending?
Original post by ryanroks1
Does anybody have any sample essays or good quotes with insightful explanations for Slim or Curley? So scared for this exam, I can't even describe it!

Also, what do you think could come up for Lord of the Flies?

I have been told to link to the conch and symbols, but how do I do this if the question is on a character?

Well, the characters themselves can be perceived as symbols.

For example, Simon is considered a symbol for the moral goodness which is not innate withing us. Simon 'picks fruit' for the little'uns whereas the other boys bully them. This shows a completely selfless act imposed by Simon which shows his moral goodness within him, unlike Jack and Piggy who are also considered as 'civilized boys' however they show weakness to savagery when they participate in the dance and the murder of Simon. Simon is the only boy in the island who is not corrupted by Savagery.

You will probably be asked to compare characters as well so you could enhance their symbolical themes and compare/contrast them. So for example, you could compare Simon to the sadistic boy, Roger. They are considered complete opposites as Simon preserves his moral goodness on the island, by helping the other boys and finding a connection with the island with the use of meditation to maintain his moral goodness however Roger seeks for opportunities to release his sadistic nature, for example when he is throwing stones at Henry, he is analyzing the situation to see there is anyone opposing him from killing.

Each character is a representative to a particular theme, you just have to explore that in the exam when asked.
Original post by sedasarahaydin
it could come up in either one or even BOTH of them! yes question A is a passage question..and the passage that they'll most likely give would be the first page of the book or the last page! and a question that they could ask for question B might be along the lines of... 'Of mice and men starts and ends outside by a pool. what do you think is the significance of this natural setting, compared to the ranch where the rest of the story takes place.' i wrote a practice essay for it and posted it, you could get some ideas from it if you like. and is it possible for you to give it a mark for it as well, i'll appreciate it soo much.
oh and by the way, have you got any idea how many marks each question for A and B is worth? All i know is the total is 60

How are you sure it's going to come up?If it does then I'm screwed!:/ I've only analysed the characters especially slim :/
Original post by Elm Tree
The worst thing about it is that we only went through the stories a week before the exam. I get the general idea of the stories but if the wrong question comes up, that's me done...
And the last time we did OMAM was back in year 10 for the controlled assessment.
We haven't had any time to do practise papers... I feel so lost. And defeated, before the exam has even started. :sigh:

:eek: Whoa and I thought I had it bad! Aww I'm sure you'll be fine :console:
What are peoples predictions for Lord of the Flies?
I'm guessing either Ralph, Identity, Fear or Rules(and order conch etc)
Yay :biggrin: :crossedf:

yhh totally!! is there any possibility for you to give my practice essay (about natural setting) a mark/grade please! i'll appreciate it lots
:eek: Whoa and I thought I had it bad! Aww I'm sure you'll be fine :console:

Haha.. I guess I may have to improvise! Luckily I'm quite good at looking at a text and analysing it on the spot. :tongue:
Reply 707
What is the moral message of 'Anil'? :confused:
Original post by gloria0816
do you have any notes on natural setting?
as i don't know anything about this aspect.

is it how the setting has changed from the start compared to the ending?

Hmmm I mainly use symbolism in this aspect, with the river being George and Lennie for example as they are constantly on the move and never quite reaching their dream. Yep the differences is a good way to analyse it, as well as the similarities such as the pool in both the start and end symbolising the circular motion of events. It's good to analyse a feature, such as the trees, and think: 'Now which character and what theme does this look like?' Hope it helped.
Original post by Fabz_x
What is the moral message of 'Anil'? :confused:

Don't kill people? :awesome:
Original post by Natalia_14
How are you sure it's going to come up?If it does then I'm screwed!:/ I've only analysed the characters especially slim :/

As i doubt it would be a character due to it mainly being characters for the past few papers. Also all the characters have been done except for slim..so i doubt a question about slim would come up due to being too predictable. Every student probably revised slim due to it not coming up. Plus many teachers believe it would be nature due to it being a complex question and something that is NOT predictable. but...you never know...i might be wrong :smile: so i'd advise you to revise everything, including characters and nature and themes
Haha.. I guess I may have to improvise! Luckily I'm quite good at looking at a text and analysing it on the spot. :tongue:

Yeah especially as your A* moments 'aren't rare' :wink:
Original post by Natalia_14

No one can be sure what'll come up!
I'm defo going to analyse Slim before Monday though!
Yeah especially as your A* moments 'aren't rare' :wink:

:lol:
I'll analyse one full stop and end up filling all 16 pages :wink:
:lol:
I'll analyse one full stop and end up filling all 16 pages :wink:

LOL :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Hmmm I mainly use symbolism in this aspect, with the river being George and Lennie for example as they are constantly on the move and never quite reaching their dream. Yep the differences is a good way to analyse it, as well as the similarities such as the pool in both the start and end symbolising the circular motion of events. It's good to analyse a feature, such as the trees, and think: 'Now which character and what theme does this look like?' Hope it helped.

thank you, now i have an idea of what natural setting is trying to get me to
Original post by gloria0816
thank you, now i have an idea of what natural setting is trying to get me to

No problem and glad to hear it :smile:
How can you link natural setting to the contexts such as The American Dream and The Great Depression? I'd find it much easier if it was on a character such as Candy or George
Reply 718
Youtube Vids, my own analysis on potential symbols and dialogue, and stalking this thread....I wish I had a decent teacher :frown:

mine is awfull

we havent read all the texts yet... or finished the poems
we finished the C/A on the day it was required...
and we only started it at the end of Jan

grrr
Reply 719
Original post by ryanroks1
How can you link natural setting to the contexts such as The American Dream and The Great Depression? I'd find it much easier if it was on a character such as Candy or George

This question has been asked and answered a million times today. Search through the thread :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending