The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, that was great! Bit confusing though!
Original post by The Mad Dog
The introducing graphic was stupid as ****. We can tell who John Hurt is without the stupid ****ing film credit graphic,

So is John Hurt a future doctor (possibly the 12th) because the time-stream goes right up to when he dies, so there's bound to be a future doctor regeneration in it.

I thought that because Christopher Eccleston wasn't doing it, they decided to use a Doctor that's the actual 9th Doctor?
Original post by Harrow.7
I think John Hurt is a doctor that went power crazy in the time war....ps I love the return of all the old doctors :smile:

He was "the Doctor" before and after the time war, so that can't be correct.
Reply 1163
I thought the episode was quite good. From what I know, John Hurt stated in an article that he was the 9th doctor but he gave away the secret which is probably why he is unknown. And then there was a hype about Matt Smith therefore being the twelfth doctor. So that's the last regeneration so he could die but there's Clara who could save him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Rusty Spork
:facepalm: That John Hurt thing at the end was terrible! The actual build up and the reveal was brilliant, the 'Introducing' graphic on the screen was horrible. Who the **** thought that that was a good idea!

The finale was good but it could have been any other episode tbh, it didn't have the feel of a 'finale' mainly because the actual finale of that storyline is going to be the anniversary episode. This was all build up.

Main problem with the episode was Clara wearing tights :sad: Still don't like the Victorian crew and I still find it hard to understand why the Doctor even likes River let alone loves her.

I thought the John Hurt introduction was pretty good.

River is a saucy hot minx. No-one will ever say the word "spoilers" like she does.
Original post by SyedaK
I thought the episode was quite good. From what I know, John Hurt stated in an article that he was the 9th doctor but he gave away the secret which is probably why he is unknown. And then there was a hype about Matt Smith therefore being the twelfth doctor. So that's the last regeneration so he could die but there's Clara who could save him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's twelve regenerations, 13 lives isn't it?
That was absolutely fantastic - absolutely fantastic episode. Had me squealing like a little girl in the first 5 seconds, and could not contain my excitement as soon as it cut to Hartnell stealing the TARDIS, and was super excited for the entire intro.

Brought up a lot of questions, lots of suspense; mystery. Didn't patronise the viewer in the slightest - let you work out what was going on as it ran, or answered a question after letting the suspense really get at you first. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything about this episode if I could. Clara and The Doctor were absolutely fantastic in this episode, and Strax was hilarious once again.

Adored it. Really. Can't wait for the anniversary!
Reply 1167
Original post by Scienceisgood

Spoiler

The Doctor will probably willingly die one day because he himself has stated he has lived "for too long".

Spoiler

I also found it ridiculous that Clara saw 'all 11 faces,' which implies that Matt Smith will be the last ever Doctor.
Unless Doctor Who will become Physician Who in the future... :colondollar:
Original post by Zabaar

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Mad Dog
The introducing graphic was stupid as ****. We can tell who John Hurt is without the stupid ****ing film credit graphic,

So is John Hurt a future doctor (possibly the 12th) because the time-stream goes right up to when he dies, so there's bound to be a future doctor regeneration in it.

You mean the actor or the character? There is already rumours he is the Valeyard from the Doctor's final regeneration so this may be a red herring or a way to say he is the Doctor.
Reply 1170
My guess is that John Hurt (that's the name of the actor by the way) is a past incarnation of the Doctor who, at some point, was forced into killing someone - he said something along the lines of it not being by choice but because it was for peace? I can't think of much else that is not "in the name of the Doctor".

Plus, it must presumably be at some point in the past i.e. pre any other form of the Doctor that we've seen since Matt Smith's Doctor is aware of the John Hurt guy. If it was in the future then surely he wouldn't have known who he was?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1171
Original post by drbluebox
It's twelve regenerations, 13 lives isn't it?

Oh yeah! *faceplams*

Posted from TSR Mobile
The first episode I've really really loved for a long time. Chuffed. Willl post my full reaction later :smile:
Best episode of the series even if it has confused me :lol:
Reply 1174
The evil guy/monsters were terrible; felt like there was nothing actually threatening the Doctor.

Also, this episode just seemed like a bombardment of information. They could've subtly fit the information in this episode into previous episodes, but for some reason they left everything until the last minute to reveal. As a consequence, Clara's whole storyline was completely overshadowed by the John Hurt thing, which is a shame caused by bad writing.

Honestly, I still feel like I don't know who Clara is. I mean I know why she was 'the impossible girl' but who she is/her character wasn't very well written. Just have to say, I've really started to dislike Strax - his novelty has completely worn off.

In its own right the episode wasn't that good imo, but I guess if you look at Doctor Who as a whole it was really good.
(edited 10 years ago)
So Moffat has just completely rewritten the history of the show?
Original post by Llewellyn
He was "the Doctor" before and after the time war, so that can't be correct.

Where/when did you learn this?
Does anyone think The Doctor actually knows his name or has had the TARDIS perform some kind of mental link permanently destroying any memory of his name?
Original post by drbluebox
The things I want a little clarified are is Trenzalore literally the leaking Tardis or just the tomb?

Also I may have misheard but didnt Clara say she saw all 11 faces and it was just 1 she didnt recognise so I guess that confirms he did use a regeneration up as 10?

She saw 11+John Hurt, who isn't necessarily another regeneration. The writers obviously avoided mentioning more than 11, because if they said "13", then they'd be tying the series down to ending with a 13th Doctor, and if the series doesn't end there...well, then the script looks silly!

Original post by Kagutsuchi
Where/when did you learn this?

Classic Who, with the first few incarnations of the Doctor, were going on well before the end of the time war - he was known as The Doctor then.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm still trying to straighten things out in my head. Going to have to revisit that last scene on iPlayer and pay careful attention to what is said...

Quick Reply

Latest