The Student Room Group

Same company: one job offer, one interview - Advice Please

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding what to do about this situation I'm in.

I've managed to gain interest from a huge scientific publishing company and am currently facing a difficult decision. I've been shortlisted for 'The Job' I'd love versus a regular job, paying less. Both jobs are in exactly the same office for the same company. I thought the HR department would know about how I'd applied for 7 (yes, 7) roles for the company... :colondollar:

1) Job offer paying £17k, starting 10th June - roles are mainly administrative tasks and it was stressed in the interview that this is a very repetitive and tedious job.

2) About 10 minutes before I got the job offer by email I was emailed by the editor asking to do a test. If I pass the test well I'll be interviewed. Interviews are held 3rd June. It pays £24k.

I've emailed HR saying I'd love to take up job 1, and I'd only reconsider if I was successful for job 2. I am so grateful for getting both opportunities as I know how dire the job market is at the moment. I think my email has been as polite and as grateful sounding as possible without sounding too greedy/desperate.

Anyone had any similar experiences?
What do you think is the likely outcome of this?

I received the offers around 4pm yesterday so by the time I managed to reply offices were closed so I won't hear back until Monday.
Original post by icapturethecastle
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding what to do about this situation I'm in.

I've managed to gain interest from a huge scientific publishing company and am currently facing a difficult decision. I've been shortlisted for 'The Job' I'd love versus a regular job, paying less. Both jobs are in exactly the same office for the same company. I thought the HR department would know about how I'd applied for 7 (yes, 7) roles for the company... :colondollar:

1) Job offer paying £17k, starting 10th June - roles are mainly administrative tasks and it was stressed in the interview that this is a very repetitive and tedious job.

2) About 10 minutes before I got the job offer by email I was emailed by the editor asking to do a test. If I pass the test well I'll be interviewed. Interviews are held 3rd June. It pays £24k.

I've emailed HR saying I'd love to take up job 1, and I'd only reconsider if I was successful for job 2. I am so grateful for getting both opportunities as I know how dire the job market is at the moment. I think my email has been as polite and as grateful sounding as possible without sounding too greedy/desperate.

I received the offers around 4pm yesterday so by the time I managed to reply offices were closed so I won't hear back until Monday.

If that happened in my company as I was employing you for job 1, I'd say good luck with job 1. I'll send the contract paperwork etc once you've heard back from job 2.

There's no great problem for most organisations. Job 1 wants you and thought you were the best of the candidates, so there's no great surprise that if you applied to more than one job at a time (and who doesn't) you might get two interviews etc, especially with the same company.
Original post by threeportdrift
If that happened in my company as I was employing you for job 1, I'd say good luck with job 1. I'll send the contract paperwork etc once you've heard back from job 2.

There's no great problem for most organisations. Job 1 wants you and thought you were the best of the candidates, so there's no great surprise that if you applied to more than one job at a time (and who doesn't) you might get two interviews etc, especially with the same company.

Thanks for your reply.

During the interview of job 1 they stressed they really do want to fill it ASAP. Similarly the email asking to complete the test for job 2 said the same thing. That's my main worry, job 1 doesn't want to wait for me to find out as they need someone immediately.
Thanks for your reply.

During the interview of job 1 they stressed they really do want to fill it ASAP. Similarly the email asking to complete the test for job 2 said the same thing. That's my main worry, job 1 doesn't want to wait for me to find out as they need someone immediately.

It doesn't matter, it's for the company to work out. You have a job offer and an interview - they won't and can't go back on either offer.
Original post by threeportdrift
It doesn't matter, it's for the company to work out. You have a job offer and an interview - they won't and can't go back on either offer.

Ah cool. Thank you. Technically I've not got the interview for job 2 yet as it's on the basis I pass a test which I'm going to email by tomorrow.

I guess I was worried they'd give me an ultimatum. Take job 1 or leave it but they won't wait about for me to get an answer from job 2 (they've got different line managers)...

Similar situation happened with my GF. She went for one job. They said no. She applied for the second job and was hesitant about applying for it as she's been rejected for the 1st job.

She got the second job and was told later that they were so impressed with her in the first job interview, that although she hadn't got it, had she not applied for the second job they would've phoned her up and asked her to apply for it.

Get your foot in the door and take any job. Dream jobs don't just materalise, but you'll find it easier to get to a happy conclusion once you're working within the company.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Similar situation happened with my GF. She went for one job. They said no. She applied for the second job and was hesitant about applying for it as she's been rejected for the 1st job.

She got the second job and was told later that they were so impressed with her in the first job interview, that although she hadn't got it, had she not applied for the second job they would've phoned her up and asked her to apply for it.

Get your foot in the door and take any job. Dream jobs don't just materalise, but you'll find it easier to get to a happy conclusion once you're working within the company.

My brother advised me something similar, he said to take the job offered but I had to give it a go with the second job otherwise I can imagine being upset in the office with job 1 watching someone else with my dream job. I'm mega grateful and let them know that in the email.

Hope the company can help me work towards something. Eek!
My brother advised me something similar, he said to take the job offered but I had to give it a go with the second job otherwise I can imagine being upset in the office with job 1 watching someone else with my dream job. I'm mega grateful and let them know that in the email.

Hope the company can help me work towards something. Eek!

Dream jobs don't just happen. My GF thought Job 1 was her dream job. Turned out that the 2nd job has tuned out to be hr dream job. You'll also tend to find that a lot of companies will recruit internally. Providing you've got the skills set they're looking for it's easy to transfer jobs.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Dream jobs don't just happen. My GF thought Job 1 was her dream job. Turned out that the 2nd job has tuned out to be hr dream job. You'll also tend to find that a lot of companies will recruit internally. Providing you've got the skills set they're looking for it's easy to transfer jobs.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Where I'm at now that's definitely the case re recruiting internally etc.

Thank you for your advice :h:
Took the first job.

B)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending