The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180

I wonder whether John Hurt could be

He was mentioned earlier on in the episode...
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Where/when did you learn this?

Tom Baker introduced himself as "the doctor", as did all others previously.

If I know Moffat from Sherlock, then the "introducing John hurt..." part was not as literal as intended. If they wanted to do that directly then they would not have had that message at the end of the show. Think about it.
Original post by drbluebox
The things I want a little clarified are is Trenzalore literally the leaking Tardis or just the tomb?

Also I may have misheard but didnt Clara say she saw all 11 faces and it was just 1 she didnt recognise so I guess that confirms he did use a regeneration up as 10?

From what I gathered, Trenzalore is just a planet, like any other planet out there. It's just the resting place for soldiers who died in a great battle.

She did say 11 faces... Yep. Sounds about right.

Original post by The Mad Dog
So Moffat has just completely rewritten the history of the show?

No - he has just seasoned it with some delicious salt.
If you want to speculate then there were some really huge unanswered questions in that episode. The most obvious concerning River, but the most important probably being the planet itself.
What's actually going on? I'm so confused :frown: Can somebody explain?

EDIT: Wait... I get it

EDIT 2: I think...
(edited 10 years ago)
If this is how the 50th is gonna be written, then god save us all.
Did anyone else notice the Great Intelligence call The Doctor "the Valeyard"?
Doctor Who just doesn't have the same "epicness" to it that it used to.

Compare this finale to the two or three parter with The Master and you'll see just how far the quality has dipped.

It's time for Moffat to bow out and to return to old style stories, not this childish rubbish.

Very disappointed.
Original post by The Mad Dog
So Moffat has just completely rewritten the history of the show?

Not really. Clara was basically there to unwrite the re-write, so the history hasn't changed at all, except for Clara kinda just being there in the background that we never see, and being a girl that he speaks to when he first steals the TARDIS - something which we never had any info on anyway.

I've still managed to make Clara's recommendation fit with the TARDIS' "I stole you", so I'm okay with this development.

Can we please stop putting speculation in spoilers?

If it doesn't contain an actual spoiler for a future episode (e.g. the anniversary), then it doesn't need to be in a spoiler. Otherwise everyone has to risk having parts of the episode actually spoiled for them if they want to take part in the speculation, which was part of the fun of this thread since its inception!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1189
Was confused as to what actually was the big revelation other than Trenzalor being his grave site. Also anyone think John Hurt's Doctor would be the one rumored to be the 'forgotten' Doctor or simply his final form..? Found it brilliant though brings it back to how much the Doctors existence really effects the universe.:biggrin:

Spoiler

One of my friends posted this - am finding out where she got it now but this might be it! Totally unsourced atm though
(edited 10 years ago)
Wish Alex Kingston would **** off.

Other than that, lovely stuff :h:
Question - Shortly after the Great Intelligence demanded The Doctor's name, he said something and as soon as he said that, the TARDIS opened, I know he didn't say his name but I didn't catch what he said (even though River said his name off screen).
Original post by Llewellyn
Tom Baker introduced himself as "the doctor", as did all others previously.

If I know Moffat from Sherlock, then the "introducing John hurt..." part was not as literal as intended. If they wanted to do that directly then they would not have had that message at the end of the show. Think about it.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. When you said: "He was "the Doctor" before and after the time war, so that can't be correct." I thought you meant you thought the John Hurt version of the Doctor was the doctor before and after the time war, so I was a bit confused as to where you got this information from.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Question - Shortly after the Great Intelligence demanded The Doctor's name, he said something and as soon as he said that, the TARDIS opened, I know he didn't say his name but I didn't catch what he said (even though River said his name off screen).

He said "please".
Original post by Scienceisgood

The Great Intelligence: "DOCTOR. WHO!?"
The Doctor: "PLEASE! (begging him to stop killing his friends)"

Then the doors opened, because River said the Doctor's name.
Great episode but not as good as it could be, the Cyber episode last week remains the best since Pandorica.

Original post by Kieran?
My guess is that John Hurt (that's the name of the actor by the way) is a past incarnation of the Doctor who, at some point, was forced into killing someone - he said something along the lines of it not being by choice but because it was for peace? I can't think of much else that is not "in the name of the Doctor".

Plus, it must presumably be at some point in the past i.e. pre any other form of the Doctor that we've seen since Matt Smith's Doctor is aware of the John Hurt guy. If it was in the future then surely he wouldn't have known who he was?

I wonder if that incarnation was the one who slaughtered the Daleks and his own race, perhaps revealing his name caused that.

Original post by Llewellyn
If you want to speculate then there were some really huge unanswered questions in that episode. The most obvious concerning River, but the most important probably being the planet itself.

River died in the library however she still has a telepathic link although she should have faded (a rescue perhaps in the future)?).
Reply 1197
Original post by StephenNaulls
What's actually going on? I'm so confused :frown: Can somebody explain?

I'm thinking of it as the introduction to the 50th anniversary film. Just to make you understand a bit more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Doctor Who just doesn't have the same "epicness" to it that it used to.

Compare this finale to the two or three parter with The Master and you'll see just how far the quality has dipped.

It's time for Moffat to bow out and to return to old style stories, not this childish rubbish.

Very disappointed.

I'd like series finales which make more sense. RTD's finales were a perfect mix of story and action in my opinion.
Reply 1199
Original post by Caitlin_dj
"There's an insane, thoroughly unsourced rumor floating around that the 50th Anniversary special's major guest star, legendary actor John Hurt, is going to be playing... the Doctor. And not just some future or alternate Doctor, but the real 9th Doctor, an incarnation that was somehow forgotten in the insanity of the Time War. And in case you're thinking this is all part of an absurdly elaborate "Screw you" to Christopher Eccleston, fear not the rumor claims that, as Hurt emerges as the forgotten 9th Doctor, Eccleston becomes the 10th, David Tennant the 11th, and Matt Smith the 12th. While I can kind of imagine Steven Moffat doing something like that, if only to piss off insane fans like myself with retroactive renumbering, it's worth stressing that there's no clear source for this rumor at present, and even if there were, it would still be wise to take it with a grain of salt."

One of my friends posted this - am finding out where she got it now but this might be it! Totally unsourced atm though

John Hurt said it in an interview last week.

Quick Reply

Latest