The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For 3 (b) is your answer definitely correct?

P([F n W]') means an employee who isn't full time and doesn't walk. So shouldn't it be 75+50 = 125/200?
Hi

Concerning the Venn diagram I drew four circles. F,h,c did intersect and below them I drew b which intersected all of the three above. I did put 0s in the areas of intersection between f,h,and c so would I Stoll get the marks

Thanks
Reply 562
Original post by Heizenburg

P([F n W]') means an employee who isn't full time and doesn't walk. So shouldn't it be 75+50 = 125/200?

It means not the intersection, so its 1 minus the intersection
Original post by Robbie242
It means not the intersection, so its 1 minus the intersection

Damn it. 9 past papers and that never came up.

Anyway i can only find 3-4 marks that I have lost, so hopefully I should still get an A.
Reply 564
Damn it. 9 past papers and that never came up.

Anyway i can only find 3-4 marks that I have lost, so hopefully I should still get an A.

Lol you will definitely get the A no doubt, and yeah it never came up before! you just had to use the ' and apply it to the situation
Reply 565
Hi; these are my worked answers with comments.

I can't compete with Arsey for promptness, but it might be useful for people to see an alternative set of worked answers, with commentary.

I really don't know how Arsey gets hold of the papers so quickly. At my college, the teachers get the hard-copy 3 or 4 days after the exam. Last year, I got a stern summons from the Exams 0fficer when she heard I had been distributing worked answers a day or two after the exam; she was worried that an exam-paper had been smuggled out of the exam-room after the exam and had reached the teachers - which would be a sacking offence for someone, I suspect. I had to explain that the "Edexcel Emporium" website for maths teachers posts the papers the next working day. (The S1 paper has still not been posted, as it is Saturday; I downloaded Arsey's answers and snipped the questions so I could answer them without being influenced by his answers.)

I sometimes think Arsey must have some special arrangement with Edexcel, especially as he seems to refrain from criticising them even when they are being particularly ... shall we say ... individualistic.

I'll probably post M2, M3, M4 and M5 later.

[Attaching the file didn't work; I'll try again.] Ah, the file's too big, but I didn't get any error-message. I'll split it. What a waste of my and your time, and TSR's storage - the combined size of the 5 separate files is far bigger than the original single file!

EDIT 31 MAY - Splitting the files didn't work properly - several pages were missing. Don't bother with the attached files - go here to get the whole thing in one go:

https://app.sugarsync.com/iris/wf/D1209025_79005673_66703

USE LINK ABOVE, NOT ATTACHMENTS BELOW!

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Titus20
People always make lots of silly mistakes on s1, that's standard. the paper itself was very decent, i think the only problem was the venn diagram but people seem to have generally been fine with it. normal distribution and discrete random variables was easy

wouldn't agree with you on that - trawling this thread , theres so many that got the venn diagram wrong and loads at my school messed that one up aswell haha - and a LOT of people didn't finish the exam , although i personally found the Normal distribution the easiest question in the exam ( apart from maybe Q1 and Q2 ) and yeah discrete random variables was fine - took me ****ing ages to work out that 5k = 1 though hahaha , ended up getting 12k + 0.3 = 1 at the start lol :tongue:
Reply 567
Original post by MAD Phil

I can't compete with Arsey for promptness, but it might be useful for people to see an alternative set of worked answers, with commentary.

I really don't know how Arsey gets hold of the papers so quickly. At my college, the teachers get the hard-copy 3 or 4 days after the exam. Last year, I got a stern summons from the Exams 0fficer when she heard I had been distributing worked answers a day or two after the exam; she was worried that an exam-paper had been smuggled out of the exam-room after the exam and had reached the teachers - which would be a sacking offence for someone, I suspect. I had to explain that the "Edexcel Emporium" website for maths teachers posts the papers the next working day. (The S1 paper has still not been posted, as it is Saturday; I downloaded Arsey's answers and snipped the questions so I could answer them without being influenced by his answers.)

I sometimes think Arsey must have some special arrangement with Edexcel, especially as he seems to refrain from criticising them even when they are being particularly ... shall we say ... individualistic.

[Attaching the file didn't work; I'll try again.]

If the file's too big upload it on Mediafire and post the link.
(edited 10 years ago)
Here goes:

well that was an anti-climax :tongue:
Reply 569
Original post by 344302
Cool!! I checked other mark schemes and it doesn't really mention this!!
I did this too!!
Hope we get the marks and Arsey said it okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too!
Reply 570
Worst exam I have ever taken. Really hoping I scraped an A, and I agree about timings, had no time to check and just ended up rushing!
Few questions about where I lost marks, if anyone would be kind enough to answer them :
3d) - Venn diagram: I drew this out the right way two times. Guess what? I rubbed them both out. Not just faintly either, proper hard like an idiot. Just hoping on them having powerful scanners or something :crossedf:

5e) - F(y) probability distribution: I drew out the table right, but I think I wrote 0.4 instead of 0.2 for the 5 value. How many marks would I lose for this?

6c) - Last normal distribution question - I did what a few people were saying before: I wrote:
P(X<210)-P(X<200) = 0.98
P(z<5/sigma)-P(z<-5/sigma)=0.98
then I converted 0.98 into its z value, so:
5/sigma - -5/sigma = 2.06
5/sigma + 5/sigma = 2.06
5+5=2.06sigma=10
so sigma = 10/2.06=4.85 something.
I still can't see where I went wrong with this one, and how many marks would i get for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tit
Worst exam I have ever taken. Really hoping I scraped an A, and I agree about timings, had no time to check and just ended up rushing!
Few questions about where I lost marks, if anyone would be kind enough to answer them :
3d) - Venn diagram: I drew this out the right way two times. Guess what? I rubbed them both out. Not just faintly either, proper hard like an idiot. Just hoping on them having powerful scanners or something :crossedf:

5e) - F(y) probability distribution: I drew out the table right, but I think I wrote 0.4 instead of 0.2 for the 5 value. How many marks would I lose for this?

6c) - Last normal distribution question - I did what a few people were saying before: I wrote:
P(X<210)-P(X<200) = 0.98
P(z<5/sigma)-P(z<-5/sigma)=0.98
then I converted 0.98 into its z value, so:
5/sigma - -5/sigma = 2.06
5/sigma + 5/sigma = 2.06
5+5=2.06sigma=10
so sigma = 10/2.06=4.85 something.
I still can't see where I went wrong with this one, and how many marks would i get for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did the exact same as you for the last question
imho i think we may only loose 1 to 2 marks [ i think]
(edited 10 years ago)
Here goes:

there is no link here

[Attaching the file didn't work; I'll try again.]

tbh it just depends on the Examination officers at the school at my old school the examination officer there was a right BIt*h she was like the one you have, the school i'm currently at the really don't give a toss, after the exam the department get the unwanted papers and they do model solutions and give them out i had seen/compared my answers at school right after the exam, also in my school sometimes the teachers do the papers with us they say it motivates us :tongue:, i was going to say Emporium but you stated it and you are correct the Emporium only has the C1 and M1 paper [both uk and international] they also have the condensed ones, lazy gits need to upload the S1 and D1 papers [dont ask me how i know about Emporium i just do]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 574
Original post by TheGoldenRatio
there is no link here

Sorry, fixed it now.
Reply 575

It doesn't mean that, it is NOT full time AND walks. Think about what that would look like on a Venn. You have to also include full timers who don't walk and walkers who are not full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, fixed it now.

MAD Phil firstly great solutions like the Notes, secondly im sorry to say your hand writing is atrocious :eek:
Reply 577
i did the exact same as you for the last question
imho i think we may only loose 1 to 2 marks [ i think]

I hope so! I still can't figure out why it didnt work though :frown:, mathematically it looks sound!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 578

[Attaching the file didn't work; I'll try again.] Ah, the file's too big, but I didn't get any error-message. I'll split it. What a waste of my and your time, and TSR's storage - the combined size of the 5 separate files is far bigger than the original single file!

Centres are allowed to use papers for internal use once all of their candidates have sat the paper no idea what your exams officer is on about. In the good old days I could go in just before the exam have a good shufty through the paper.

I am no Edexcel mole. I have used pretty much every centre over the years and without question Edexcel are the most professional and offer the most support. GC is a very nice bloke too. That said, I am more than happy to criticise them when merited. I am not sure what you mean by individualistic either.

There is an option in acrobat pro to reduce file sizes btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 579
tbh it just depends on the Examination officers at the school at my old school the examination officer there was a right BIt*h she was like the one you have, the school i'm currently at the really don't give a toss, after the exam the department get the unwanted papers and they do model solutions and give them out i had seen/compared my answers at school right after the exam, also in my school sometimes the teachers do the papers with us they say it motivates us :tongue:, i was going to say Emporium but you stated it and you are correct the Emporium only has the C1 and M1 paper [both uk and international] they also have the condensed ones, lazy gits need to upload the S1 and D1 papers [dont ask me how i know about Emporium i just do]

Bit harsh. The exam was Friday, GC will upload on Monday (the next working day!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest